Tech Data

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky

Bob Dutkowsky

Pros
  • So far the company has held true to their promise of work/life balance for their hourly employees(in 5 reviews)

• Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The management team continuously over commit and look towards development staff to bail them out by working long hours(in 4 reviews)

• Immediate management team will not support growth if they do not agree(in 4 reviews)

Low pay, nice environment

Human Resources Senior Associate (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL (US)

ProsGlobal Organization, Big company in the Tampa Bay Area, Work-Life balance, Education reimbursement.

ConsPay practices (below the market), Career opportunities,

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your pay practices

Simple work, ridiculous politics

Manager, Area Logistics (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsThe company is very aware of the need for SOPs, especially safety. The facility was kept relatively clean. There was a training resource center available to associates. It's a 3PL, so the work was a no-brainer.

ConsWAY too many politics for what is essentially a warehouse. Senior management at the branch level WAY too interested in power a cushioning themselves from blame. If they cannot burn you without throwing themselves on the flame, they will get another senior manager to do it for them. Had my suggestions shot down, only to be submitted by my senior manager as his own. They had too many eggs in one basket with a single account and would not heed to obvious suggestions when I raised about diversification. The writing was on the wall and after I left, that account was lost, resulting in loss of revenue and loss of jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope it has changed since I left, but many perfectly qualified and valuable people were marginalized over inner-office politics. Let the managers manage the work and keep senior management in their offices. Don't be so afraid of unionization that you let the associates dictate the policies.

Great company!

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGrowth, Stable, Opportunities, Connections, Great perks

Conscompensation, corporate policy, politics, hours, professionalism

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better attention to who you says things to...Some information should remain in HR. Too much mingling occurs between work and personal lives. THe industry seems to be very small and word travels quickly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

torture

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL (US)

Prosfree food and more free food

Consmentally draining/daily phone grind/selling over priced goods. The commissions are designed to always keep the carrot farther away so you can never really make a living wage.

Advice to Senior Managementmake systems easier way too much clutter and extra micro management

review

Prosgrowth, opportunity, location, co workers

Conscompensation, job titles, hard to move departments

Not bad at all

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary is decent, benefits are not bad

ConsToo "corporate", very low flexibility, extremely close-minded company. Workers feel like robots sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should probably encourage a more flexible work environment. Granted, it's a sales-oriented company, but even then original ideas should be welcome

Overall Very Positive, But Company Needs to Align With Customer Satisfaction

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

Pros-Good support from senior leadership.
    -I could develop my own innovative ideas which were heard and appreciated by senior leadership.
    -Many experienced people who were willing to help.
    -Positive, collaborative work environment.

Cons-Short-sighted. All that mattered were that quarters' results.
    -Financially dominated and run, even though they say they are customer-focused.
    -Too conservative and risk-averse, which made it difficult to run against more aggressive competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truly customer focused instead of just saying that that you are. Align executive bonuses to customer satisfaction, particularly those in non customer-facing roles such as Credit. Truly align every resource towards customer satisfaction, otherwise different departments will pull in different directions.

Overall, great people that are often shut down due to unnecessary bureaucracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience, good people

ConsManagement can have too much of a cyoa approach and nothing gets done

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to create a culture where people feel free to try new things

A Great Company to work for

Sales Department (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL (US)

ProsWhat a great ride it was being part of this organization during 20+ years of growth and change.

ConsWhile its nice to promote from within, a sprinkling of professionally trained managers would improve consistency of performance across the departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTech Data is dependent on vendor marketing funds. Wasteful spending could be curbed.

Good experiences, a lot more to be learned...

ProsPeople, location, employee central, sales perks from vendors

ConsSAP Software, Management absence, career path, high mark ups

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, reduce excessive meetings, consider reasonable goals, show appreciation, plan to build a "sales" software, balance salaries

Worked for Tech Data? Contribute to the Community!