Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Updated 24 February 2015
Updated 24 February 2015
3.2

Richard A. Hyde

Pros
  • This is a great job for those who have families as they give you plenty time off and the work-life balance is pretty awesome (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits, especially for a single individual (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, they waste money, training for your job can be substandard (in 8 reviews)

• Pay is low in respect to private sector, too much politics/bureacracy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

You could do worse than TCEQ.

Former Employee - Air Quality Program Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Air Quality Program Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PhD's, engineers, geologists, meteorologists, etc make for a professional atmosphere. Many have been there a long time. Upper management generally treat employees with respect. I have worked at other state agencies and TCEQ is one of the better ones. Work can be interesting.

Cons

TCEQ has a policy that when someone leaves a job (say a Planner IV), the posted job announcement automatically reverts to lowest level (Planner)I. Exceptions to this policy are not common. Once you get in (making 36,000-40,000) they try to get your salary up, and since it's a big agency there are other jobs to apply for that are only open to current employees. My supervisor was a screamer, nit picker, played favorites. Most supervisors weren't that bad (unlucky me). Beginning pay is shamefully low. If you travel for your job, you have to spend your own money and wait 2-4 weeks to get reimbursed. That is common in all state agencies, though.

Higher salaries!

Great place to start a career with coworkers that are almost always nice, not something I'm interesting in staying at.

Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits starting out are great, health insurance, paid annual and sick leave and comp time if you work the "skeleton crew" days. Most coworkers are respectful and friendly, and want you to develop both personally and professionally. Easily get pay raises just by sticking around year after year, especially if you are on the "career ladder" progression.

Cons

Specific coworkers are disrespectful and it makes for a very stressful work environment. The work that I'm in charge of also has to be seen by several different teams, so if one team takes a lot longer than others then things can take a while, and I get bored. Not the best situation for someone who has just graduated college and wants to work in a more fast paced environment.

When you know that several people are having an issue with one team member, do something about it. The "Oh, that's just how so-and-so is" mentality doesn't help a team work together or respect one another, and only leads to animosity.

Good place to work, very routine and most of the time stress free.

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

Stability, job security. Great paid holidays and vacation time

Cons

Upper management ignores your concerns, they need to be more in tune with their employees

Listen to your employees

Experience at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Loved working here as in Intern. Really got a great team to work with.

Cons

It being a government as we all know the pay level is low.

Its a job

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Pros

Family oriented, very casual, no micromanaging, you can be independent yet in a group setting

Cons

Too much driving in some programs, too much work for little money. Could use more administrative staff they are loaded with work. Favoritism in few occasions but that's just work environment...

I think for higher effectiveness, people should not be overloaded with work. Higher more people, higher more amin people, have a relationship with all the workers not just a certain few

A place to get experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can have opportunities to take classes. It's secure. Good work life/balance.

Cons

Low pay, they waste money, training for your job can be substandard. Advancement can be hard.

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist IV in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Environmental Permit Specialist IV in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at TCEQ is not a bad place to start. You will get to work with a diverse group of people who are passionate about their jobs. You will learn a great deal about your field and how it is regulated. Benefits include being able to use vacation time when you want and you get plenty of holidays.

Cons

State workers are not paid very much. Working at TCEQ is not for the staunch environmentalist. We merely interpret rules and permit facilities to ensure they are in compliance with requirements. Management is disconnected from the "people on the ground". In fact some people management are just down right rude and ineffective.

Pay us more and quit wasting $. Make decisions that make sense! Don't set us up to fail. Moral is a problem here.

Good Employees and Responsibility

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of independence, wasn't micro-managed
    My supervisor was excellent, had an abundance of knowledge
    Very educated professionals, almost everyone was an engineer

Cons

It is very difficult to actually learn everything in a concise way. You have to go out of your way to bug really busy people to try and figure out things. There needs to be way more training and education for interns/new employees

Try to stop micro-managing your team leaders, they are competent and care about their teams.

I have been working at Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

None .... From what I can tell, besides maybe the benefits these people get for working for the state of Texas.

Cons

Everything that I listed above. And I you try to call these people they act like you are interrupting their whole day. Heaven forbid you ask them to get something done.

Stop playing good ol boy so work can actually get done.