The Ohio State University

Updated 21 October 2014
4.0

The Ohio State University Interim President Joseph A. Alutto
Joseph A. Alutto

Pros
  • Great benefits, I felt that I was professionally honored for my role (in 25 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be really good for staff (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work that is required for research (in 17 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for advancement in this particular field (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved the great benefits and work for a good purpose.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time

Pros

OSU offers great benefits to its employees--even GTAs get great healthcare benefits and paid maternity leave. The teaching load is light relative to other institutions.

Cons

Some administrators care more than others about doing their job well, and this impacts students, faculty, and co-administrators alike. While the pay is adequate, GTAs make less than at similar institutions nationwide. Class sizes are also large.

Challenging and Rewarding

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at The Ohio State University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The job, with the Department of Agricultural Economics (name has probably changed now), definitely made time for my studies and made them the focus of my tenure there. My project was very flexible on when I needed to put in my time, so I was able to to a good job with my studies as well as my assigned projects.

Cons

The pay was low for this position, but it was what I expected, so there were no surprises.

Thank you! I think all of the professors in the Agricultural Economics department are great people to work for.

WORK Environment: Interesting and personally fulfilling

Former Employee - Employee in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Employee in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at The Ohio State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life Balance is very great. It is possible to have a life outside of work.

Extremely Rewarding and personally fulfilling (non-financially).

Employees are passionate about what they do for the community and students.

Amount of workload and expectations greatly depends on the nature and type of position.

'Middle' managers and those who work directly with students are extremely passionate about what they do- most do the things they do for the students and not necessarily for personal financial gain. They don't get paid much but put up with allot of stress.

Cons

Upper management is completely out of touch with the lower level employees and students' needs.

Nepotism and cronyism is rampant. It is EXTREMELY hard getting raises, promotions, and full-time employment unless you personally know the hiring managers or are recommended for a position from someone who personally knows the hiring managers.

Pay rate and benefits are on the low range for most positions except for high level management and tenure track professorships.

Get to know your students and what they really and truly need; not what you think is best for them or for the financial bottom line. Do not consider the thoughts and opinions of a relatively small number of students, alumni, faculty, administrators, and staff members as gospel and representative of the whole community.

Consider the TRIPLE BOTTOM LINE and not just profits. Being blinded by and pursuing the financial bottom line above all else are ruining the lives of those in the community; most importantly the students and the people of Ohio that you ultimately serve by working at Ohio State. You run a NOT FOR PROFIT entity ultimately BEHOLDEN to the PEOPLE of OHIO and therefore must pursue a TRIPLE Bottom Line.

Positive experience with numerous opportunities to expand my technical skill set.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Numerous research projects with varied application and opportunity to be part of interesting projects. Access to numerous resources for research and the environment helps one learn many new skills. Great experience working with everyone.

Cons

Not any significant cons with respect to my experience

Fair and stable

Current Employee - Academic Coordinator in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Academic Coordinator in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, great benefits, secure employment

Cons

Little room for advancement, lower salaries, lower levels of challenge

Great benefits for graduate school, Salary at higher end of grad school range.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits for grad students are great, better than those for their employees in my opinion. There are also a lot of career support mechanisms in place for students. The campus is beautiful. There affordable is family housing which is great. I also like the diverse international community on campus.

Cons

There is no official vacation time for graduate students and post-docs, this is left to the discretion of your advisor/boss. Therefore time-off is irregular and differs from student to student, which I believe is not fair. There is also no set salary and salary increase mechanism for post-docs.

Give graduate students and post-docs allocated time-off independent of their advisors and you will have happier, more productive graduate students and post-docs. Also, post-docs need a mechanism for set salary increases each year, or else they are prone to being underpaid by their employers.

Great people, Great Job

Former Employee - Grader in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Grader in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, flexible schedules. They let you work around your school schedule, and are very flexible on the hours.

Cons

The for my position was fixed, and non-negotiable. There were no opportunities for raises.

Graduate Research Assistant in Physics Dept.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities and they pay for your tuition, what more can you ask for. Also has great health insurance.

Cons

Long hours and pretty low pay, but again, they pay for your tuition.

Successfully developed soft skills for use in the future

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing location and opportunities are plentiful. Plenty of opportunities for student involvement and participation in leadership.

Cons

Undergraduate students working for the University are deemed to not have any valuable input for leadership. It is very difficult to get support for new ideas without the backing of many higher-ups.

Give undergrads more freedom for ideas. They can help improve University Housing if you give them the opportunity for real input.

Great Environment

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time

Pros

There is endless opportunity here. Any club you can think of it's here.

Cons

Some classes they make ridiculously too hard.

The Ohio State University Photos