Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

Customer service

Customer Service (Former Employee) Studio City, CA (US)

ProsBenefits good people and it's fun

ConsThere isn't any cons it's all good.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Crew Member

Crew Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsFun atmosphere
    Great co-workers
    Always a delicious treat open in the back room

ConsThe company is becoming more and more corporate. The salaries and benefits are decreasing and the good people are being scared away. It's slowly becoming Wal Mart which is really sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGod back to the old days. I understand Trader Joe's wants to grow and expand, but it doesn't need to be at the cost of its employees.

Fun and Physical

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee)

ProsLoved the staff and management, work was exciting and went fast, lots of product sampling and training.

ConsWanted longer hours.. benefits could be a little better.. overall is a friendly place to work though.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give more full time positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, friendly company to work for.

Crew Member/Sign Artist (Former Employee) Morgan Hill, CA (US)

ProsTJ's has such a laid-back environment, and everybody treats each other like family. Weekly tastings, regular reviews with opportunity for pay increase, and extremely flexible hours at the Crew Member level. I worked on the sign team and spent my hours in artistic therapy.

ConsIt's basically a mix of retail and foodservice, and many customers will treat you with little to no respect and make outrageous requests & demands. If you can deliver customer service with a positive attitude despite the occasional obstacle, it's no biggie.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody's perfect but you guys are doing pretty well by your people. Kudos!

fun job

Prostreated with respect and great people

Conssore body with hard work

Advice to Senior Managementkeep listening

love the culture of this company. customers are happy to be shopping there.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgreat culture, good benefits, and fun environment

Conshard physical work. schedule can be very difficult for families

Great company to work for

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM (US)

ProsGood benefits, good people. I enjoyed the people that I worked with, and I appreciated that Trader Joe's lets you try their foods so you know what you're working with. It's a positive place to work. Difficult to get in because so many people want to work there, but once you're in you're one of the lucky ones...who works in grocery stores.

ConsMonotonous, repetitious, physically demanding. Dealing with a lot of customers, and during the holiday season can be an enormous amount of pressure. There's an underlying corporateism, and the company continues to get more corporate. Mostly, just dealing with the kinds of people who come into a grocery store...which means just about all kinds of people. Gotta be good with customers. Or else...what are you doing working in a grocery store?

Very disappointing experience

Mate (Assistant Manager) (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and great benefits

ConsComplete lack of training for incoming mates. I came with a wealth of experience and felt as if I was being "hazed" for the duration of my tenure, especially from the captain, who was very old school. Very cliquish atmosphere. I can attest that the great "vibe" the public sees as shoppers is far from what TJ's really is.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a training program, embrace people's differences, treat people with respect.

Fading Glory, Trader Joe's has become a large retailer and is NOT A SPECIAL PLACE TO WORK! Los Angeles area.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsA little less formal as far as retail, jeans, shorts...
    Small stores, less running around, compared to big box.
    For now, workers are still kind of happy, changing fast.

ConsNow a Big Company and feeling more like it everyday.
    Managers are lazy, standing in groups, doing nothing.
    Company is forcing more short-shifts, 5 hours or less and cutting hours on every shift, forcing higher-paid, experienced workers out.
    If you dare to get a second job to help pay bills, they stop scheduling you but don't really fire you...
    "Merchants" no longer carry keys and are just the managers favorites who kiss ___ and get over paid to stock shelves, they don't help anyone (workers or customers).
    Managers give you an "area" to clean but there is no time given to "keep it clean".

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you "Know everything", nothing.

Stores have decreased quality over the past few years.

Crew Member (Current Employee) Merrick, NY (US)

ProsGood benefits (if they didn't screw you out of 30 hours during the change)
    Opportunity for a raise every 6 months
    Some good people

ConsMorale in this company has hit an all time low over the past years, since the change of benefits and the many events of restructuring. Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store. Crew members who have been there for a long time and work hard are expected to make up all the work while the slackers slide by, while they end up getting the same raise as the people who work hard because it is a flat rate. Managers gossip with crew members about other crew members.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking more about the little people. After all, they are the ones who do your job, and are being treated poorly.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!