The Children's Place

Updated 23 October 2014
2.1

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a good job to have while in school.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a basic retail job. Holidays and peak seasons are busy which makes hours better.

Cons

The managers did not work well with my schedule. I informed them that I was a senior in high school and could only work weekends, and early evenings during the week, but that didn't stop them from having me scheduled late getting out of work after midnight.

Don't hire people if you don't want to work with their availability.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the clothes, good quality. Employee discount is pretty nice. Associates work well with each other to accomplish goals.

Cons

Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets. We don't have magic wands. Higher pay rate would be nice.

Stop having so many updates, especially around busy times. Things don't need to be moved 5 times in 2 weeks.

Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Great Place to work, good pay, flexible schedule with school, good discount

Cons

Working holidays, not much room to move up

Too many tasks, not enough payroll to complete them.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

30% discount, even on top of sales and clearance.

Cons

There aren't enough hours to complete the tasks assigned.

We struggle with payroll weekly, we are currently so deep in stock that our backroom is almost impossible to walk though but we don't have the payroll to process it and we are continuously receiving 12-20 more boxes daily. The pay is not competitive with other stores, but the discounts are better. Though, if you don't have kids, the discount isn't a good enough perk to make up for the pay.

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

Good Manager Starter Job.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount, good benefits for full timers, depends on manager on balancing schedule but I had a good experience.
    its a fast paced environment so your delegation as a manager come to test. If you are the typer of manager that wants to sit and chill on the computer this is not the job for you. Energetic environment with right staff.

Cons

District Managers need to ACTUALLY train their managers, they are the ones representing the company.
    not enough hours given from corporate to develop their associates.
    very part time (except for holidays)

Great pay, bad job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount and you get to learn a lot of different aspects of the business.

Cons

The company communication channel could be a lot better organized. There is never enough time to replenish or recover the store properly and this is due to payroll being such an issue.

Payroll is what allows for the company to make money. If there aren't enough hours for there to be enough employees the stores will continue to be trashed, not replenished to it maximum and lacking in associates to ring and help customers shop.

Great Store Management! Great Co-Workers!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store management was very organized and makes working there super fun! The discount is great especially when clothing is on sale. The managers at the store had worked there for over 15 years and love the company.

Cons

With any retail job, weekends and some holidays are required. The pay isn't the greatest for the entry level employees, and the raises weren't that great either. They also cut the employee discount within the time I worked there. Sometimes we would have to change around the in a short amount of time (and one time on Christmas Eve!).

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - ASM
    Former Employee - ASM

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have not one positive word about this company! Unfortunately, this site will not let me post my review unless I put something here!

Cons

No company culture, no time or payroll to train new employees, long hours, low pay, unprofessional corporate employees, shall I continue?

Stop with the updates! 99%of the time our DM would have no idea what she was talking about...if she ever even showed up. I am so happy I left the company. If you want clueless 19 year olds running your business continue to do exactly what you are doing.

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The great team you work with.

Cons

Company culture, disorganized, no payroll, unrealistic expectations, terrible regional manager, horrible customers, ludacris return policy, 20% increase for ALL internal promotions. The list goes on. Only work if you desperately need the money.

Start over, back to the drawing board!! Show your store teams some appreciation (not cookies) and corporate REALLY needs to help the high volume stores.

The Children's Place Photos