The Children's Place

Updated 17 October 2014
2.1

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

Cons

There weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Wouldn't ever go back.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing, they Didn't value employess much. Very rude management

Cons

Everything. Literally. It was horrible working there.

Stop doing favorites

Don't do it

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Tyler, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Tyler, TX (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Competitive salary if you are anything more than a sales associate

Cons

- Everything. Too many floor sets
    - Management doesn't care about you
    - They brainwash you and try to make you think that the "company" is the only thing on the planet
    - Sneaky, dishonest, backstabbers
    - Company doesn't care about you

Understand that nobody really wants to do this forever, lighten up, realize you aren't the center of the universe. Become a real person. Managers, these aren't "your" stores. You do all of the work for someone else. You don't own the store, the company, anything. You are not in charge of anything and never will be. Find a job that matters and changes lives. Children's clothing isn't important, it doesn't change lives, you leave no impact with this job so stop acting like you will be remembered for running a clothing store.

Bad upper management

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

good team, lots of things to learn

Cons

hours, bad upper management. overworked and underpaid

Worst place I've ever worked!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule is flexible
    Good hours
    Discount benefits

Cons

Extreme workload for low pay. Its seriously not worth working for a company who doesn't care about their employes. I worked there for a long time and I never got a raise. They expect so much from you and they don't even take the time to train you properly. There are no opportunities to grow in the company. One of the worst jobs I've ever had.

...

over worked and understaffed with horrible management.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Houma, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Houma, LA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was good, always busy, helping the customers choose items and seeing children was a blessing. doing promos, and price changes were frequent but not a problem.

Cons

the drive was terrible, manager was horrendous. Yelled at children, and kept pay from workers and wouldn't get paid for certain hours. felt like I was working by my self since co-workers were always on the phone. would talk down to employees. SHOULD NOT BE IN MANAGEMENT.

Find someone who actually cares about children and their staff.

Excellent business. Poor place to be employed.

Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are more favorable to the industry average. This includes health benefits, 401k, and time off. They are a leader in their specialty and have demonstrated the ability to stay there. There are very smart and hard working people running the company and at Director and Manager levels. Training employees is exceptional.

Cons

Where do I begin. Very difficult to be a happy employee. This is indicative up and down the organizational chain of commands. Walking on burning charcoal is a great example of the morale in this place. Very stressful and full of anxiety. For the past few years, upper management turnover has been very high and has caused excessive turnover at the mid level.

There is no sense of security at all and being ranked the "10th worst company to work for" by Huffington Post is being too generous. In reality, when the world sees it as bad, it's usually worse.

For the Children's Place, the phrase "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing" needs to expand to "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing at the expense of the #1 thing that makes or breaks companies. It's employees". It's time to stop covering the deep rooted insecurities and run the business. There is so much potential for our company and we should be looking back from a further distance.

Place more confidence in the people and let them think on their own. Creativity will come out and once again, this company will grow at the pace they should be growing at, not stagnate because stagnating keeps the stock at $50. It will be much easier to grow the business by taking care of the people who will bring you there.

Overly stressful for management team and also sales staff

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I've grown close to so many of my employees that I hate to see them go

Cons

We are constantly under such a huge amount of workload that we can't even service our customers or train new hires. We get no pay roll and as soon as a floorset comes out we get updates to change it and price changes. We are constantly told that we must greet, offer mesh bags, give promos and make sure your also getting Place Cards as well. You have the best members on your team so busy tasking that they can't stop or they will fall so far behind it's ridiculous. Constantly want picture updates so there's the added pressure that it has to be done and with perfection but traffic and sales aren't taken into consideration. We could make so much more money for the store if we had time to work with our customers instead we always work on only 2 coverage so your best person is working on shipment marketing or floorset while your least experienced is on the registrar...not very smart. Also management has to come up with fun neat things to send in on top of workload that show we are teaching our teams (that's great but stop throwing so much at as where it can be done with thought behind it) we are also required to have certain paperwork done everyday and monthly that management is so stressed half the time and hurting physically from the workload as well we can't be at the top of our game

Stop with all the updates...I understand the why of it...something isn't selling like you thought so let's move it and put it here and price it different. Or there has to be a way to cut back on either workload or give us more payroll so that we and be more affective. A better trained employee is more of an asset a over worked tired employee is not. You've got your top players out of the game if you care about sales then let us do what we are best at and give the customer what they need because in the end it's about them and maybe that shirt you just moved would be selling better if someone with the skill set had been able to have the time to add-on and show them all the great stuff we've gotten in

Will Work You To Death

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I cant think of one.

Cons

They will take advantage of you.

Get a clue all your price changes aren,t going to help you once you figure out that it is how you treat your employees that will help you, you might stand a chance. Save the money you spent on cookies and give more payroll.

Love/hate relationship with work

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Clarksville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Clarksville, IN (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with great people and the discount is great if you have children. Great if you like a fast paced work environment.

Cons

Company (District Manager) doesn't care about employees would rather hire from outside or past employees that quit than give it to someone deserving and qualifying.
    I also find it very odd that store management (SSM) has no say over hiring/firing of lower management (ASM/leads)

Expect to be over worked and ignored for promotions.

The Children's Place Photos