The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

The worst company to ever work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-Deep discounts on merchandise
    -Actual job is easy

Cons-Poor upper management
    -Lack of recognition
    -No opportunity for personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThe quality of the work enviornment depends directly upon the management, which goes constantly unchecked. They hire store managers from outside of the company, who are untrained and ill-equipped to do their job, and then rely on assistant managers to fill in the gap. Meanwhile, assistant managers who have been with the company for years, and virtually run their stores, get constantly passed over for promotions and recieve no recognition. District managers are increasingly self-serving, withholding information from associates, and offering false information and hope on future promotions. They hire friends in important positions, that don't do their job, and usually don't last more than six months. In one year, my store went through over FOUR store managers. Their is no work-life balance with store managers demanding coverage for on-calls with less than ten minute notice, unbalanced scheduling, and setting unrealistic demands for the team. The management is EXTREMELY unproffessional, with the constant gossip of other associates and managers. Assistant managers do more than Store managers, for a fraction of the pay and recognition. Associates recieve no recognition for their hard work and are forced to sacrifice more than upper management.

Exhausting...

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPTO is bountiful, higher pay scale than most for management, great connections with awesome customers (both internal and external), great product!

ConsHigh expectations with small time frames (and little payroll of course), constant changes to floor sets and sale changes that make absolutely no sense, no sense of accomplishment due to never being "done", discount was great until the customer coupons started matching employee discount, selling a Citibank backed in-store credit card that offers very little incentive for the customer (5%...really?)

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out people! The company direction is going the wrong way...you need to build a structured communication system and stick with it. Nobody knows the "why" of what we are doing and that feels unstable and chaotic.

Store Sales Manager

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team within my own location as well as a couple of my fellow SSM's.

ConsOutrageous expectations and absolutely no support to get the heavy workload completed. Unqualified upper management. Micro managing experienced, successful SSM's to the point of complete frustration. Pay is way below industry standard. No positive recognition...but there is plenty of time for negative recognition. You make company issued plans, work your tail off to beat them, only to have them set them higher and higher so there is no possible way for you to make bonus or have a successful review at the end of the year. You're told to get your store perfect for VP visit...do what it takes...only to be told AFTER the visit "No one should work 12 hour days for a visit prep, your stores should be that perfect all the time" no "thank you for the hard work"...nothing. Completely unmotivational.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're setting up your store management up for failure. Managers take their jobs seriously, work hard, give you good results and the only thanks is..."Now we want even more from you. Here are your new, out of reach goals" You will continue to lose great management, at a rapid rate, until you get this under control. Hire qualified leaders (District Managers) that actually know how to lead a team. Not "favorite" SSM's with no people skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsOffers health insurance, two weeks of paid time off, 30% off everything including clearance, flexible schedules including up to two weekends off a month, and holiday pay.

ConsCompany cut their budget on payroll so we are working with only two people in the store at all times which means we don't get bathroom breaks or breaks at all; This also makes it easier for theft. Old registers and old technology which makes the selling and return process very slow. No process on training which leads to under performing management and staff. To many price points in the store which leads to confusion and frustration from the customers. Lots of time and money wasted on changing prices every Monday night, sometimes the price changes one cent. Money wasted on marketing for the window and signage on the sales floor, used for one week then tossed in the trash. Customer service is horrible due to the only two employees working are on the registers and nobody is on the sales floor. Keep in mind, the store is running with only two people in the store at one time so no extra hours are given for tasks including training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate makes decisions that are not in the company's best interest, before making changes YOU should work in a store for thirty days before implementing the changes. Company should focus on customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction before before making poor decisions based on profit margins.

Assistant manager

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Bronx, NY (US)

ProsGreat enviorment
    Move Up.quickly
    Flexible Schedule
    Employees Great
    Fun And uo beat

ConsUnder paid $12 assistant manager crappy
    Floor Set every wk or 2
    No Life always needed on days off n to stay late or work open to close
    Never Any pay roll
    Store Manager is hopeless
    Lack Of managment communication

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what u can do on ur time

Not worth it

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

Proswill work with school schedule or other prioroties, if you request a day off you will get it

Consfor 30 min breaks you cant leave the store, you will only get hours if you over sell credit card

Love the people but...

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with great people

ConsOverloaded with price changes/visual moves
    No hours to get things done
    No hours to give to employees
    Corporate has unrealistic expectation within given time constraints.
    Employees get in trouble for not meeting credit app goals.
    Minimum wage pay with no benefits or bonuses
    Says customer always comes first but get upset when tasks are unfinished.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive stores more payroll during heavy pricing events or floor set changes. Once a store falls behind, it is extremely difficult to catch up with day to day tasks.

At the time the company switched from a customer service focus to a more operational one.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was close to home, pay was decent.

ConsPayroll was extremely low, frequently just me and one other in the store, which made it difficult to perform managerial duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure what it is like there at this time, but employee morale and turnover was bad when i worked there, and as a manager it was difficult to make up for low pay, long hours and high expectations!

I have never seen a more disorganized company in my 26 year career!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Green, OR (US)

ProsLots of paid time off! My staff is full of great people and we are a strong team. There is a new challenge everyday that keeps the job from being boring.

ConsIn the average store you are given enough payroll to have 2 staff members in the store all day. With those 2 people you are asked to service every customer with a greet, talk about daily promos, hand out mesh shopping bags, tell them about rewards, tell them about the in house credit card and smile while the customer treats you like a dog and your store like a garbage pile. While you service every customer you need to be finishing freight(that we get everyday), setting new sale events (that change daily), set a new window(weekly), do markdowns(sent on Monday night around closing time due by Tuesday morning at open), scan every item to insure proper marketing is in place, set a floorset by Thursday only to update it by Friday because the visual department at corporate is full of incompetent people. And while we juggle all of that the rude customers can't understand why we are pissed when they let their children grab entire stacks of folded product and throw it in the air like confetti. Or why we can't take the time to price check every item they want us to one by one for thirty minutes straight. And God help us if we have a customer complaint about us locking our doors at closing time and not unlocking it for that customer that wants to come in at 10 minutes after closing time. Our superiors NEVER back us up even when we simply try to enforce the always changing policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it figured out before you send it to the stores. My Grandfather always said work smarter not harder. Unfortunately we need corporate to be smarter because we want to only do the work right the first time so we can move on to providing customer service. And if you can't figure it out let your store managers do what we know how to do! We are your greatest asset.... treat us ad such!

Unrealistic workload

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Rochester, NY (US)

ProsIf you have kids the discount is wonderful and the clothes are a good quality.

ConsLow wages, unrealistic workload to staffing ratio, not very good about promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at work load to staffing management. It is understandable that you can't pay people if you aren't reaching sales goals. But at the same time, if you were proactive with adding more staff/hours at heavy shipment times it would increase sales because product would get to the floor faster increasing sales. It is near impossible to service customers at company standards and get other responsibilities accomplished without enough staff.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!