The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros:
  • "A higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Great discount off anything on-top of sales going on"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired"
    in 39 reviews
  • "They should have a better system so you don't have to get a last minute babysitter"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

seasonal sales associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

ProsGood job environment friendly co workers

ConsThere are just a few hours per week

If you like retail you will like this. Overall, I love my job.

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee discount is great. Managers are there to help you learn if you want to and see the potential in everyone.

ConsThe company expects a lot out of you but doesn't want to give you the hours to do it. Pay also sucks. Employees pretty much train new leads and managers that come in from other retail stores and don't get paid any extra. Not a good job if this is your main income.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more money for employees that go above and beyond there duties. You can also do some of the dirty work and not leave it to everyone else.

Customer Service Rep.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsI like the fast past environment. I liked the product line the company has,the clothes are bright and of good quality. The clothes and accessories are fun to match up for the customers.

ConsNot enough hours to fulfill my needs as a single parent. I spoke to management about increasing hours but was never able too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more honest and open about information.

Worst job ever!

Howell, MI (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsThe pros were that most of the job is task oriented so there was always something to do to make the time fly.

ConsI worked at an outlet store and went into an already really bad management situation. There wasn't a place to take a break so I had to practically sit on the floor in order to be able to sit and wasn't allowed to leave the building at all, not even for lunch because 1 person can't be left in the store alone for safety issues. Schedules were never out until 2 days prior to the next work week, can't schedule your life with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be people who truly know how to manage people, that's what your title is. Please understand that people have lives and cannot schedule their lives only 2 days out. Try not to hire people just because you know them outside of the work.

No Hours

Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsCute kids come in, and it's rare that you get customers hitting on you

ConsI was only paid minimum wage but expected to work like a dog. I only got 4 hours a week on average due to the management overhiring. There was absolutely no training given to me and I had to figure out every task for myself while only working with 1-2 others who were often "on break" or in the backroom doing who knows what. I was never allotted a break even on the occasional 6 hour shift. It was only a temporary position that was supposed to last 12 weeks whereas I was only given 4. I was also routinely yelled at for clocking in 2 minutes early yet expected to start working as soon as I arrived(10-15min early for a shift).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't bother hiring so many employees if you can't give them any hours. Also focus more on training and less on pushing rewards and store credit cards that don't actually give any discount.

DO not bother if you are a parent of special needs child or active duty military spouse

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsThis was a fast paced environment, so the day went by quick. It was an easy job and easy to get along with co-workers and customers.

ConsYou never get a break. Sundays the open crew starts at 11 and work sometimes until 8, even though the store closes at 6. You do NOT get a break even if you work the entire day. If you are a spouse of an active duty service member or parent of a special needs child that has regular doctor appointments, much less both like myself, you will be berated for having to adapt your schedule to theirs even though the manager knows the facts upon hiring you. If a manager happens to allow someone that is on call work when they are not called in, you pay for it. You lose hours whenever the management staff cannot regulate their payroll hours. Training is HORRIBLE!!! I was not properly trained. On my hiring date, I was thrown into the deep end with shipment and expected to perform perfectly. On my first official day on the job, the assistant manager failed to show me the proper way to dress a mannequin even when I asked how I was supposed to do it. I have been an employee for nearly 3 months and still do not know all the appropriate folds for the clothing because my managers do not know them all. And apparently it is ok to bring your young child to the store and allow them to run rapid while you work or to even talk crap about a customer in front of other customers while that customer is still in the store. All of the things described above are the description of the management staff at my store. When interviewed, I gave my manager the heads up on my availability. I am a wife of an active duty member of the Coast Guard as well as a parent of a special needs child. So as you can tell, my schedule is not exactly the best to work with. Upon discussing and receiving the approval from the general manager, I accepted the job under the understanding that my schedule could, and would be, flexible according to the needs of my husband's job and son's doctor and therapist appointments. It was brought to my attention a few days ago, that I am taking too much time off for "personal" reasons. I had the previous week off due to my parents being in town, and it was approved through management. Other than taking time off for my child's appointments and such, that was the only time I have taken off in the past 3 months. When questioned why I was only available during a certain time for a week and given the reason, being my husband's schedule, I was told that they were searching for my replacement and that such amount of time taken, was not tolerated for a "new" hire and should place my child in day care or find a babysitter that was available 24/7 to cater to my work needs. So despite informing the management about whatever your schedule is and if it is okay according to the understanding, you can still lose your job. I am currently attempting to wait it out to see if I will indeed be fired. In which case I do plan to file a wrongful termination suit against the company since the manager hired me knowing my schedule and my husband being active duty and son special needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair and do NOT hire someone just to attempt to fire them due to their schedule. It is low and cruel. Consider all the angels before judging them for it. Learn to give scheduled breaks according to state and federal laws.

Sales associate

Valley Stream, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

ProsFriend co workers, nice customers the policy was always upheld, management did its best to stop stealing

ConsShort hours, not enough hours, over working sales associates, overnight shifts to do visual displays

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so hard on sales associates

Disappointing!

Canton, OH (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsI needed a job really bad! I didn't even have an interview! Was better then nothing!

ConsI have never seen a back room so disorganizes! And if you know retail the back room can tell you a lot about the store! Poor management, the discount was laughable, The store and the rest room was dirty! Not cleaned properly! If they had the product on the floor sales would have been more! Managers need to get some baskets so when people go out from the back room they take a basket and stock! If the fire marshal saw the back room he would site them! It smelled like dead mice it was so dirty! The store manager did not rely on her team to help her and micro managed everything! Would not even let them set a wall. The Saturday before Christmas the entire front boys section was empty waiting for her to come back from her weekend off and set the wall! MANGERS would ring and the store manager would do almost all the merchandising! They basically will hire 20 people for just black Friday and Thanksgiving since the mall is now open for 40 hours straight! Some people worked just black Friday and never came back! The pay is minimum and not a penny More no matter what your experience!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave Sunday cleaning in the morning! Do away with 6 am shifts and put more people on the floor when it is open. Do not send soring merchandise in November! More payroll!

Co-Store Manager

Co-Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Fast paced business time flys
- There is always something to do
- Opportunity for growth within company
- Great group of Team members

Cons- Management has to LIVE in the stores. No, home life.
- No payroll to work with company allocates payroll with no sense of the business.
- Its hard to keep a good well trained staff when you can only offer associates 10hrs per week(w/countless oncall shifts) at some point.
- Separation between Corporate and the Field
- Corporate seems to hand out directives by the seat of their pants
- Corporate doesnt give field enough time to plan & set events. Store closes at 9pm, associates are scheduled for 10pm and Corporate would send directives(ie. window change, sale markdowns, mini floorset changes )via email between 8pm-9pm that night that needed to be set prior to open of business the next day. It is one thing if it happens once in a while but it takes place 1-2 times per week.
- Marketing is constantly changed confuses customers along with associates. Its as if corporate changes their minds daily.
- Wrong marketing sent to stores
-Constant in-store corporate visits which starts to seem pointless since they dont take store feedback or either chooses to ignore field suggestions.
- Customer return system is HIGHLY INEFFECTIVE. Its time consuming and the thieves have a field day exploiting its many flaws. UPGRADE THE SYSTEM. We are giving money away that can be used in store(hours for the store)

Advice to Senior Management- Corporate should follow their own advice and PLAN ahead. It seems like theyre playing catch up
- Come up with a plan to avoid constant last minute Marketing changes.
- Shipment allocation to stores needs to be more streamlined. Stores never receive adequate replenishment of key Products(best sellers) but we are inundated with items that collect dust.
- Upgrade medical benefits package.
- Allocate realistic time frames to processing of shipment.
- Upgrade computer system(returns/exchanges)

Lesson learned

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Co-workers, job was fun, busy, pay was decent

ConsWas brought on to become a store manager, hired my replacement and then since she had a degree they gave her the store manager position. DM's turn over faster than part time sales associates. No stability or consistency from one to the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't believe everything people tell you, unfortunately they lie to get what they want.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All 391 reviews are posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.