The Children's Place

Updated 17 September 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

over worked and understaffed with horrible management.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier  in  Houma, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Houma, LA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was good, always busy, helping the customers choose items and seeing children was a blessing. doing promos, and price changes were frequent but not a problem.

Cons

the drive was terrible, manager was horrendous. Yelled at children, and kept pay from workers and wouldn't get paid for certain hours. felt like I was working by my self since co-workers were always on the phone. would talk down to employees. SHOULD NOT BE IN MANAGEMENT.

Find someone who actually cares about children and their staff.

Will Work You To Death

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

I cant think of one.

Cons

They will take advantage of you.

Get a clue all your price changes aren,t going to help you once you figure out that it is how you treat your employees that will help you, you might stand a chance. Save the money you spent on cookies and give more payroll.

Overly stressful for management team and also sales staff

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I've grown close to so many of my employees that I hate to see them go

Cons

We are constantly under such a huge amount of workload that we can't even service our customers or train new hires. We get no pay roll and as soon as a floorset comes out we get updates to change it and price changes. We are constantly told that we must greet, offer mesh bags, give promos and make sure your also getting Place Cards as well. You have the best members on your team so busy tasking that they can't stop or they will fall so far behind it's ridiculous. Constantly want picture updates so there's the added pressure that it has to be done and with perfection but traffic and sales aren't taken into consideration. We could make so much more money for the store if we had time to work with our customers instead we always work on only 2 coverage so your best person is working on shipment marketing or floorset while your least experienced is on the registrar...not very smart. Also management has to come up with fun neat things to send in on top of workload that show we are teaching our teams (that's great but stop throwing so much at as where it can be done with thought behind it) we are also required to have certain paperwork done everyday and monthly that management is so stressed half the time and hurting physically from the workload as well we can't be at the top of our game

Stop with all the updates...I understand the why of it...something isn't selling like you thought so let's move it and put it here and price it different. Or there has to be a way to cut back on either workload or give us more payroll so that we and be more affective. A better trained employee is more of an asset a over worked tired employee is not. You've got your top players out of the game if you care about sales then let us do what we are best at and give the customer what they need because in the end it's about them and maybe that shirt you just moved would be selling better if someone with the skill set had been able to have the time to add-on and show them all the great stuff we've gotten in

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current Store Sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Akron, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PTO Time, Employee Discount and TCP gives back to the communities in many ways also will buy you lunch on Black Friday

Cons

I have been a Store Manager for this company for the last three years and when I first visited this site I could not believe how many current and former employees felt the same way as I did and still currently do, I seen feedback on here from a Regional all the way to an Associate. It is so disheartening yet unfortunately VERY TRUE ... My staff and I too work our butts off every day ... Price Changes, Markdowns, Floorset, Floorset Pics, Window change, Visual Update, New Visual Update, Window Change, Markdowns, Pricing Corrections .... Oh by the way that's on 2/2 coverage while your also working the floor to the expectation of greeting, promo, mesh bag, open ended questions, follow-up and then at the wrap DO NOT FORGET to sign them up for My PLC rewards, Our Credit Card, explain it all to them and tell them about the new coupon, double points and survey on the receipt ... DO NOT even think about excusing yourself to use the restroom, to take a break or even to receive shipment because the customers do not take to kindly to it and it's truly not their fault ... I've seen several other comments on here mentioning no breaks, it's just truly sad how we can work for a company that has such great stock and yet they always cry poor ... No payroll, no training hours I have several pregnant people who never take breaks, I guess they couldn't leave the store if they wanted too never enough people in the building, but my question is "What is wrong with this Company?" This time last year I believe we had between 12/14 District Managers leave the company and 1 Regional ... I'm not sure if I've seen another company on here with so many horrible comments .... My advice to anyone that was looking for a job would be to run very far away from TCP until all the upper management changes ... There's not one day out of a month that my Regional or My DM could come in and run my storeWhat can u work next week to the standard they believe it should be ran ...And the discount is no longer any good the customers usually get the same almost everyday as well ...

I have listened to a lot of upper management speak lately and I feel as if the only one who may get it is the man at the very top, and he's just to far up to reign all his power hungry people in .... Shame on EVERYONE of you, that come into a store on a daily, weekly, district, regional visit and degrade people who work so hard doing the things you could never do, and all to make you look good!

Doesn't train management

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Victoria, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Victoria, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

There's the discount. You basically work on your own.

Cons

Company changes prices weekly sometimes more than that and they don't give you the hours to have more than one and one coverage and floorset is practically every week

Train your store managers they don't know how to do their job. The company culture is horrible. Give your stores hours to complete their tasks and stop complaining when we can't finish when we're overtasked.

Not a good place to work-I wouldn't ever recommend this company

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great PTO policy 22 days
    Good discount
    Clothes are really cute

Cons

Unrealistic work load for the amount of hours given
    Low pay
    Internal promotes receive salary offers way below external candidates
    Store managers over worked. 60-80 hour work weeks
    Upper management leads by fear
    Inappropriate management practices get overlooked if upper management likes or favors manager
    Law suits run rampid

Lighten workload
    Promote with fair salarys to internals
    Stop favoritism
    Regional managers should not be able to swear and get angry in front of store teams
    Address DM and RD poor behaviors
    The CEO is one of the worst CEO in the industry

Beware of The Children's Place

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Douglasville, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Douglasville, GA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount if you have kids but they hand out coupons to customers like candy so it's not really anything special.

Cons

You will want to cry after every shift. No matter what you do for this company, it is never enough. They are constantly changing everything you do and make you shove their credit card down the parents throat. Also, no hours or pay. You're supposed to get a break every four hours but nobody lets you take that break. Just stay away!!

Try to realize that some of your employees have good ideas and you could benefit from actually listening to them and treating them better.

Over worked, un-realistic expectations

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, solid benefits, good product.

Cons

Overly operationally heave, reports to help you read other reports. Unrealistic expectations of store visuals with hours and merch flow given. Rude and condescending upper management.

Tough job if you're working at an outlet

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate  in  Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers become like family and you meet some nice people. If you're productive you will receive a decent amount of hours if you work at a larger location like I did (Vaughan Mills).

Cons

After working there for two years I still get paid minimum wage, which is kind of unfair considering with all the experience I have I get paid the same as new employees who don't know anything. Vaughan mills is a horrible location to work at. Rude customers, mostly parents who want everything their way and do not want to follow the store's policy. Not a place to work if you dont like loud atmospheres with kids running around and getting themselves into trouble. Nothing to really be promoted to unless if you want to become a manager. Its a tough job which has caused me severe shoulder pain because of fast repetitive motions. A lot of silly rules that apply to associates but not managers....

Hire more staff so that current associates do not have to bust their butts as if they are working in a factory. Seniority should be factored into wages. Have rotating shifts so that everyone can work as a cashier and sales associate. Associates should rotate between the two jobs as being a cashier is much more difficult and mind numbing, where as sales associates are more focused on cleaning. If associates could rotate between cash and the floor they would be happier and wouldn't have severe shoulder and back pains like myself and many more people that I know of.

My experience was a positive one most of the 7 years in corporate but calendar deliverables unattainable

Former Employee - Design Vice President  in  Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Design Vice President in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

excellent benefits, promote from within, CEO is aware of your contributions for such a big company, summer hours are great.

Cons

very tough culture, people are not team players, managers difficult to meet with, little recongnition, very littl etraining, easy to move up within company but never given the resouces so many are set up to fail.

Upper management is mostly woman and are in the top ranks of the company bc they are all friends. There is a lot of favoritism happnening and it's a girls Besties club.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!