Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org

Teach for America Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • If you are with a supportive corps, excellent professional development (in 43 reviews)

• It's nice to know that you're making a difference in people's lives (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge (in 36 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Experience as Teach For America Corps Member

High School Teacher (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsTFA does an excellent job preparing new teachers during Institute IF (and this is a big if) the individual takes advantage of the experience. TFA also provides excellent support and professional development opportunities throughout the year, though each region may have differences. If you want an experience where you learn and grow while helping students learn, this is a great choice.

ConsYou have to want to work and figure out a way to learn from all your mistakes without taking anything personally. Teaching is not easy - it takes someone who does not step away from a challenge. Additionally, TFA can be a bit too corporate at times, focusing more on data and results and not the journey for both the corps member and the students.

TFA has been an incredibly rewarding and humbling experience.

Corps Member (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsI learned a lot about myself and developed as a professional. It was great to be in the city and network. If you're a teacher, it's a great place to start. If you didn't inted to be a teacher, it is still an AMAZING experience.

ConsSome people are a bit over-the-top. Training can be underwhelming in certain aspects, but it is continually improving.

I taught at a charter high school in Detroit, Michigan.

Corps Member (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsSome of the perks were a great group of people to make friends with. Other corps members could help you with your move to Detroit, and were an immediate social network. Additionally, my school was an especially supportive place with strong leadership, (though this is not true of every school in Detroit--at all).

ConsIn my region, the issues that corps members had with their schools were greater than the issues that TFA regularly addressed (the main example being school administration). TFA walks a fine line, because at the same time as it helps corps members, it also needs to maintain good relationships with districts, including some terribly-managed districts. This occasionally leaves corps members feeling unsupported.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on the balance between helping teachers and working with districts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with many intelligent people.

ProsGreat leadership development and full benefits. Alumni networking is a plus.

ConsLong hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year.

Amazing!

Corps Member Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe best thing about working at Teach For America is the family you create while working there.

ConsThe hours are long and tiresome if you are not driven by passion

Awesome internship experience with a growing non-profit

Anonymous (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsAwesome office culture- everyone is very friendly, lots of team lunches and happy hours. Managers really push you to explore your interests within the organization and provide countless opportunities for training and education.

ConsSome disorganization form upper-level leadership

Lots of work... but totally worth it.

Math Teacher (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsYou will have really long hours and very difficult days where everything seems dire... but you will undoubtably go through a life-changing experience with your students.

ConsSometimes feels very corporate and disorganized. Insider culture. Working with kids and administration is tough.

Great, smart people and organization values! Working on sustainability.

ProsSeriously smart, motivated, driven, curious people who want to learn and want to do good. Always quality work. Feels motivating to work amongst that.
    Also, the organization as a whole is just so deeply reflective and willing (and wanting!) to learn. Mistakes are made (like in any place) but I'm so impressed by TFA's immediate desire to listen, learn, and grow.

ConsAt the end of the day, TFA has a mission to serve others. But, that non-profit status coupled with the high achievement stance and urgency for results, means lots of work (long hours, pressure, etc.) with (at least for me) inadequate pay. That's only so sustainable for so long. I think room for individual growth/promotion can also stagnate, given the now really large size of the org.

horrible and unorganized

Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Proslife changes in students, relationships with collab team as well as strong relationships with students who do not usually have relationships with teachers

Consthey aren't really teaching students anything because they use lower end work and of course students will understand. Not really changing lives but want to make money of off students

Campus Coordinator Internship

Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) Hanover, NH (US)

ProsTeach for America has a strong name brand. Every employer recognizes it and will usually comment on it. I assume that the "white man savior" image crosses all sort of disciplines. The people I generally interacted with really care about the mission and what TFA represents. They were generally very positive and mention the various benefits being associated with the organization.

ConsI question the ethnics of Teach for America and the negative affects it has on the unions within public schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your original mission.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!