Tenet Healthcare Reviews

Updated 2 August 2014

2.7

Tenet Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Trevor Fetter
Trevor Fetter

Pros
  • My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013 (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers at the facility level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's all about money game for upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Patient care is often compromised due to lack of resources and run down facilities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employer

I worked at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Boss was felxable with my schedual

Cons

Tenet has had trouble in the past financialy, but seems to have made a turn around and has been doing well ever since. Be prepared to flex staff a lot, but this is true of most places, when things are slow they send you home. This can be hard especialy if it happens a lot.

dissapointing

Current Employee - CT Technologist  in  Palm Beach Gardens, FL (US)
    Current Employee - CT Technologist in Palm Beach Gardens, FL (US)

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

nice area to live but very expensive and the wages dont live up to it. close to a lot of cool stuff and very nice weather

Cons

understaffed over worked and under paid

Physician Practices

Current Employee - Manager  in  Roswell, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Roswell, GA (US)

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer a full benefits package - health, dental, vision, 401K. They don't expect any nights or weekend hours, overtime is limited.

Cons

Tenet knows how to run hospitals, but has been running the physician practices by trial and error. The success of the acquisition really comes down to the physicians and the manager since the corporate structure does not set up the practice for success.

Pick one initiative at a time. Focus on one or two areas of improvement and wait for things to improve before piling on more. It's a lot harder to do twenty things well versus two. Have consistent training so that the different offices still have some commonalities but understand that different speciality offices require different workflow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Demanding, but believe that my hard work is making a difference

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Paid Time Off has never been an issue for me. I have 25 days a year and can generally use them when I want. In addition I get 11 or more paid holidays off and perhaps one of the best perks is that the corporate office is closed during the week between Christmas and New Year's. My work-life balance has changed somewhat since the Vanguard Health Systems acquisition in the fall of 2013.

Cons

I still have a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours and telecommuting. Sometimes it feels like I work in more of a matrix organizational structure, which means getting pulled in several competing directions. This provides exposure to different areas of the business (=PRO), but can mean that managing projects and expectations can be difficult (=CON). There also tends to be a lack of communication and positive feedback. This tends to mean that decisions by management and steering committees often do not happen or when they do, they tend to result in rework.

Make sure to clearly communicate goals and expectations. Provide positive feedback to inspire your employees. And lastly, retain talent by talking to them and learning about their strengths and what makes them passionate about what they do. It's amazing what listening and a little feedback can do to energize your staff.

Hard work, low wages

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having a job, being employed

Cons

Unbelievable work loads, it us impossible to complete your workload unless you work 20hours a day. I am highly organized, experienced, and a hard worker, yet my management believes I need to work 24hours a day because she does. Unethical. Can't get time off when you need it, as taking time off is frowned upon. Work will be waiting for you when you return.

Spend some time in the trenches, see what is really going on.

Strong but static

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare for more than 8 years

Pros

Tenet is a capable organization with many strong individuals in key positions. Additionally, there is a high level of job stability available for those who are seeking lifetime or long term employment. Job roles are highly defined for those who seek a high level of structure in their job role.

Cons

Suffers from traditional large company issues. Multiple overlapping departments that work in silos with the this is someone else's job mentality.

Reorganize to align with operational requirements rather than functional needs to interject operational knowledge into process. Reduce resourcing redundancy and increase individual responsibility levels within the organization to promote ownership and improved results.

Good Company

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time

Pros

Forward thinking, recognizes needed changes. Company that will likely be ahead of the curve in the new healthcare environment. Having worked at several other hospitals I will say that they generally have their approach dialed in compared to others.

Cons

I can't really think if too many. All hospitals struggle with typical slow moving bureaucracy and creating strong cultures, so I would say that is systemic in the industry.

battlefield!

Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III  in  Des Peres, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Bio-Med Tech Bmet III in Des Peres, MO (US)

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a check and maybe a raise if they do not cheat you out of the annual raise, which they did twice to us.

Cons

Like working with terminal cancer!

Admin should Start addressing the working staff and not the management, to much fear in the corporate ladder they will tell you what you want to hear, all the while the working staff suffers. The worst place I have worked in 25 years and I was in the 90-91 desert storm war. “Quote” be lucky you have a job, beware of any company that has the balls to say this to a working employee.

Merger and Acquisition

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We were recently acquired and we are still trying to figure out what our place in the company will be. There have not been any major changes to date so I hope they are taking their time to analyze how the new facilities will be of value.

Cons

Feeling like we are not fully integrated into the company has been somewhat challenging. I look forward to being fully integrated with the legacy Tenet facilities.

Continue to keep open lines of communications. Benefits of healthcare companies should continuously improve. Leveraging the company's size to get the best value is very important.

Satisfactory

I have been working at Tenet Healthcare

Pros

Nationwide locations. Various employment opportunities.

Cons

High turnover rate in senior management.

Worked for Tenet Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!