Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated 8 September 2014
Updated 8 September 2014
3.2

Richard A. Hyde

TCEQ- Great place to work, under-paid employees, access to training

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work environment, less stress, no long hours

Cons

Low salaries, less growth opportunities.

Increase pay structure. Structure for faster growth.

As good as the state politics permit

Current Employee - Mickey Leland  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Mickey Leland in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hardworking, friendly employees, decent pays and benefits, beautiful headquarter campus

Cons

Old office facility, lots of nepotism, frustratingly slow and political bureaucracy

TCEQ

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time

Pros

Job happiness greatly depends on the department you're working in. Benefits of being a state employee are nice. Trainings and professional development are usually made available. Work life balance is good. A lot of hiring from within and various departments to find the best fit.

Cons

Upper management is pretty out of touch with the rest of staff. There can be a lot of impersonal / robotic interactions. While the work in some departments DO help the State of Texas/its people, others, are definitely affected by the Commissioner's and politicians' bureaucratic agenda - like Industrial and Hazardous Waste.

Have a backbone and promote those that do their job well. General encouragement is lacking. Better salaries (as most have said) would also be welcomed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Modeling and Assessment Specialist  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Modeling and Assessment Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

You can learn a lot here and the company is willing to invest in training classes to improve your skills. You also get the opportunity to work with some very smart people who are willing to teach what they know. This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome. There is a stress-free environment and the job is pretty secure while offering many incentives for your longevity. Team Leader's managing styles vary, so depending on your manager this can be an absolutely wonderful job.

Cons

Pay is nearly half of those in the private industry and the latter is a very slow climb. Because the job is secure you may end up working with those who do the bare minimum to get by. Don't expect any financial recognition for your hard work or any extra effort your put into your work.

Increase the presence of incentives, many employees don't put much effort into their work because it makes no difference in their pay or in the security of their job. The yearly performance reviews which are used to grade an employee for consideration on a raise is not a sufficient evaluation as you can only exceed, met or need improvement. Also from the time of your review and the time you receive a raise can sometimes take a year and you'll only get about a 3.5% increase in pay whether you met or exceeded expectations, which is not good enough if they want to keep their employees happy.

Good Starting Job

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator II in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is my first full time job out of college and it is a good place to start. My coworkers are extremely nice and helpful and have been guiding me along with my training. The company itself has good training opportunities as well as the ability to get time off. The state offers pretty random holidays that you can acrue and use at your convenience. The benefits are decent as well and there is a sense of good job security.

Cons

The pay is far too little. Some of the positions involve pretty technical work and you would receive much more money for the same job working in the private sector.

The company is amazing and does well for the state in regards to keeping the place clean for future generations. My advice is to compensate your workers a little better so that they will continue to keep Texas clean and safe for all upcoming youth.

Overall a good place to work. Decent career or nice place to obtain some experience.

Current Employee - Environmental Investigator
    Current Employee - Environmental Investigator

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have a family so by far the biggest reason to stay is the time off and ability and flexibility to make the work-life balance happen.
    Retirement and health insurance are nice.
    Pretty good training opportunities.

Cons

Management from top to bottom, with a few exceptions, is very lacking. VERY MUCH a good ole boy system. Either political favorites (favors) or those employees that have been there the longest get promoted and raises. Not much put into selecting the best qualified. Makes for a disturbing and strained boss-employee relationship.
    Salary is very stagnant, especaially after a few years when you reach the top of the career ladder.
    Many decisions are made to appease industry that is politically connected. Very unethical at times.

Forget trying to appease people and do the right thing. Conflict is our business. Lets just make it righteous conflict instead of trying to avoid doing our job as an agency.

Low stress, low pay, and limited growth.

Former Employee - Environmental Investigator III  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Environmental Investigator III in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gain experience and receive valuable training. Plenty of vacation time. Great benefits, especially for a single individual

Cons

Low pay. Limited room for growth. Advancement relies on tenure to an extent.

More practical and pragmatic management and policy, less bureaucracy and pandering.

Great first job

Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist I  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly work environment. There are a lot of learning opportunities and you are constantly learning about new regulatory rules on the job. Vacation is easily accommodated and available and the benefits are great . 40 hour work weeks

Cons

Low pay. Gets slow at times. People are always moving around to different positions or leaving.

My experience is neutral at this point in my career.

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

I am neutral on this particular pros.

Cons

I am neutral on this particular con.

Intern at Region 6

Former Employee - Intern  in  El Paso, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in El Paso, TX (US)

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Learned about the different groups (Air, Water, and Waste) and all the required permits for an entity to operate. Lots of travel to different sites and see things first hand. Really got to do work as a regular full time employee. Though I was an intern, I was able to conduct investigations and write reports. The employees were great and always willing to help.

Cons

Small office and slow at times. Really easy to fall behind and have work pile up if not up to day with things.

A little more involvement in the day to day agenda of the interns.

Worked for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality? Contribute to the Community!