Target

Target President, CEO, and Director Gregg W. Steinhafel

Gregg W. Steinhafel

(3,353 ratings)

6,717 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"
    in 204 reviews
  • "the interview process is different, but I always work with great team members"
    in 585 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance has gone down hill in the last 6 months with some structure changes"
    in 438 reviews
  • "I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions"
    in 558 reviews

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 8 years

Prosfood isGOOD ENOUGHT TO EAT AND NICE TO EAT

Consannoying people LONG HOURS AND GETS HUNGRY ON JOB

Advice to Senior Managementhire better people

My experience at Target has shaped who I am. It has been a very enjoyable place to work up until the last year.

I have been working at Target

ProsThe hours are flexible and the people are great to work with.

ConsHighly Political.
Conflicting decision making causing rework.
Insufficient training.

Advice to Senior ManagementInform staff of changes early and the benefits of such changes. Involve them somewhat in decision making. Most of all, be more considerate to staff member's needs. Happy staff who look forward to coming to work are more likely to deliver the high level of customer service that you strive for.

Meh

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Target as an intern for more than a year

Pros- Decent wage for the level of monotonous work with little effort required.

Cons- Management rarely shows up to deal with angry customers when called. They will communicate over the hand phones to avoid dealing with the problem directly.
- They will purposely split the shifts in a way to avoid giving you a meal break.
- They often keep you back 10mins after work, so they don't have to pay you for 15mins overtime.
- Uninspiring attitude among most workers as it is only a temporary job for them.

Not always 100% happy

Casual Employee (Former Employee)
Toowoomba

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros- Decent pay for a Casual employee
- Meet new people
- Laugh at the customers who fight over toys during toy sale

Cons- No real training
- No task requires you to think
- Repetitive and utter lack of enthusiasm to make things interesting
- HR is non-existent (i.e. no rewards for staff)
- Management favouritism evident
- Casual workers perform better than the full-time workers
- Lack of leadership at times

Advice to Senior ManagementA couple of thinks
- HR needs a lot of help
- Making 70-75% of the store is losing valuable custom, revenue and in turn the label 'department store'
- CEO needs to go on Undercover Boss urgently!

It isn't too bad as a casual position.

I have been working at Target

ProsGood place to meet people and build customer service skills.

ConsRetail industry is in a hole. Lower management is very underpaid and not worth it. Opportunity to get more shifts if you're casual.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be reasonable. Answer questions, don't just put people down for not knowing certain things. Listen to ideas and actually think about the good ones. Listen to staff who work in specific areas regularly (who can know a lot more than higher level managers about that specific area).

Okay for a highschool job

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Target

ProsFriendly people to work with (on the same level as me, the managers weren't great)
Customers are generally nice and friendly

ConsOld fashioned managers
Managers who weren't fit for the job
Staff become frantic when it's busy (peak shopping times of the year, ie christmas, easter)

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for bullies.
I was put in serveral situations when I felt like I couldn't say "No" to overtime being asked of me, even when I had prior commitments, due to bullying manager.

Great Company to work for if you are single and have no other responsibilities.

I have been working at Target

ProsAmazing co-workers and management seems to really care about its employees.
The company its really flexible when it comes to schedules. This is a good place to work for if you are a college student because you can take what Target calls a "leave of absence" and they will "save" your job until you get back from college. The leave of absence is good for a whole year so you need to come back to work at least once a year.

ConsDifficult to move up from within. Target prefers to get its ETL's Executive Team Leaders (managers) from the outside. So if you are a college graduate and they offer you a position that it's not salary based DO NOT take it because it is really difficult to move up once you accept the offer no matter what they tell you. I know a gentleman who is a college graduate and he took an hourly position with the expectation that in the future he was going to be promoted to a salary position and that has not happened after a few years. So either take their offer to become an ETL or find another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of letting a bunch of people (Headquarters) who have never work in a true retail setting make all the recommendations on how to improve operations. Talk to the people we are there, day-in and day-out and know how to fix whatever problems arise.

Great money, awesome people, hard work, long shifts

Distribution Center MBP (Former Employee)
Wilton, NY (US)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is great at the distribution centers, but expect to work very very hard for it. Wonderful 401k with 5% match. Very team oriented. Awesome coworkers. Very professional atmosphere. Positive uplifting culture. Very clean building inside and out. Top notch equipment. Several vending machines in break rooms including cold items like sandwiches and salads. Many yearly work functions and events to build the bond and improve team morale. Ability to swap days off with other TM's with GL's signed approval. Thorough training. Constantly revamping best practices to be more efficient. Morning startup meetings to inform everybody the days business needs as well as "all team meetings" a few times a year to talk business and what to expect for the upcoming months, often with a food catered celebration following. Target is HUGE on safety (to avoid lawsuits for work related injuries). Tuition assistance. ATM on sight. The warehouse is like a little mini city :-)

ConsNot much advancement for people without a 4 year degree. Lead roles are filled with fresh out of college graduates who know nothing about the business. The quotas are not always 100% obtainable. You will get written up if you do not hold a 100% average. If you fall below 100%, Group Leaders manipulate employees into thinking they are not good employees. If your average does not increase within 2 weeks, the process of corrective action will begin. No other factors will be considered. Group Leaders will shun you, make you feel unimportant, harass you, set you up to fail, and chase you out if you do not perform. This is not the Group Leader's fault; this trickles down from higher management. Additionally, it is very hard to get the weekday shift. I was there 2 months shy of 5 years and I was stuck with 12 hrs shifts EVERY Saturday, Sunday & Monday, with no sign of change. Mandatory overtime could be a stickler sometimes. If you do not come in for this, you will be written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuotas should be derived by the products which the stores in your region actually carry; not what all stores across the country carry. Stock varies increasingly with different areas of the country. Sometimes, the quotas vs. volumes were right on point, but there were A LOT of times when they did not correlate with each other. Shame on you - you have lost many dedicated employees because of this, including me.

Shifts should go back to where every employee has at least 1 weekend day off. People have kids and we miss out on so much, just to earn a living with your company. After a while, it just wasn't worth it anymore to me.

Fast moving company that still makes it fun!

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, great resources, consistant call to action, industry leader

ConsLarge time commitment and workload, opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster and grow cross pyramid growth, talent sharing and resources

Great Company

Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee)
Hiram, GA (US)

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

ProsTarget provides thorough training with opportunities later to cross train. They encourage a team player atmosphere where everyone helps everyone (none of that it's not my department mentality) The company acknowledges those providing great guest service to boost morale and show appreciation.

ConsTarget puts a lot of pressure on getting guest to sign up for the Target Credit or Debit Red Card, They do weekly talks with each cashier and back up cashier about your conversion rates. In the shadow of the security breech and still receiving backlash from the situation, I feel it's unfair if our number of signups has remained on a decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer competitive pay and raises. Do more for loss prevention.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Target CEO Gregg W. Steinhafel. All 6,717 reviews are posted anonymously by Target employees.