Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work(in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons(in 8 reviews)

Good.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsOpportunities to grow are out there

ConsBalance is difficult to achieve

Best job I've ever had!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsThe leadership in the office is very supportive and wonderful to work with, there is great work life balance, the culture in the office is positive and there are some amazing people to work with. They are always finding things to encourage employees like bocce ball tournaments and team building events. They also provide free soda, juice, coffee, water and more often than not there are leftovers from some meeting.

ConsHaving IT offshore is one of the biggest cons. It's very frustrating when you need IT needs. There are also limited opportunities for advancement.

I enjoy working for Towers Watson

ProsProfessional, respectful, good values, good career

ConsI don't have anything negative to say

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard play hard

ProsPeople are incredible to work with and very knowledgeable in their skill set
    If you want something, go after it. Make a business case and go after it!
    Many of the leaders have grown up from the business.
    High performing organization, challenge you day after day.
    You get to work with the top companies in the world.
    Tenure is high due to the incredible culture

ConsDemanding work. Project based work that demands from you highly during critical periods of the project.
    You think you are high performing? Everyone is here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Growing and challenging associates day after day

Great overall. Work-Life balance could be improved

Retirement Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsAbove average compensation, Great company and leadership, excellent work environment

Conswork-life balance needs major improvements

Fast paced

Pension Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsLot of very knowledgeable employees. If you prove your worth and knowledge they will reward you. The products being offered to clients are very good and the collaboration between teams continues to get better. Lots of new work in the pipeline for the future.

ConsWith those rewards they can lose sight of how much someone can possibly handle at once. Can be very high turnover in lower levels which leads to lack of consistent work product.

A great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsTowers has many talented employees and the company offers flexible schedules.

ConsThe company has a few bad managers.

Incompetent

Actuarial (Current Employee)

ProsNot a single thing is good

ConsAs a junior actuary I want to learn. To grow. To become the best at what I do.
    All I have done for the past year was cleaning data. When confronting management about this, they confirm that this will continue for the next 4 to 5 years, and even worse even people with 12 years of experience are still doing this.

The methods we use are out-dated to say the very least. In our whole office there are only 3 people who knows how to program in VBA. If I suggest a better approach it is shot down almost immediately.

I compare myself to my other actuarial friends in other companies and they are doing far more advanced things after 3 or 4 months than what I am doing after 1 year.

The junior actuaries hired (and a large number of senior actuaries as well), are completely useless as well with one girl who will become a qualified actuary in a few years asked me (to mention one of the few stupid questions) how to concatenate 2 cells in excel.

Another asking me what SC is exactly after working at TW for 7 months...

Good talent is leaving TW.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO NOT EMPLOY IDIOTS. Set up a testing system in which candidates much attain a certain level to be considered to join TW.

Not great for growth opportunities

Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood Benefits and work life balance

ConsNot a lot of growth opportunities

A lot of smart people

TWIS (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSmart hard working people interested in servicing clients.

ConsAttitudes ingrained in the TW way. Don't want to consider other ideas- it should be done this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the politics. The old guard knows how to work the system. Try to pay attention to some of that- it may be clouding the influencing workplace environment.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!