Tech Data

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky

Bob Dutkowsky

Pros:
  • "So far the company has held true to their promise of work/life balance for their hourly employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "no guidance or coaching from management on career advancement"
    in 3 reviews
  • "There is NEVER any compensation for the long hours you put in"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent Employer

Middle Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTech Data cares for its employees and provides each employee numerous opportunities to learn and advance in their careers. The management team is top notch and strives to improve constantly the level of communication, rapport and pursuit of goals with the employees. Your not just a number at Tech Data, you make a significant difference in the role you serve in and for those interested, Tech Data and its employees also make a significant impact in the community for charitable causes.

ConsNone really. Truly enjoy working at Tech Data.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with your management techniques - its working. The company is fiscally strong, employees are engaged, we are gaining market share and growing revenue/margin at impressive rates. Feels good to be a part of a winning team!

Dynamic environment

I have been working at Tech Data full-time

Proscareer opportunities, good place to gain experience,

Constoo much stress, not enough fun

good place

Product Sales Champion (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood experience.
hi tech industry knowledge
recognized industry leader

Conslack of upward mobility
sometimes difficult to implement changes

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the people who are on the front lines talking to customers. we know what they need and want

excelent company, great opportunities to learn and grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tech Data full-time

Prosresults drive, process oriented, outstanding reporting tool, good culture & spirit, clear strategy

Conslow margins in IT distribution

if you are in with the senior VP, you wont have to worry about your job!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tech Data full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you teach yourself the job, you'll be OK. And if you are in with the Higher ups, you'll be set. Just watch out, they do a reduction in force every February.

Consyou will not be able to move into a higher position unless someone dies OR you are liked by all managers. You will be worked to the bone and only be told how the managers did good to achieve what needed to be done. There is NEVER any compensation for the long hours you put in. MAYBE a vendor buck! if you are not liked, the managers do not hide that fact. If you are a temp you really need to careful. This company has a revolving door and they do not need an excuse to let you go. There is never any room for improvement. even if you suggest something to manager or directors that could possibly better the company,it will never be YOUR idea. they look at you like you have two heads, fire you for the suggestions, BUT they still implement the suggestion under their terms to make themselves look good. the senior management is deceitful, they even go after leads and areas managers just to save their own hides. The director also cannot make a decision unless he/she follows up with her favorite mangers, (who need to be fired). If you like to be lied to then this is the company to work for. They have the lowest starting rate, can't keep their customers happy, but STILL manage to blame the employees instead of looking at themselves. If they didn't have a reduction in force (letting go veterans of the company) EVERY February, then maybe they would be able to keep their customers happy, instead of bringing in new people who consistently screw up. Oh, and lets not forget to mention, DO NOT give a bad review on your "anonymous" Pulse survey. Magically, the people who tell it like it is, tend to get fired!!

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many chiefs, not enough Indians. Listen to your employees, they are the ones actually doing the job while you sit on your butts looking only at numbers. stop trying to head hunt!!! Keep the temps that actually work. Don't base your opinions on if the person looks good or not!!

Tech Data is Good Company, IT Senior Management is horrible

IT Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTech data is a good company to work for, the benefits are good although compensation is below market value. Sales have decreased significantly because many customers are unhappy with the new SAP implementation and have taken their business else where, the expectation is that Tech Data will survive but not without more cut backs and layoff's in the near future

ConsThe IT Department is a dysfunctional organization, constant battles with other teams just to achieve a simple task or achieve common goals, serious politics run rampant, professionalism does not exist at any level, a lot of useless finger pointing with the common phase "It's not my fault". Senior IT management has no clue how to manage people except to threatening their jobs and protect their favorites, you'll work hard and long hours and receive little in return. I foresee more layoffs than the 10 that occurred this week in IT alone, some loyal people with more than 20 years of dedicated service with the company were sent packing, definitely no loyalty for those that have worked hard over many years to make Tech Data what it is today.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue, listen to your people and value loyalty, experience and skills.

Tech Data Italy vs Tech Data Top Management's View

Business Unit Manager (Former Employee)
San Giuliano Milanese (Italy)

I worked at Tech Data full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLong term and clear International Top Management View, Employees' care, Shared Objectives and Strategies, outstanding Information System

ConsLow Local Very Top management competencies

Great place to work. Great culture.

Corporate Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible, stable, and over all great place to work.

ConsCould improve career pathing but if you perform you are rewarded

Good company to work for

Marketing Account Executive (Current Employee)
Clearwater, FL (US)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than a year

ProsGood corporate culture.
Room to grow
Good starting point for career in IT disti
Great executive leadership

ConsLack of formal training
Mediocre middle management

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize a training and on boarding process for ALL positions

Own your own business, but politics are everywhere

Product Sales Champion (Former Employee)

I worked at Tech Data full-time for more than 3 years

ProsModerate salary allows for survival when you don't hit 100% bonus. It's easy to be promoted if you start at the bottom. Your skills and talent will outshine a lack of degree or other shortcomings. You're given ownership of your sales cycle and marketing in some cases.

ConsPolitics come before all else; If you play the game and make friends with everyone, you'll be just fine. Your success and enjoyment of the position really depends on your team, manager and who you interact with on a daily basis. It's a campus of 2,500 people, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't freak out about phone stats. Track your PSCs by their goal achievement and don't worry about whether it's coming by e-mail, IM or phone. Not all of our customers enjoy being interrupted by a phone call when they asked for an e-mail.

Worked for Tech Data? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tech Data reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Tech Data CEO Bob Dutkowsky. All 89 reviews are posted anonymously by Tech Data employees.