The Children's Place

Updated 15 December 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cute Clothing for kids!

Cons

Hired me but never gave me more then 10hrs a week

Stop going to the Hamptons and be a manager!!!!

Don't work here. You don't need the stress.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fellow Associates are nice to work with. Though of course that depends on the store. Are sometimes flexalbe with your availability times. If you have kids the discount is decent. That is unless they're giving customers a better coupon. Might as well use that instead.

Cons

- Are constantly being told to change floor set week after week. Constant mark downs and changes in prices. To add to that you are hardly given hours to get things done on top of helping customers.
    - no additional pay for unpacking shipment, being a garbage man etc,
    - You'd be lucky if you get more than 10 to 12 hours a week. They try their best to give you as little hours as they can and force you to do an insane amount of work in that small amount of time
    - district manager is a joke.
    - There is no room for advancement.
    - They'd rather hire clueless new people from outside the business than move up a current employee.
    - There also isn't even a chance to get a raise. Working there for well over a year and still getting paid minimum wage.
    - The managers only look out for themselves when making the schedule. Giving each other every other weekend off and penciling in week long vacations. Meanwhile if you'd want to request a day off even for something important let alone vacation it's an issue.
    - As an employee here your personal life is not taken in to consideration. All managers care about is you showing up for your shift.
    - Call in shifts are a joke and you have to circle your life around the job, call them to ask if they need you to work and if they don't your entire day is wasted.
    - you're hardly even training. You're hired told to go fold shirts and maybe when a fellow associate has time they'll show you how to use the register. But getting actual proper training from management doesn't happen.
    - Managers are rude and give employee's attitudes for no reason.
    - constant nagging to get place credit cards. Always being pestered to meet goals and even if you do it's still not enough. the horrid cards are what seem to care about the most
    - the sales floor looks like an over stocked mess with all the merchandise packed on the floor, isn't even shoppable
    - Customers are rude, cheap, and have no idea how to control their children.

Don't work here point blank. You will leave here miserable.

Try to care about your employees. Maybe more would stick around.

Unorganized

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sometimes we have potlucks ran/organized by sale associates for the half hour break.
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

Aggressive tactics you must ALWAYS get the costumers email and phone # . To make sure this happening they give you email capture sheet where you fill out the transaction # and whether or not you got the email. If you are below 80% you are blamed for it by your manager,because your manager was most likely blamed for it by DM.

Its terrible when you ask for all this personal info and you get angry costumers

The clothing itself is not good quality, even with the email discounts.

Upper Management , not making a allowance for more people to work when need it.

Rude customers

Too many expectations from managers.

Being on cash all day messes with your head.

Noisy kids who ( If you can handle it)

Not know where everything is, because set changes/signage change regularly.

You don't get commission, and your paid very little.

My SM isn't really qualified, is not good at organizing people or people in general.

Bring a proper training program for new hires, be a little flexible. Do not play the blame game on your store managers, or sale associates. Keep track on those you hire in managers positions, and encourage/nurture them so they can be more productive.

Not the greatest job

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Semi flexible hours, Good Discount, coworkers are nice enough probably because they are going through it too.

Cons

Long shifts, and be prepared to stay 1 to 2 sometimes more after closing. Crazy and annoying.

Quit lying. If you are going to disobey your own schedule and keep us for obnoxious amounts of time, then say so. Don't hide it.

This company is terrible!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you get a good group of people to work for, it makes the job bearable. I had an absolutely wonderful manager and I loved her and the associates that I worked with were awesome. PTO was good.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. I was an ASM and my DM was seriously a succubus. LP didn't care about us and our complaints at all. We had customers who would steal things from other stores and come to our store and return the items for merchandise credits and we had such an awful return policy that we couldn't deny them even though we knew for a fact they had stolen the merchandise. We would complain and report the issue to LP and they never cared at all. The hours were terrible, the amount of work was seriously unrealistic and so were the sales expectations. The pay was also terrible. I was an ASM and my raise from Sales Lead to ASM was absolutely ridiculous. We were the lowest paid ASM's around. The credit card expectations are ridiculous as well. This job was emotionally draining and physically draining. The customers were horrendous and just completely drained me. I do not recommend working here at all.

Listen to your employees and don't set unrealistic goals.

Salve job

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Great coworkers grieta discount

Cons

No Hours bad Pay management aré rude

Work load unrealistic

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- loved dealing with customers, especially return ones
    - loved my staff members
    - decent discount

Cons

- ridiculous workload with unrealistic timelines
    - no appreciation from upper management on going above and beyond on tasks
    - upper management is too easy to place blame on stores under their direction instead of helping them in order to cover their own butt
    - zero payroll allowance to accomplish what is needed or for floor coverage

INVEST in your stores and employees so that you can have some longevity in your staff.
    APPRECIATE what your managers do
    LISTEN and ACT on the suggestion and concerns coming from your employees

It made me hate retail.

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Thornhill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Thornhill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with friends, so it was a fun time. Other than that... no pros.

Cons

Bad management, low wage, and no structure.

Get organized and setup a structure.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It allows you to progress. I was hired as a sales associate march of 2014, became a sales lead july of 2014, and now october 2014 I became an assistant store manager and im only 18. This company has allowed me to really show my skills and how I am able to contribute to the business im very lucky and fortunate to be in the position that I am.

Cons

Many sales associates leave early dont like the job nor hours they recieve but than again its only a part time job for sales associates.

Assistant manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Good staff, friendly customers, good discount if you have children, it comes in handy!

Cons

Not enough coverage, low pay.

Give more dollars in payroll, if you want a floor set, markdowns, window change and customer service to be completed , then realize that 2 on 2 coverage will not cut it! Also pay your managers more, they work their tails off.

The Children's Place Photos