Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros:
  • "Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "job can not be adjusted to accommodate crew members who get injured"
    in 50 reviews
  • "physically demanding to the point of serious repetitive motion injuries with no compensation"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great job, Sales clerk

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than a year

Proslaid back environment, great pay

Consnone, this is a great place to work

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Crew Member

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Trader Joe's

ProsFun environment, cool people to work with, always busy, overall I really enjoyed my time working here.

ConsI don't know about other stores but a lot of the old timers refused to work weekends and that left us newer people literally never getting weekends off which left me with no life and no time to spend with fam/friends since I went to school during the week. It just seemed a little unfair.

Working at TJ's

F/T Crew Member (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than a year

Prosin general honest attempts in developing a good (if not great) working environment, decent hourly starting rate (typ. over $10/hr.), TJ's continues to attract some wonderful Crew Members (employees), you will find yourself working alongside some marvelous folk - a great mix of ages and backgrounds

Cons- path to success not always clear; expectations are much better defined after first review (6 months in ...), corporate (regional and national) needs to re-focus on core values and listen less to it's own hype - seems to have strayed away a bit in recent years ... some unevenness in follow through

Trader Joe's is a fantastic place to work!

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

ProsPositive work environment. Great communication from management and always the ability to move up. Strong company culture shown thru weekly beer/wine/food tastings, and available information on all new products.

ConsWorking on your feet all day, possibility of injuring yourself if you don't lift product carefully. Stretch breaks are key.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, at least at my location the management is doing a great job.

Nice job for still deciding on next step.

Crew Member (Former Employee)
La Jolla, CA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

ProsFun, lively work environment. Awesome crew!

ConsMust be very physical, some demands might seem ridiculous for a small person. Health benefits changed.

Stable job. Good pay and benefits for work.

Section Leader (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible schedule. Good benefits. Variety of coworkers that keep job interesting. Free gym membership. Pay is above the industry norm. Health care above average. Casual clothing.

ConsPromote people that are not ready or are not qualified. Hours for some employees can be tough. Too much gossip. Accountability is pretty much non existent. Snooty customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecute accountability standards. Promote from within. Be fair.

Great Company

Mate (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent compensation, and benefits. Get to wear a Hawaiian shirt to work. Great working environment.

ConsHours can be from 4am to midnight. Tough life if you have a family or daycare needs.

Great company that is going through many changes

I have been working at Trader Joe's

ProsTrader Joe's is a great company to work for. They work you very hard though,They are flexible with your schedule, they pay well,give raises every 6 months, hours are consistent, and it is a great team environment. For what is is and compared to the rest of the retail environment Trader Joe's till beats all.

Consno consistency in scheduling, cutting health benefits, minimizing raises, management can be poor at times on the higher level.

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to the wants and needs of crew members. the crew runs that store and are the foundation of Trader Joe's success. Give back health benefits !

Great experience, challenging yet enjoyable

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 3 years

Prosworking with wonderful people, amazing products, flexible schedule, casual environment

Conshard to maintain a work/life balance, work is difficult on you physically

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue hiring quality people, take notice of people contributions

Great company, but management hiring, training, and developing processes must be reevaluated.

Section Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, excellent benefits, and a fun work environment.

ConsManagement can be difficult to work with sometimes, unorthodox schedule, and aches and pains from labor can accumulate very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on developing and training new and existing managers.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Trader Joe's CEO Dan Bane. All 502 reviews are posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees.