Target

Target Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.2 7,773 reviews

John J. Mulligan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights
7,773 Employee Reviews

Valuable for developing skills and views on product lines and the knowledge behind how suppliers work.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsGreat Work life balance and a good way to build your skills and knowledge in sales areas.

ConsCurrently no clear business plan beyond "undercut the other guy"
    No real communication between upper management and everyday sales staff.

My experience at Target has shaped who I am. It has been a very enjoyable place to work up until the last year.

ProsThe hours are flexible and the people are great to work with.

ConsHighly Political.
    Conflicting decision making causing rework.
    Insufficient training.

Advice to Senior ManagementInform staff of changes early and the benefits of such changes. Involve them somewhat in decision making. Most of all, be more considerate to staff member's needs. Happy staff who look forward to coming to work are more likely to deliver the high level of customer service that you strive for.

horrible

Barista (Current Employee) Sydney

Prosfood isGOOD ENOUGHT TO EAT AND NICE TO EAT

Consannoying people LONG HOURS AND GETS HUNGRY ON JOB

Advice to Senior Managementhire better people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) Melbourne

Pros- Decent wage for the level of monotonous work with little effort required.

Cons- Management rarely shows up to deal with angry customers when called. They will communicate over the hand phones to avoid dealing with the problem directly.
    - They will purposely split the shifts in a way to avoid giving you a meal break.
    - They often keep you back 10mins after work, so they don't have to pay you for 15mins overtime.
    - Uninspiring attitude among most workers as it is only a temporary job for them.

Not always 100% happy

Casual Employee (Former Employee) Toowoomba

Pros- Decent pay for a Casual employee
    - Meet new people
    - Laugh at the customers who fight over toys during toy sale

Cons- No real training
    - No task requires you to think
    - Repetitive and utter lack of enthusiasm to make things interesting
    - HR is non-existent (i.e. no rewards for staff)
    - Management favouritism evident
    - Casual workers perform better than the full-time workers
    - Lack of leadership at times

Advice to Senior ManagementA couple of thinks
    - HR needs a lot of help
    - Making 70-75% of the store is losing valuable custom, revenue and in turn the label 'department store'
    - CEO needs to go on Undercover Boss urgently!

It isn't too bad as a casual position.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGood place to meet people and build customer service skills.

ConsRetail industry is in a hole. Lower management is very underpaid and not worth it. Opportunity to get more shifts if you're casual.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be reasonable. Answer questions, don't just put people down for not knowing certain things. Listen to ideas and actually think about the good ones. Listen to staff who work in specific areas regularly (who can know a lot more than higher level managers about that specific area).

Okay for a highschool job

Sales (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsFriendly people to work with (on the same level as me, the managers weren't great)
    Customers are generally nice and friendly

ConsOld fashioned managers
    Managers who weren't fit for the job
    Staff become frantic when it's busy (peak shopping times of the year, ie christmas, easter)

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for bullies.
    I was put in serveral situations when I felt like I couldn't say "No" to overtime being asked of me, even when I had prior commitments, due to bullying manager.

Work Experience

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsDefinitely recommend this place as a starter job. Everyone is friendly all they care about is the guest and trying to makes them feel comfortable. They have little recognitions meetings.

ConsIt was seasonal, so everything had to be fast pace. The slower workers would get called out if they were doing there job slow.

Good company

Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee)

ProsTarget has a great culture and good benefits. Amazing community support and opportunity for advancement. Policies are administered fairly and consistently.

ConsWorking for Target headquarters and not living in Minnesota means a lot of conference calls early in the morning and a lot of travel to Minnesota.

Fun company, but a challenge to be noticed

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsUnlimited sick days, which is brilliant considering most people on average take less than what would otherwise be offered at other companies. It was also very easy to work remotely if need be on said sick days.

Target is very team oriented - depending on the team and division you're placed in, you could have a very terrible experience or an incredibly fun experience. You have meetings, eat lunch, and go to happy hours with your team. I didn't enjoy my training team as much and considered quitting a few times, but decided to stick it out. I'm glad I did because the team I was placed in was great and helped me build confidence in my abilities.

There is a very deep feedback culture, which I personally do enjoy. It's not easy hearing that you framed something up poorly, or that nobody could hear what you were saying because you were too quiet, but as long as they are tangible things to work on, why wouldn't you want to improve upon them? It might not be the best method for everyone, but I found it very helpful.

The division I worked in was very fun, and we frequently had FFF (fast fun and friendly) division-wide events that got us out of the office. For example, we would volunteer together, go to Twins games, or raise money for charity through a dodgeball competition. Work life balance was really great, and most people were out by noon on Fridays if there was nothing to do.

Definitely a challenging role that teaches you the ins and outs of the business. I by-passed 5 years of allocation roles in the Retail industry with my 1.5 years at Target, showing just how in-depth the training is and how transferable the skills are.

ConsMost people that come in as a Business Analyst are very accomplished, bright, eager people, which makes it a very fun environment to work in. It also makes it incredibly difficult to stand out. You start to realize that it's not about how awesome your project it, it's about how you SELL your story to others. It becomes about who's tightest with their Director and other Managers on the floor, not necessarily who's the most accomplished.

Networking is incredibly important, and I know that's something I always needed to work on. Rubbing elbows with people I am generally not interested in getting to know does not appeal to me, and it's tiring to force it to get a promotion. I hear that there's a back-up in the pipeline and there are minimal promotions as of late, making the competition even worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to hear the complaints of your direct reports, and make a conscious effort to promote positive change. There is a fit for everyone at Target, you just need to make the effort. The happier and more comfortable your team is with each other, the better they will work together. So call the babysitter and go on that all-night ragefest... your team will thank you!

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!