Towers Watson Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.3

Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work (in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced

Current Employee - Pension Benefits Analyst  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Pension Benefits Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lot of very knowledgeable employees. If you prove your worth and knowledge they will reward you. The products being offered to clients are very good and the collaboration between teams continues to get better. Lots of new work in the pipeline for the future.

Cons

With those rewards they can lose sight of how much someone can possibly handle at once. Can be very high turnover in lower levels which leads to lack of consistent work product.

Good but not great

Current Employee - Consulting Actuary  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Actuary in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Smartest people in the industry
    Best resources
    Good benefits

Cons

Merger is still evident 3+ years later
    Middle management struggling to get upper managements ideas into motion
    Constantly moving target when it comes to year end measurement

Keep pushing the envelope with new ideas and help roll those ideas out to the individuals more effectively.

Not great for growth opportunities

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits and work life balance

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent

Current Employee - Actuarial
    Current Employee - Actuarial

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Not a single thing is good

Cons

As a junior actuary I want to learn. To grow. To become the best at what I do.
    All I have done for the past year was cleaning data. When confronting management about this, they confirm that this will continue for the next 4 to 5 years, and even worse even people with 12 years of experience are still doing this.

The methods we use are out-dated to say the very least. In our whole office there are only 3 people who knows how to program in VBA. If I suggest a better approach it is shot down almost immediately.

I compare myself to my other actuarial friends in other companies and they are doing far more advanced things after 3 or 4 months than what I am doing after 1 year.

The junior actuaries hired (and a large number of senior actuaries as well), are completely useless as well with one girl who will become a qualified actuary in a few years asked me (to mention one of the few stupid questions) how to concatenate 2 cells in excel.

Another asking me what SC is exactly after working at TW for 7 months...

Good talent is leaving TW.

DO NOT EMPLOY IDIOTS. Set up a testing system in which candidates much attain a certain level to be considered to join TW.

Make sure you have a people manager who takes development seriously.

I worked at Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Exposure to various clients and industries.

Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager.

Cons

You'll do the same work over and over again. If you get stuck with a people manager who doesn't care about development you can get dead ended. Some offices afford you more flexibility than others. Average benefits. I highly recommend not starting your career at Towers. Other firms do a much better job of developing their people. Go to Hay, Pay Governance or Pear Meyer if you are starting your career in this field. You'll be treated much better as an analyst or project manager.

Do a better job of picking people managers. Look at what offices have high turnover/haven't promoted people and ask yourself what has been the constant.

Poor Division Leadership, stifled internal issues & no incentive to perform well.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Some great colleagues who are all very intelligent.
    -Somewhat flexible working schedule (remote, etc).
    -Exposure to varied clients

Cons

-Well below market compensation and pitiful bonuses.
    -WAY too much emphasis on billable hours. The hours target is unrealistic unless you work like a horse.
    -ZERO incentive to perform well - bonuses are severely lacking.
    -No clear Performance Review process: Mid-Year was often skipped with no explanation. Process was disjointed and inefficient (e.g., Employees who had limited exposure to you will be asked to review you - nothing done about achieving your objectives).
    -No recognition - "It's your job, why should we let reward you?"
    -VERY poor Division Management (specifically in the OSI division in the East). Leaders are "fake" and absent in helping you build your career.
    -No advancement opportunities - if you're an Analyst, plan to stay in that role. They only hire consultants externally. Even then, the salaries are a joke (6+ year consultant was at $68k in NYC).
    -No adjustment for Cost-of-Living: Example, those working in NYC are compensated the same as those in Atlanta.
    -"Back-stabbing" and pointing fingers is the norm.

-Focus on the employee, not their billable hours
    -Create incentive to actually perform above expectation
    -Meet market pay
    -Replace division leaders in OSI (esp. the East) with those who are both astute in the business world AS WELL as possessing some semblance of EQ.

Great Company unless you work in the Finance Department

Current Employee - Project Billing Analyst  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Billing Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are opportunities to post out to other departments, but it is very rare and a slow process to transfer out of the Finance Department. The Finance Department is looked down upon and the workers are treated like peons. Management is very hands on and is constantly watching who is at their seats and working. The Department is micro managed from the Director down to the Supervisors. It is a very abrasive and tense environment.

Cons

I don't have anything positive to say about personal growth, promotions and leadership except it is very hard to move. The low balled the salaries of the employees just joining the team and the disparity in salaries amoungst the group is very large. Some people make 38,000 and some make 65,000 to do the same exact job.

They need to evaluate the leadership role from the Supervisors up to the VP of the Department and make changes. Talk the talk, but also walk the walk. They have nice meetings but people are afraid to speak up and speak their minds for fear of retaliation or being terminated. Management is unapproachable and too hands on.

Great for those who are starting out

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Reigate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Reigate, England (UK)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with people who have a wealth of experience in the field
    Everyone is very helpful
    Most people are easy to work with

Cons

People complain about salaries
    People move to other firms as they provide better salaries
    Management does not seem to do anything about attrition

Review salaries and make adjustments to address the attrition rate

Great stepping stone into a consulting career but LOTS of internal issues

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really smart people, very 'client first', brand name looks good on a resume, lots of client exposure

Cons

Pay is not competitive with other firms, senior leadership is completely out of touch with lower level employees, hyper-competitive "blame" environment, lack of recognition, culture of favoritism, lack of top-down communication, lack of career development and growth opportunities, lack of incentives to stay, impossible billable goals, lower level employees are systemically unhappy, no work-life balance, no on-boarding process

Listen to what your lower level employees say and make tangible changes, the fact that there is zero communication top-down or acknowledgement of external challenges/issues make the work environment toxic. You know what employees are saying (org surveys etc) take the time to actually do something about it or expect to lose more people. You can't pay people next to nothing, treat them poorly, and expect them to stick around for very long. This is a company (or at least LOB) wide issue.

Reseracher

I have been working at Towers Watson

Pros

You can learn a lot from knowledgeable industry experts.

Cons

Pay is below comparable opportunities.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!