Toys for Bob

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul Reiche

Toys for Bob Fallen by the Wayside since Activision

Modeler (Former Employee) Novato, CA (US)

ProsThere are few pro's for working there now, other than simply for the money and work-experience. The culture is cliquish and closed, and no longer has the family working together feel that it once had. Now it is quite dog-eat-dog with decisions being made by management that is ill-suited to make them.

ConsThe atmosphere has been on a steady decline, even while the somewhat transitory success of Skylanders has kept the financially strong. The company had strong work/life balance while they were still independent, although career opportunities have always been minimal (the chance to move up here is fundamentally nil). Senior management makes many decisions based on cliques, rather than skill or appropriate design sense. Culture that used to be strong, is now pretty much dead, corporate desert. Very sad really

An experienced video game developer that knows how to make fun games!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Novato, CA (US)

ProsToys for Bob is definitely very good at scheduling, being decisive, knowing their limitations, and setting realistic goals. Most video game companies are notorious for having long hours and months of crunch-time. The leaders at Toys for Bob all have families and children and realize that employees need to balance their work and personal life in order to be productive and successful. Toys for Bob also has a very relaxed, friendly, and casual work environment.

The one thing that separates Toys for Bob from other video game developers is that TFB has extremely robust and powerful design tools that allow the game designers to prototype and play-test ideas very quickly. The designers’ only limitation is their imagination and creativity. They aren’t hampered by inadequate tools, and they don’t have to rely on programmers to write code to implement a certain game mechanic. Whereas many video game developers take several months to prototype a certain idea, a designer at TFB can do it several days. This rapid prototyping allows TFB to quickly weed out bad ideas and iteratively improve good ones.

ConsNone really. I've been in this industry for over a decade, and this is one of the best video game developers I've worked for.

good company

Artist (Current Employee) Novato, CA (US)

Prosgood work environment and good workers.

ConsI think about it.. I can't find the cons.

Worked for Toys for Bob? Contribute to the Community!