The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros:
  • "A higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Great discount if you have kids, cute and affordable products, mostly friendly staff"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired"
    in 37 reviews
  • "They should have a better system so you don't have to get a last minute babysitter"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a great company that took care of you, if you wanted to move up the management ladder.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
North Riverside, IL (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsManagement was always willing to listen to you.

ConsRetail hour, high theft problems

Rewarding.

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Brookfield, WI (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

ProsI love working with customers. I also have a young daughter and it was a good opportunity to learn how children's clothes sizes run.

ConsI wasn't getting enough hours, and too many people were being scheduled to work.

A children's store that doesn't really care about it's employees families

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

ProsDiscount on children's clothing. I can't think of too many more positives...I met some great people that worked for me.

ConsConstantly being expected to perform without compensation equivalent to experience or position. Expected to bend over backwards for a company that doesn't do the same for you. Should be give and take, but is just take, take, take. Smaller mall store mentality so little room for advancement as the store managers are generally not wanting to go anywhere....and will put you down if they feel you are doing your job too well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to improve stores morale and increase sales. Sometimes a store that is striving to meet mediocrity needs a change. Care for your people...as they are people and have lives outside of work.

Disloyal Company

In IT (Former Employee)
Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt is a Nice and clean facilities

ConsNo Loyalty to honest and hard working employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be loyal to loyal and hard working employees. It is an unfair practice to give new upper management card blanche to restaff their department with their own people upon arrival without regards for the honest, hard working employees that have supported the company for many years before them. Then to fire them on the spot and escorting them out of the building like criminals.

Underpaid and under appreciated. I wish I could give it negative stars.

Stock Room Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked there when my kids were little to get the discount.

ConsThis company is all about the almighty dollar, theirs, not yours. I worked at The Children's Place as a stockroom supervisor for 5 years. In that time the raises that I received totaled 63 cents per hour. I pretty much processed every single piece of merchandise that came into the store by myself. I worked overnight shifts to get floorsets finished with just myself and one other person. I stood on ladders that were not tall enough or safe enough to be on after working all night to get their ridiculous signs hung in the window and nearly fell off from exhaustion countless times. (By the way, I watched as they fought with someone who got injured on the job and practically refused to let it be covered by worker's comp). And after several years of putting up with their crap I was let go (mind you, I had been at the store longer than everyone else who worked there combined) because I refused to open my availability to be able to work both Saturday and Sunday from open to close. This is absolutely the worst company that I have ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your employees who work tirelessly, sometimes without any breaks at all to meet your ridiculous deadlines. You cannot do a full floorset with all new merchandise, markdowns, window changes and mannequin changes and help customers to meet your sales goals on 120 hours for the week. Why do you think your turnover is so high? I have never met anyone who was happy to be working for the Children's Place.

Not enough hours in a day or money in the week

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

ProsNew merchandise always coming through store. Lots of employee interaction.

ConsConstant (weekly) visual changes and markdowns and simply not enough hours to complete the work. No overtime allowed for hourly employees and with only1 salaried employee (general manager), hard to get necessary changes done in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess part-time employee hours. Less visual changes so employees can focus on driving sales.

lots of work, very little reward

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

ProsCompany cares alot about their brand and trains their employees to have pride in the brand

ConsLots and Lots of work for very little pay and acknowledgement. Corporate constatly changing their minds visually and never consistent. Lack of appreciation from upper management and everyone is willing to step on their coworkers to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet proper store managers that actually work and not sit in the back office for 7 of 8 hours.

Company does not care for its employees

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

ProsThe associates I worked with were amazing and discount was pretty good. Gained a lot of management experience.

ConsThey give store little to no payroll with a huge workload, leaving managers to do everything. Especially in a high volume store, there should not only be one manager and one associate on a Saturday. They give you so little, that the store is left a mess. When you ask for support, they tell you deal with it. Moving up with the company is also a joke unless your willing to wait 5-7 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees the support they need.

Great co-workers, horrible management

Executive (Current Employee)
Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent benefits, summer Fridays, nice offices

ConsElitist management, no bonuses, tiny raises, terrible morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being greedy and share the wealth! Work on boosting morale or you will continue to lose really good people.

Too much tasking! Not enough coverage for sales floor. Never enough payroll to cover sales and tasks.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

ProsCan't think of any.

ConsOverworked, under staffed. Management just "churns and burns" employees.
No core values. Bottom line is all important. District Managers think employee is negative if issues are aired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to remember that you are dealing with people, not machines. Treat them as you would want to be treated, instead of jockeying for position on the corporate ladder.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All 390 reviews are posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.