Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Jul 21, 2014

2.8 1,044 reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay

Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas(in 37 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program(in 48 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers(in 45 reviews)

1,044 Employee Reviews

Employment

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsFriendly work environment, able to take time off.

ConsNot enough hours, staff are not trained, no growth opportunities, if you take time off expect your hours to be permanently cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should know more than their employees and not expect experience employees to pick up their slack

Employment

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Cairns

ProsI had worked there and found it easy to work.

ConsHad to leave for medical reasons, got better and wasn't accepted back.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe hire people who have more experiance.

Fun and fast paced!

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Rowland Heights, CA (US)

ProsI had a great experienced everyone working with us were fun and energetic. We worked as a team.

ConsSometimes understaffed. Company demands a lot for customers but lack of workers makes it hard to please every customer. Minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpliment a strategy to bring the best ability of all workers, better scheduling will make it easier for the whole team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part-Time Workers

Cashier (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosgreat people to work for, always busy, have great store wide get togethers

Consno training and you just get thrown on the job as a cashier. Slightly overwhelming

Advice to Senior Managementhave a more thorough training time for employees

Fun environment because of the customers (kids).

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Tigard, OR (US)

ProsThe job is fun because of the product you are selling.

ConsChallenges are that there reward system for going above and beyond was lame. Management was fine, owner was a bit high strung.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more reward for going above and beyond.

Underappreciated

ProsThe people I work with.

ConsManagers take advantage of their position to force you to do things that they are paid to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your "Managers" are doing their jobs and not pawning them off onto other team members.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!

Department Supervisor (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThe managers and district managers are all amazing and willing to teach if you're willing to learn. You have to be out-going and fast-paced. You have to be extremely understanding because when customers buy at TRU they expect what they expect and nothing less will suffice. Pleasing the customer is the motto so you have to provide everyone including the kids have an enjoyable experience, after all it is TRU We don't want to grow up.

ConsI have absolutely no cons for TRU.

A lost company that's trying to find its way again...

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you love interacting with customers then this would be a place for you. Customer engagement is one of the company's highest priorities, but they also grade you on it through customer surveys. Their new vision is clear and to the point: Easy, Expert, & Fair. My hope is that they continue with the progress they're making but be mindful of how they get it there and not add more workload and cut payroll.

ConsAs a Store Manager in a low volume store, the workload remains the same as if you were in a high volume store but with less people....the challenge....having the right people in the right place and all of them high performing. If they are not high performing, highly engaged team members, it WILL make your job in a low volume store a thousand times harder and more difficult, as it would probably anywhere. But when you take over your own store you never really know what your getting into until you get in there. If your willing and driven to overcome large obstacles in a fast paced environment, while facing rapid change and holding team members accountable...then this could be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that your stores are staffed properly and a succession plan is in place. Ensure they are being given the payroll they need to run their stores efficiently and give realistic payroll for completing large projects that are out of the daily grind.

A great place to work!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsNice co-worker, good pay, helpful bosses

Conscleaning up the store at the end of the day

First Job Great Experience

Back of the House Team Member (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA (US)

Proscoworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas.

Conslow pay, long hours during holiday season few hours the rest of the year

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!