The Children's Place

Updated 26 January 2015
2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

No benefits for being an employee, constant floor set changes

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get access to shipment as it comes in, therefore the sizes you need are usually available. And who wouldn't like to look at baby clothes all day?!

Cons

The employee discount is often as good as coupons that come out. If we have a PLACE card, employees do not receive the additional 5% for using it (WHY!?!). Employees are also flagged for using gift cards even though I ask for them for Christmas/birthdays for my own kids since it's primarily where I shop; that seems unfair. Higher ups are unaware of the time it takes a store to suddenly redo/"update" a floor set within the same week it is set. Silly things from changing walls to taking everything you just folded on a table and hanging it back on hangers, or vice versa. Stores aren't allotted enough hours to compensate for shipment and floor upkeep as well as solid customer service.

If you want your stores to meet their daily goals, why don't you STOP HAVING BETTER ONLINE SALES?! How/why do you expect customers to come in with their little 30% coupon when you do 50% off the website with free shipping? Where is the perk there when it's more convenient to shop from home with little kids anyway?

Needs lots of improvements

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great employee discount - 30%

Cons

Lack of management direction
    No training
    Stores are understaffed and that creates extra work
    Poor organization/communication
    The on-call system is very inconvenient. The days you're supposed to be off, they put you on call and because of the lack of staff, they end up calling you in or ask you to come in earlier or stay late. So, the work-life balance is out the window. The company pretty much owns you 7 days a week.

Previous Employee

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

great people, fun work environment

Cons

don't promote within, poor upper management

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and the product is priced great

Cons

Under staffed no payroll to many changes that are expected to be done in an unreasonable time frame. Upper management doesnt care about in store employees

Spend time and listen to your employees.

Worse Places to Work

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Started off as a great place to work and then it slowly went down hill. There was not enough payroll given to complete the amount of work they wanted us to do. We had to do floorsets during regular selling hours and even during busy times. The pay for management roles is very noncompetitive compared to other retail businesses.

Cons

Everything about this place from an employee perspective is terrible.

Support your staff more on the floor.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at The Children's Place has been a great experience. Over the last 4 years that I've worked here, I have learned so much about running a business and developing great leaders.

I have had many personal growth opportunities as well. Most recently I have been working at HQ, covering a role while someone was on an LOA. This opportunity allowed me to learn a totally new and different side to our business. Having worked in the field for over 15 years, what I've learned at HQ will help me do my job better.

District and regional managers are very open to new ideas. They also realize and respect that just because something works in one store, it doesn't work in them all.

Cons

There are many changing priorities, most of which come down with very little notice. Leaders that are not flexible and willing to change plans to meet the new priorities will not do well here.

Many of the changes that are made are due to a reaction to the business. If field leaders had a better understanding of the why behind the change, then it would be easier to get buy in from more people.

Very good experience

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Very family friendly enviroment. I was hired as management. I loved the job, my coworkers and clientele.

Cons

The only con is having to work retail hours which can't be avoided. Also the holiday season will run you ragged but that is to be expected.

Easy and Fun

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

To start off MY managers are great. They're very helpful and care about other employees concerns. They really want you to do well so they take their time to train you. The associate discount is always a plus.

Cons

Definitely the customers, they're a challenge. Some are rude, some are nice, some just think they're superior than you. I'm nice and friendly to everyone who walks in our store, but there's no pleasing everyone. But what can you do then? Not much but continue to be nice.

Meh

Current Employee - Store Lead
    Current Employee - Store Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Discount : Great if you have a child to buy for in your life, though many times it is no better than a customer having a coupon, which are easily obtainable.

- Environment: Can be a pleasant place to work, customers usually are nice and have children with them, whose antics can make for an entertaining day.

- Team: If you are lucky enough to get into a store with a good team, it can be enjoyable. Everyone knows they have a role in building the store and the camaraderie can be nice.

Cons

- Expectations: Corporate expectations are ridiculous compared to the number of hours they are willing to give. Constant floor changes and price changes, and they are communicated last minute.

- Hours: Store leads are only guaranteed twenty hours, associates are guaranteed none. If you have an open schedule and prove yourself, you can get called in for extra hours, but its not enough to live on.

- Management: The management outside of the store itself is very disconnected from reality. They often don't have a good idea of what is going on or seem to be very knowledgeable at all.

- Advancement: There appears to be little, if any room for advancement. As others have stated, associates and/or leads can be responsible for teaching poorly skilled hires placed in positions above them, which is frustrating.

- Give hours to train: With no hours to train new employees, its always a learn as you go situation. This places a serious burden on everyone.

- Hire from within: Focus on building talent within the stores before bringing in new, unproven individuals.

- Help your employees, don't hinder them: Corporate hinders its employees in so many ways. Between their confusing marketing tactics that leads to frustrated customers abusing employees to last minute notification on huge changes that must be carried out, corporate seems more focused on placing hurdles in the way rather than removing them.

Extremely Chaotic Company

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Decent pay; PTO is good, if you are actually able to use it.

Cons

The list would be long...see the other reviews. They are pretty spot on.

I understand that the company is units-driven, but they should consider scaling back the number of collections they offer. There is a point where the consumer gets overwhelmed with choices and decides to not shop anything. Furthermore, the collections need updated looks. I've had customers complain that their child has had the same shirt for the past three years because there is no variety from year-to-year and stores continue to receive the same product. Also, can we talk about gross margin? How can I control it if we are not allowed access to the reports? On the reverse, how much can we control if corporate is sending out 30% off coupons when we are having a $2.99 sale? There needs to be more of a thoughtful, beneficial approach to being a company who offers affordable children's clothing while not having to almost give away collections once the season is over. I am on the same page as most of these other reviews, that this company is extremely disorganized, uncaring towards employees, and expects a staggering amount of work to get accomplished with little to no resources. Recently, our district had a conference call talking about coming up with ideas and incentives for store teams to help push through our last fiscal month and end the year strong. Almost every leader said they were doing a pizza party, bowling, going out to dinner, and other activities to boost morale and let their teams know they are appreciated. However, when the DM asked how they would be funding this, every leader said it would be coming out of their own pocket. I hope that puts in perspective the type of company this is. They want results. They want talent. They want high work load. They want commitment. But, they are not willing to give anything. Payroll, hiring wages, training, and so on... A company's culture starts from the top and the culture at TCP is one of overbearing stress due to the disorganization within the company structure. No matter what you and your team does or the amount of hours you spend past your normal 40, you just won't win here. It will never be good enough. Overall, I just think there is not enough of a clear direction for the company. If they reassessed their mission statement, found a buying and pricing strategy that could correlate, and implemented that, then I don't think corporate would be running around like chickens with their heads cut off, so to speak, constantly revising their sales or sending out new directives.(which in turn trickles down and causes these dissatisfied employees) TCP might actually be able to address their poor company morale and lower their turnover rate, if they first fix the issues in what direction the company is headed and what their future looks like.

The Children's Place Photos