Town Sports International Holdings

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Town Sports International Holdings CEO, President, and Director Robert J. Giardina

Robert J. Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and that's it- kids could be fun but not set up well for camp so it was more like a babysitting service(in 36 reviews)

• friendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance you are constantly on call from 5am till 11pm and forget about holidays(in 10 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance(in 5 reviews)

Great Team, Average Management

Welcome Team (Former Employee) Franklin, MA (US)

Prosfriendly employees, free gym membership, everyone works together as a team

ConsPoor management. Good GMs are promoted quickly. Bad GMs are not and therefor spend a lot more time doing mediocre work until they either quite or do something bad enough to get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter hiring process. Less reliance on online questionnaire.

Assistant General Manager Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood hours
    Get to improve lives through fitness

ConsLots of administrative work
    Too much focus on sales not enough on customer experience

Fitness Manager in charge of fitness sales and personal trainers.

Fitness Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFree gym membership.
    Progress quickly due to extremely fast turnover.
    In club hourly staff typically are good people to work with.

ConsVery top heavy company.
    No communication.
    Company is moving away form their mission statement "Improving lives through exercise" and only cares about the bottom line.
    All management positions have become glorified sales positions.
    No power is given to in club management.
    Upper management has continued to fail for years but they continue to have jobs.
    Turnover is extremely high in club management positions (6 General Managers in 1 club in less than 1 1/2 years)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to consider giving the in club management the ability to properly manage the facility they are held accountable for. In a health and fitness business you need to care about the members health and fitness and not how much money you can get out of them, people will pay anything if you care for them properly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGym Membership

ConsLong Hours
    Promotions based on friendship
    Low integrity in sales
    Pay isn't great
    Company doesn't care about members

NOT GOOD

Fitness Service Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosno training, lack of direction, punitive discipline, no support, just an all around excruciating experience!!!!

Conspoor culture, non existent, joined b/c of a friend, I am no longer friends with this individual

Advice to Senior ManagementGET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!

Not for the Fitness Professional - Profits before People

Personal Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) Springfield, NJ (US)

ProsJust the brand name with all the locations- we are expected to have a professional image to justify such high prices on memberships and personal training packages

ConsThis company does not care about how their employees are paid whether its middle management to entry level trainer. This corporation does not care if a trainer is paid for sessions or not. They bend over backwards to screw you in terms of compensation and advancement. They will not accept your PT certification for what its worth you STILL have to get certified and pay for ACE even tho most start off with minimum wage. So much red tape, and paperwork and forms and boxes, and hoops to jump through. The $$$ and profits for investors come before quality of life to employees and members - PT packages are complicated an inflexible. There are lots of office politics, and "throwing people under the bus" - bad environment to grow a business, I doubt this company as a whole will succeed financially ..... members usually go to other places JUST for personal training.... This text I copied and saved from my notes even though it may sound repetitive: The company does not have the best interests of the members at heart. In fact this place bows down to investors so much that they are willing to accept LEWD behavior and DISRESPECTFUL members. The turnover rate of my managers (fitness managers and general managers) and disgust with members is off the charts. In the business course, the corporate level officers make it seem like you can make $100,000 and my rough sketch of my annual earnings with this company are around $4,500, so I am making something around minimum wage! On top of that I had to invest in getting a certification for $540 and I lost time studying for it. The shifts are inflexible in that I am not able to train people who have a nighttime schedule ON THEIR HOURS - if I train 2 clients during a shift I don't get paid for coming in, meaning my shift hours are not accounted for. I was not paid for 6 weeks of group exercise training, on top of practically losing money with this job it does not have the entrepreneurial spirit it tries to say it is about.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better
    Make some kind of ethics line to hold people accountable for their mistakes
    If you hire someone, plan on developing them and keeping them
    Let the people in the individual locations make decisions on their own without needing to get stamps of approval, and eliminate all this corporate control
    Simplify personal training packages
    Allow for a change in the board of directors or senior management, let the real leaders lead
    Focus more on being service oriented instead of profit oriented
    Live the values instead of having corny corporate slogans that nobody follows

If you honestly care about your career don't bother with this company because they don't care about you.

Fitness Service Manager (Former Employee) Springfield, NJ (US)

ProsAs the FM, you get to develop your team and help them grow. You control the hiring of the training staff.

ConsExhausting hours. If you care about working as a team, you need to move on...NOW! Members have precedence over employees and management. If you think you will get help from the Fitness Director or Business Director you can forget that....you're on your own! Constant pressure, paperwork and micromanagement. The FM concentration is on sales, and how to make your trainers better "Selling Machines" so you can hit your numbers. If you honestly care about people and not the numbers so much.....don't bother! The directors will use the "Overcoming of Objectives" against you as you use against members to make the sale. If you don't hit your numbers you will be subjected to a psychological game.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old! Start training new staff! If the FM is not getting cooperation from any staff regardless of their length of employ, they should have the ability to discipline and not have to go running for help. LISTEN, you need to listen to what needs to be done in each individual club, not all clubs are the same. Just because it's working in one or fifty others it doesn't mean the same model will work in that demographic.

Great learning experience, poor work environment.

Membership Consultant (Former Employee) East Brunswick, NJ (US)

Pros-Best pay in Industry
    -Free Gym Membership
    -Largest Fitness franchise on the east coast
    -If your new to sales, its a great vehicle to learn new skills and develop a network.

Cons-Large rate of turnover
    -Quotas get higher and higher without regard of market, demand and competition
    -BD's and Gm's will micromanage you to every penny
    -No reimbursement for prospecting or driving activities
    -2-4 closeouts in a month, 9 am- 9 pm shifts
    -Crappy Base pay, commissions will make up more than half of your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on creating POSITIVE employee engagement, and allow your employees to have a life outside of work. Also management should maybe jump on a treadmill or lift weights, I mean you do work at a gym, right? Shouldn't we practice what we preach, especially as a leader?

Excellent Environment

Human Resources (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsTeam members in the corporate office are very willing to partner with each other to foster creativity, implement and see a project through. People truly are living the mission statement of the company and care about fitness and improving lives through exercise.

ConsThere is a process for everything which can take time. Ultimately, it's to make sure that it will be truly beneficial to the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to team members in the field and lower level staff when moving in new directions.

Mission Statement Does Not Match Mission Given to Employees

Membership Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI do not have one positive thing to say about this company and the position of Membership Consultant.

ConsThe Mission Statement says that the company wants its employees to have balance between work and personal life, but there is no time for any sort of personal life with the hours expected from Membership Consultants. The hours are brutal and salary is based on a 40 hour weeek, but you are expected to work 50. There is no internet access for sales team in the company, but research into prospective companies is expected. This is a salary postion, but it is extremely difficult to make comissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a training program that actually works. Give tools to your sales team so they can succeed. Carefully review and monitor the training facilitators. My training was a complete joke and I was absolutely unprepared to fufill the job requirements. Also, don't lie to prospective staff about the required work hours. I would never have taken the job if I was told the truth.

Worked for Town Sports International Holdings? Contribute to the Community!