Ted Baker London Reviews

Updated 30 August 2014

2.8

Robert Breare

Amazing team work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist  in  Heathrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Specialist in Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for less than a year

Pros

The uniform and clothes is enough to make me happy to work there! But the working atmosphere is amazing, probably the most enjoyable job ive had in retail. I learnt a lot very quickly whilst working there and you support the brand and want to support your team. The managers are friendly and manage the team really well. The Teducation is a great scheme which teaches the ethics of retail. I developed a lot of confidence and I wish I was still there!

Cons

I cant think of any. If youre not work driven or cannot multi-task under pressure then thats something to consider. It involves a lot of hard work which I love

More individual observation/reviews to develop the potential for employees to move up within the company.

Interesting Environment

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good business , they want everyone to learn and grow!

Cons

Its all about who Management likes.

Excellent Experience at Lenox Atlanta

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ted Baker London part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love everything about working at Ted! Great pay for working retail, great team, nice bonus checks, the product practically sells itself. --I have to address some of the Atlanta reviews because I'm feeling like bitter individuals are just spreading utter lies and I wouldn't want anyone considering working for Ted Lenox to confused-- A. The person who claimed to be a current employee at Ted who go fired for being overweight HAD to be a bogus review. Who are you?!? I'm a female and by far the biggest female on our team (size 14-16) and my job has never been threatened because if it. That review was just bogus. B. I don't know whether this reviewer had a different manager then me but we definitely don't have weak leadership. Ken is the current manager and he's pretty awesome. You don't have to take my word, obviously we are doing very well under his management. A manager doesn't have to be a tool to be respected.
    The team actually has a great manager and assistant manager who are both excellent communicators and fun to work with. You will never be confused about where you stand and what you need to improve on. Both managers, while respected, are fun to be around. Definitely not the typical dreaded feeling in retail of having your manager breath down your neck constantly or anything. Everyone is well trained and equipped to do things for themselves and take initiative without being told to.

Cons

While I have no qualms with my team there are a few minor cons about working in a concession store inside of Bloomingdales

Size 5-- I don't like the fact that we do not carry a size 5 in store! Nordstrom has it and it creates competition where it shouldn't be since we obviously have the fuller Ted collection.

No benefits-- I don't like that as a part timer I don't receive benefits. Insurance outside of a company is always more costly for less coverage.

Bloomingdales-- The most annoying, if not ONLY annoying thing about working in a concession store is being in the middle of Bloomingdales shark-like sales people who don't always value connecting with the customer and selling the merchandise in a fashion that will avoid returns. It can be very frustrating. I do find myself having to guard my sales from bloomies associates and keep the peace to avoid severing relationships on the floor, its a balancing act.

Bloomingdales Return Policy- The return policy just sucks. I don't know how else to say it. They take back everything, and in a town where stylists return worn things constantly and people simply buy things knowing they are going to wear an item once and return it, the store has GOT to hold customers and sales clerks taking back returns more accountable.

None. I'm pretty satisfied with the company overall.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very educational experience....

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ted Baker took the time to educate me in my role, and learnt me all you need to know to succeed in my role and beyond. Great uniform allowance and staff discount policy. Work as a team in all aspects.

Cons

Ted baker were sometimes stuck in their ways with the management side of the business. I felt if the face fits you were given the opportunity regardless of experience i.e if you the perfect person for the job but your face didn't fit there was a problem. Being a homosexual and wanting to express my personality which Ted approved to an extent i was punished for this in several ways.

Improved allowance.

Waste of time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time

Pros

They really try to involve you in their products ie. where the inspiration comes from and how you can style a customer to look 'Ted'. They give you a journal so you can take notes which is handy for referring to. Genuinely nice, well made products so sales targets were usually pretty realistic and achievable. You also get paid every two weeks which is good.

Cons

30 hour contracts at minimum wage, meaning obscenely poor annual salary despite selling products worth, on average, about a hundred pounds a piece. This results in a high turnover of staff and means that everyone is contantly learning which seems to give senior members of staff a lot more work to do. The uniform discount is generous but you are only allocated a certain amount you can use that on which is less generous. If you imagine working four or five days a week and having to buy products that are one hundred pounds a piece you'll soon see the allowance the give you doesn't go very far, in which case you would be expected to spend more of your own money to cover the cost. Even if you did manage to stay within the allocation you still end up spending a fair amount on your uniform which, because of the poor wages, ends up being quite a big chunk of your first wage. A huge focus on appearance, wanted you to plaster (and i mean PLASTER) on the make up every day and wear high heels on saturdays (even though this is obviously the busiest day of the week and you will be running around like mad). They say that customers come first but actually a lot of silly rules are imposed which means customers are left waiting around. They have also only just began offering refunds if a customer wishes to return something, before this it was only an exchange or gift card which I actually think is pretty disgusting. It left 'the little people' working in the stores to enforce a shameless policy obviously chosen by someone much higher up intent on holding onto sales rather than the effect this would have on the companies reputation. This has been fixed now but certainly made for some uncomfortable conversations and extremely dissatisfied customers when I was there. In addition, I felt I was treated unfavourably when I handed my notice in.

I believe offering better salaries would solve a lot of your problems, give people something to stick around for. You have a lot of passionate members of staff working in your stores but i don't believe you suitably reward them for their efforts or really care about them. Basically, become a company with a soul.

Retail store working- boring, repetitive, lots of standing round and minimal staff benefits for poor pay

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff discount on clothes however at just 20% (i think it was) against the prices they sell stock at and the poor wages staff earn doesn't really make there stock much more affordable!

Cons

having moved from another popular high street womens clothes retailer the hourly pay was lower to say its such a high profile company. Sales staff are trusted with basically no extra responsibilities which having worked in retail previously is usually the norm to hand out extra responsibilities to staff to not just occupy there time but also give them a sense of job satisfaction and achievement. You spend most of your time un bagging clothes for the shop floor sent down the warehouse, and then later that day rebagging back up just as much stock to ship out somewhere else like another store or outlet. This seems to be a continuous circle of all you spend your time doing, or the occasional 'spacing' out of hangers on the shop floor so every piece of clothing is equally spaced the same distance apart! Other then this my management team seemed also to like the fact of recleaning already clean display shelves which you'd end up doing about twice every day just to 'look busy'. over all the job satisfaction is zero to none, the company needs to think of some serious ways to keep there staffs time occupied and boost morale.

Enlightening and fun!

Former Employee - Senior Sales  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work for Ted are obviously the clothes! Love their stuff and the style.The atmosphere is always great, in house promotions are predominately how they promote people so there is great chance to climb the ladder there.

Cons

No commission on sales. Very rigid with policies and sometimes targets can be set that can detract from main work too much.

Whilst I was there, before I was in management myself, in one store, management encouraged you and gave you incentives to complete sales/tasks/targets, whilst another, you would be punished (written warnings etc) for not doing so. I think it would help to keep things fair and consistent.

Dull.

Former Employee - Retail Assistant
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time for less than a year

Pros

-opportunities for training (sometimes)
    - 75% discount for uniform

Cons

-three month probation until till training, meaning you have to send customers to other staff member
    -unnecessary focus on apperance
    -when quiet, you have to repeatedly clean
    -obsession with bad service, leading to poor customer service
    -minimum wage for a job where they expect you to really care; about meeting data capture takings targets ectra. and where you have to offer a highly skilled sales and service experience.

Horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful clothing and great discounts

Cons

Very unfair policies if inside of department store. Was fired for being overweight which was quoted by the general manager. Way to much paperwork to fill out for just a sales person

If Ted Baker is within another store where they pay commission, even if they sell your clothing, then your employees should be paid commission as well

Unprofessional

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, opportunity for growth and customers are very passionate about the brand.

Cons

West Coast area manager is very unprofessional. I was very disappointed by the management culture and style . Gossip is encourage by Area manager.

Find someone who is professional, not just one person who can drive sales. Management should be a go to, but it currently is not.

Worked for Ted Baker London? Contribute to the Community!