The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Fargo, ND (US)

Pros-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsVery good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

ConsThere weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Neutral

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Niles, OH (US)

ProsStore discount was great .

ConsMake sure you can handle a lot stress

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsOpportunity for advancement and good employee discount. Flexible schedule, great for mothers and college students. Management cared for employees and were always listening to concerns.

ConsDemanding and constant changing of marketing, displays, and floorset with tough deadline expectations. Daily sales goals and somewhat pushy on customers having to apply for store credit card.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally good company to work for specially if you are a student. The hours are great and it is a fairly easy job.

ConsBecause it's a kids store be prepared to be cleaning every 5 minutes and stuffing credit cards down the parents throat.

Corporate America

ProsThe people are friendly. The location being in NJ nice to be away from the busy city. Good benefits. Started the star awards to recognize people who deserves it.

ConsCommuting to NJ, in rush hour is not easy. Health benefits has decreased over the years. Difficult to move up within the company ladder so not much room for growth.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

my review

Prosgreat people, great benefits and great opportunity

Consthere are none to speak of

There some Pros and Cons

Product Designer (Current Employee) Secaucus, NJ (US)

Pros- great benefits, including 30% employee's discount, free fruits, limo service, 401(K), medical, vision, and dental, overseas traveling expenses' reimbursement, etc.
    - great opportunity for recent college grads to gain necessary industry experience, including overseas work and travel

Cons- long hours
    - unpaid overtime and weekends
    - favoritism
    - poor evaluation system

Advice to Senior Managementneed to improve evaluation system
    manage better work-life balance

Overall good - Just ridiculously high expectations.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Pros-Encouragement to move up
    -Ability to speak to your upper management (DM, RD, LPM) whenever needed; Open Door Policy even though they are not in the office

Cons-Recent budget cuts decrease the benefits for holiday pay
    -Overly high expectations with extremely limited hours. There is not enough time/payroll to help the customers and complete the floorsets, etc.

Fast-Paced, Demanding Work with little to no recognition or acknowledgment from upper management - wage poor.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people, it is their passion and commitment that uphold the Co.

ConsNo room for advancement, Co. is reactive not proactive in all areas, no recognition unless its taken upon yourself, compensation poor if not forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sieving money into unnecessary investments like the ridiculous weekly marketing changes that no one recognizes or appreciates - THAT JUST END UP IN THE TRASH! TRY RECYCLING SOMETHING! If you can manage to same a few dollars try to reinvest them in the associates, they have more than earned a raise or a pay increase something more than minimum wage - Burger King pays better than us!

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!