The Children's Place

Updated 30 October 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 54 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent heath benefits and a Paid Time Off

Cons

The technology is outdated
    Product that is coming into stores is not seasonably appropriate (Example: 3-in-Jackets rolling into to Southern stores in early August)
    Visual communications from company are flawed at best
    Little payroll is going into the stores. Based on the ability of the corporate office to get things done for stores, I'm guess they are in the same boat.

Right now it feels like the company is saving for something special, like maybe a pony. The problem I have is, I don't know what the company is saving for. All I know from working in the store is I'm not getting technology that is equivalent to our competitors, repairs to my store in a timely manner (I have some major repairs that need to done but no one seems to care or have the power to do anything), the ability to call in an extra person when we are having a fantastic sales day, or wear now product. The company needs to tell us in the stores what we are saving money for. After walking into one of our competitors store yesterday and selling their product and sales support I'm sorry to say that I don't think we stand a chance.

They have a great Brand but

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers and their children are the best. The clothes are great quality

Cons

This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming. You set the plan and they change it and then once you correct it they change it again. You have no payroll and you work 2 openers and 2 closers plus you must meet sales goals. Who has time to make all these crazy changes and they wonder why your customers services scores are low! They want all these tasks done but give you no support, oh we did get cookies one time and a note LMBO! Pretty lame!

Run as fast as you can this company talks about a Life Balance and give you great benefits but getting to use them is tough! Always to much to do and you can only use 5 days at a time! With permission!

Good place to get some work experience

Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team that surrounds you instantly becomes like a family. Depending on your store they usually work around your school schedule

Cons

Too much work for the pay that is offered. The company policies often lead to confrontations with the customers. Inconsistent hours, horrible pay.

Nothing

unrealistic work life balance

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

$ - money its good but you cant really enjoy

Cons

12-14 hr days, feel shamed for taking lunch or days off

manage normal working hours & dont depend on people staying all night to get work done

No work life

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

money is ok, and customers aren't to bad

Cons

You have to do everything

none

Not a good job to have while in school.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a basic retail job. Holidays and peak seasons are busy which makes hours better.

Cons

The managers did not work well with my schedule. I informed them that I was a senior in high school and could only work weekends, and early evenings during the week, but that didn't stop them from having me scheduled late getting out of work after midnight.

Don't hire people if you don't want to work with their availability.

Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Great Place to work, good pay, flexible schedule with school, good discount

Cons

Working holidays, not much room to move up

Too many tasks, not enough payroll to complete them.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

30% discount, even on top of sales and clearance.

Cons

There aren't enough hours to complete the tasks assigned.

We struggle with payroll weekly, we are currently so deep in stock that our backroom is almost impossible to walk though but we don't have the payroll to process it and we are continuously receiving 12-20 more boxes daily. The pay is not competitive with other stores, but the discounts are better. Though, if you don't have kids, the discount isn't a good enough perk to make up for the pay.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the clothes, good quality. Employee discount is pretty nice. Associates work well with each other to accomplish goals.

Cons

Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets. We don't have magic wands. Higher pay rate would be nice.

Stop having so many updates, especially around busy times. Things don't need to be moved 5 times in 2 weeks.

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

The Children's Place Photos