The Nielsen Company

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.0 1,139 reviews

The Nielsen Company Chief Executive Officer Mitch Barns

Mitch Barns

Pros
  • They have a great work life balance with work from home options available (in 81 reviews)

• Work hours are very manageable, work from home possibilities are nice (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is challenging given the workload is often too much (in 100 reviews)

• depending on your role, you could be working long hours in some stressful environments (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights
1,139 Employee Reviews

Inspiring co-workers, challenging work, and a "bring your whole self to work" environment make Nielsen a great company!

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsMy favorite part about working at Nielsen is the people. The smart, friendly people make coming to work something I look forward to every day. As far as the company culture, Nielsen can best be described as open and flexible. As long as you keep performing at a very high level, Nielsen will never count hours or days in the office - it's more about the quality of work you do than when you do it. Additionally, Nielsen's culture of meritocracy recognizes those that do perform at a very high level and invests in their personal and professional growth and development.

ConsLike many companies, Nielsen creates a very fast-paced work environment which can sometimes be a challenge given limited time and resources.

a

ProsGood team working environment here

ConsRestricted career path in my area.

Very enjoyable

Client Manager (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL (US)

ProsMotivating, well-managed, easy to move roles

ConsDifficult to manage clients and work life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the company; not a fan of the assessment system

Senior Market Analyst (Current Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

Pros- lots of opportunities to learn and develop your analytical skills
    - (mostly) great people to work with
    - get to work for a well respected company

Cons- the assessment system (bottom 20% are let go)
    - need to learn about the client you're working for really fast

Advice to Senior Management- don't get rid of people if you don't need to just because you need to let go of 20% of the analyst team

Good Place to work

Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsThis place provides really flexible work schedules. Really liked the friendly environment and work culture here. Work is pretty interesting and depending on what service you are working on exposure can be immense. The people I have worked with here have been pretty cutting edge and smart. Work culture promotes exploring newer avenues within the organization. Typically offices have small/moderate number of employees, so it is easy to reach out and work with folks across functions

ConsCan get stressful with long work hours. Work life balance can go to a toss (many a times). Career opportunities depend more on being at the right place at the right time rather than meritocracy alone - I've seen some scale up heights real quick while few others really stagnated (with comparable skillsets and expertise)

pretty good

Client Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosflexible scheduling is nice, casual office, pretty good benefit plans. if you have a good manager, then you have room to grow and get promoted. however, i have heard of nightmare bosses here.

ConsIt seems that there are a lot of blurred lines between titles and responsibilities - an associate manager often does the job of a manager and a manager often does the job of an associate director (next level up). This can build some resentment because it is not easy to move through the ranks here and into the next level even if you are actually managing your day to day work at that next level. Another con is that there are often unresponsive HR people when tough questions get asked. Also, the "meritocracy" way of dividing bonus and merit increases is laughable - a big pool of money divided among a big group means someone always gets shafted and does not get their fair share even if they did as good of a job as everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach - if you want employees to be the same cheerleader types that C-Suite people are, then give them more reasons to cheer.

One of the Best work cultures in a Market Research Company

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

ProsGreat Culture, Reasonable Pay & Meritocracy in performance management

ConsLimited Cross Country Opportunities
    Very high cost cutting

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Movement Opportunities

Positive experience in complex business environment

Vice President (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsNielsen offers a high energy environment that is focused on innovation. Another pro is that Nielsen has some very smart people working at the company and it's a very collegial culture.

ConsNielsen has a highly complex organizational structure, so speed of projects is often slowed by too many management layers and decisions by committee.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus in simplifying the organizational structure and allow employees more freedom to experiment with creative ideas.

A Global opportunity for anyone who wants it and actually comes to work!

Senior Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Oldsmar, FL (US)

ProsGreat environment. Great home/worklife balance. The most diverse company in the U.S.

ConsEvening bus routes are not available to some in need.

Advice to Senior Management92 years a leader in the Industry. I think I'll take my advice from them!

Great environment!

ProsLearning opportunities, interesting work, smooth workload

Conspoor salaries, slow pace carrer development

Advice to Senior ManagementHR is not given its importance and it all (development, quality of your work style, etc) depends too much on your manager.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!