Towers Watson Reviews

Updated 21 October 2014
3.4

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of reviews have quoted an excellent work/life balance but I don't see it (in 48 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company to work for

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leading edge intellectual capital in the industry
    Smart colleagues who work collaboratively to help
    Flexible work/life policies
    Ease of work experiences in other countries

Cons

Since the Towers Perrin and Watson Wyatt merger in 2010, there is more internal bureaucracy to deal with, and Lines of Business think more in silos nowadays.

Find a way to more easily bring our best people and best work to our clients, regardless of who "owns" the work or client relationship.

Towers Watson Response

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thanks for the positive comments and constructive feedback.

Towers Watson

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

The compensation and bonus was good.

Cons

Stressful environment and they over work you. Hard to meet billable hours for bonus.

Decent people and culture; Notoriously weak pay and heavy workload

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

- Most people are competent, knowledgeable, friendly and willing to help junior analysts succeed in the long run
    - Free sports drinks in the vending machine
    - Health and Group Benefits promotes a very collegiate environment and there is substantial amount of unity among junior analysts
    - Work can be stimulating depends on the certain client team
    - The company does focus on professional excellence, with an extensive quality assurance process. The firm also fosters internal knowledge sharing and intellectual capital development to help streamlining service delivery and thus optimizing efficiency

Cons

- Competence and work ethics of employees can vary on two extremes
    - Certain senior consultants are incapable of controlling their emotions and terrorize everyone that works on their team. They make absolutely no effort to change their behavior, historically drove away few high competent associates due to deteriorating work relationships
    - Work-life balance is a big problem and there seems to be no fix
    - Compensation and benefits are lackluster, very ironic given the firm specializes in benefits consulting. The company has no revenue generation issues, so it's safe to conclude that the firm focuses on compensating individuals who are generating revenue (aka the senior consultants and above, whom are selling projects). However, leadership does need to realize junior analysts are executing the projects and churning out slides and spreadsheets at last nights.

- Pay junior analyst better so that they don't move to competitors, so difficult to replace people with significant experience in this niche industry, especially in the mid-career consultant level
    - Make an effort to understand why work-life balance is a challenge and reward offices with most amount of revenue generated while putting in relatively least amount of hours to promote a competition of managing workload effectively
    - Do not allow incompetent senior people to be people managers. A prerequisite for being a people manager needs to someone who is a "people person" and truly cares about helping junior analysts succeed and be a contributor.

Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Nice work environment with free fruits once a week.
    2. Some company organized events such as 5K run;
    3. Professional trade shows and educational opportunities.
    4. Nice packages when they layoff a department.

Cons

It all depends on the people you work with. Some managers needs to get more training to be better managers. Overall I do not have anything very bad to say.

Good people to work with & long hours

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good learning experience. Great leaders & knowledge to learn & grow

Cons

Promotions are entirely based on "Perceptions" - doesn't matter how good of a reviews you get. Your boss needs to be somehow impressed. A little partiality also exists in the system that is often not addressed by senior management due to lack of time/interest.

Please question why some people are promoted without meeting goals & others not promoted even after meeting goals. The idea of getting reviews is to remove "Bias" & be fair to all employees. Don't go by one mans assessment of all associates - question & probe.

Good company

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

lots of intelligent people working with you

Cons

time can be difficult to manage at times

Senior actuarial analyst

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smartest people in the industry.

Cons

Company is to top heavy and does not take care of the little people. Salaries are lower and hours are longer then other places.

Everyone is not easily replaceable. Even the little people. Take care of the people or the reputation of a low paying sweat shop will deter good people from thinking of working there.

I've only been with the company for three months but so far it's off to a great start. I feel like my work has meaning.

Current Employee - Lead Benefits Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Benefits Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great!

Casual dress is allowed except when clients are visiting, working from home is allowed on a limited basis, I can set my own schedule within reason, they provide a company iPhone, they do 401k matching and provide a pension, there are free sporting event tickets and tailgates for company outings, occasionally there is free food, the soda machines are always free, the list goes on and on.

Cons

It's a global company so there are a lot of people to coordinate with in order to get things done.

Also, I'm in a rapidly expanding business segment so there can sometimes be growing pains.

Your employees know that difficult changes need to be made from time to time. However, they would like to feel like management understands that changes take time and effort out of their normal work day and schedules.

Good employer

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

Great work life balance, good colleagues

Cons

Salary isn't comparable compared with market

Professional organisation doing good things - a bit stiff and boring though.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Good name, good services and good people

Cons

No clear goals that make business sense

Let go of the hierarchy and be more inclusive to all levels when thinking about innovation

Towers Watson Response

Oct 09, 2014Segment Lead Recruiter

Thanks for your positive comments. We think agree that we have good people! Thanks for the constructive advice as well.