Teach for America

Updated 15 November 2014
Updated 15 November 2014
3.8

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • opportunities for professional development and taking on big jobs early in one's career (in 50 reviews)

• Passionate, intelligent colleagues, great benefits and option to work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge (in 42 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Professional Development

Former Employee - Corps Member
    Former Employee - Corps Member

I worked at Teach for America as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

TFA provides ample opportunities to explore your leadership and teaching style. There is a huge network of people to help you determine how you fit into the larger picture of educational equality. You have to be willing to take advantage of it.

Cons

At first, it can feel a bit competitive and as though you are on your own when in your classroom. At times, it is difficult to know if the organization's focus is on creating strong teachers for students or creating strong leaders.

Provide more time to focus on lesson planning in a way that can provide better work-life balance.

Corps Member

Current Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at Teach For America are great. Great culture and environment to work in.

Cons

Prepare to work a ton. Worked longer hours than any other job before or after. Tough gig.

Come dedicated. Wonderful resources.

Former Employee - Teacher in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Teacher in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great resources for improving teaching skills and developing a deeper knowledge of the work you do.

Cons

One of the most stressful environments (classroom) that you could work in so make sure you prepare yourself mentally.

Allow more resources towards mental health services. The environments we teach in can be highly stressful and have negative effects in the long run.

CLICHE ALERT: Hardest thing I've ever done, one of the most rewarding

Current Employee - Corps Member
    Current Employee - Corps Member

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Contrary to quick assumptions, TFA corps members develop invaluable skills on the job that most 21st century workplaces value highly. Analytical skills are a big part of the TFA experience if you are using data properly and effectively in your classroom - and I've seen firsthand that data makes a big difference. If you teach math you also have the opportunity to work on your quantitative skills in the classroom - for example I have experience teaching Algebra 1, 2, Geometry and Calculus - I would probably ace the math part of the GRE or GMAT after this experience. There are so many other skills I could go on and on, time management, stress management (you will be really stressed), qualitative skills such as developing and executing presentations (teachers do it everyday).

All of this and I haven't even mentioned the fact that you are touching the lives of children every single day you go to work.

Cons

There are a lot of cons as well. Prepared to be thrown to the wolves. I figured I had been successful my entire life so I wouldn't fall into that trap - WRONG. I never felt like more of a failure in my life than the first year of teaching. Was in a manic depression, hated my job, thought I was going to quit. I stuck it out and tried a lot of different things to make it better. There is SOME support by TFA, but when you work in the worst school districts in your state, there is only so much they can do. Institute does not prepare you for running your own classroom - it's just the fact of the matter.

Thankfully, I am having and amazing 2nd year after a lot of introspection over the summer. Completely different ballgame this year.

I'm not sure what I would change. The TFA experience is what it is and TFA is doing its best to prepare corps members for that.

Great organization to help children.

Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If the opportunity to help disadvantaged children improve their education is something that excites you then this is the place to make a difference. There are some exciting opportunities you may want to explore.

Cons

It is no secret that being a teacher is a difficult position.

Overall good experience

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time

Pros

I learned a lot in a short amount of time. I was surrounded by people who all had the same mission and goals. The process for becoming a teacher is incredibly streamlined and made to be less confusing than it actually is.

Cons

The biggest challenge for me was the lack of support during Institute. We weren't taught how to work together and that made for a competitive and at times toxic environment.

Start Institute with a session on how to work with colleagues

Worth Every Minute

Current Employee - Teach for America Corps Member in Rocky Mount, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Teach for America Corps Member in Rocky Mount, NC (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Amazing Support the Company Provide

Cons

Transitioning to Teaching From Different Profession

A great experience that gave me a clearer picture of education issues in the US.

Former Employee - Corps Member in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will work with incredibly driven, hard-working people. Feedback is valued and asked for often from TFA as an organization

Cons

It is very hard to have work life balance and feel like you're completing all of your responsibilities as a teacher.

Corps Member / 6th grade teacher

Current Employee - TFA Corps Member in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - TFA Corps Member in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of training while you are teaching. Lots of support.

Cons

Not a ton of training prior to teaching.

More training prior to teaching

Challenging, but worth it

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

TFA has really helped support me in my development as a teacher. I actually did major in education in college, yet I feel as though I learned more with TFA/Institute than over my 4 years at my "highly accredited" university. The fact that they encourage teacher growth/development but finding you stipends for your masters degree is also really incredible

Cons

It is VERY tough work and almost nothing can truly, fully prepare you for being a teacher in a very high-needs/high-demands area