Telefónica

Telefónica Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Telefónica President Cesar Alierta

Cesar Alierta

Pros
  • Nice culture overall (just not in the team I was working in) and work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Promote flexible working / allow working from home, where role permits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Faceless organisation where if you work in the extremities then you don't get a look-in from senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of appreciation and work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Constant change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExposure to different tech trends

ConsConstant transformation means things never settle down. Means the organisation never gets forward momentum,
    As people expect yet another restructure round the corner

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making people having to re apply for their jobs every 6 months in the UK

Constant change has exhausted good people's patience

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)

ProsInnovation areas get to try out ideas with new and exciting technology, the people are good, some are exceptional especially in wed dev, creative tech and innovation. If you can deliver the work, flexible work life balance is second to none.

ConsA dislocation from the reality of the market, and no real answer to the question of what happens to telcos in a digital future (Hint, you are a dumb pipe). Closing down of the Digital subsidiary not exactly an inspired move - chaos reigns. Any energy or enthusiasm has been wiped out, and pay levels that were below market rate might be acceptable when excitement is flowing - not so now. No real career progression available, and upper management is 99% male, white and predominately Spanish.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop level strategy is unclear, vacuous communication from leaders. Lower level strategy and day to day tactics either non-existent or poorly communicated - honestly, I couldn't tell which. This company has no real vision, chooses to hide behind jargon and management bs.

Great place to work, great benefits, so so salary.

Engineer (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat people. The company takes care of its own.

ConsLow wages and a lot of work with no processes.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't over work your people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer, Sr

Software Engineer (Current Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros- Lot of hard working and inteligente people;
    - Great culture and work/life balance;
    - People care genuinely about his company;
    - International experience, you work with a lot of different cultures that pushes the company and the team up;
    - Great development culture and process (agile development)
    - Strong sense of team;
    - They are open to a lot of technologies and follow the main best practices;
    - Is somewhat open about discussion the technology architecture;

Cons- A lot of structural changes that affects every one in the company and creates fear in people;
    - Working with different timezones sometimes is very difficult and frustrating;
    - Sometimes is hard to create empathy and trust across countries;
    - Projects born and die suddenly;
    - Management seen sometimes not know the business they are managing;

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many people owning the products, but no leaders to take real decisions;

Great environment in a new innovative company, unfortunately too much Telefonica legacy.

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosenvironment
    work-life balance
    opportunity to grow
    innovation
    approachability of senior leadership

Consno ownership
    slow moving
    too much Tef legacy, decisions now again made in Spain

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, empower middle management, hire outside talent and focus less on politics, get the digital talent in who are unlikely to be the managers that have been with the company for >10 years
    Be global instead of so Spain focused

Great place to work if you are willing to challenge yourself

ProsThey really want you to succeed but you have to be willing to work hard and push yourself. Fully supportive of taking risks. People do well if they produce results consistently. From a culture point of view they are totally people focused (as much as any company is)

ConsIts a big company now and change can take a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the plan

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

ProsGrowing and partnership, is a multinational enterprise

ConsRotation and the booses are very impositive

Great conditions, poor career development.

Engineer (Current Employee) Madrid (Spain)

ProsGreat place in terms of working hours, salary, benefits and pressure. Company with a presence in 20 countries, so it is possible to relocate. Superb office and good work atmosphere.

ConsVery large company, few opportunities to make an impact on your own. Poor career development, as you are assigned a task and can be doing that for ages. Even though it has presence in many countries, it does not operate as a multinational, but pretty much as local companies bundled together.

Great company and wonderful colleagues - Telefonica O2 Czech Republic

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) Prague (Czech Republic)

ProsI was lucky to work with amazing colleagues who were always willing to share their knowledge and know-how with me. I didn´t work that hard and my salary was more than competitive.Company bonuses are exceptional.

Consit was quite difficult to get promotion or get an important point across. My boss ignored my opinion and rather listened to senior workers even though their ideas weren´t always that clever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive young and motivated workers more space for develompent .

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople focused
    Great culture
    Lots of training
    Fast moving

ConsTough industry but makes for a more challenging role

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Worked for Telefónica? Contribute to the Community!