Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros
  • Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)(in 25 reviews)

• The crew members are some of the most interesting and quirky people I have ever met(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are extremely lazy and pass all work along to the crew members(in 57 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit(in 39 reviews)

A Great Adventure Awaits as A Crew Member!

Crew Member (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros*Pay (highest in the grocery industry)
    *Flexibility particularly for those who are students or hold multiple jobs
    *Diverse group of co-workers
    *Excellent health benefits
    *Fantastic retirement plan
    *WOW! University (training)

Cons*Physically demanding work (if you have back issues, may be difficult to complete tasks efficiently)
    *Lack of consistency among management styles

Great Company

Crewmen (Current Employee) San Rafael, CA (US)

ProsPay is good reviews happen frequently employee discounts

ConsNone really. Very nice place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites.

good company to work for

Mate (Assistant Manager) (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI (US)

Prosgreat benefits , great people.

ConsVery physical. Hard to succeed unless you have a good captain.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is still too much of "we do this because it is how we always do this".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On the bright side its starts off at $10/hr, not bad at all for being a beginner of working.

ProsFood discounts, health benefits, mostly friendly crew, loving customers.

ConsReviews not accurate, favoritism happens in the store (some co-workers can do what they want as long as they'e good friends with a manager) co-workers steal from one another (breaking into lockers) and some rude disrespectful customers and highly praise "the customer is always right.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it professional and play your role. Don't act as a regular co worker playing favortism making some employers your friends. Treat everyone equally and stay on tasks.

Great company to work for

Crew Member (Former Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsThe pay is great, even starting out. There are opportunities for raises every 6 months, having met their criteria for being a stellar employee of course (knowing your job, talking to the shoppers/being friendly, going above and beyond expectations, etc). I met some great friends along the way in the form of coworkers, managers and even the shoppers. Trader Joe's has a family feel to it where everyone is usually jovial who walks in (sometimes too much) Also, there are always new products that come out so taste testing is a regular thing.

ConsIf you don't take care of yourself physically, it's going to be difficult. There are many times where you have to lift heavy things and over time it is taxing. There is the occasional drama that goes on between coworkers and the managers too. Some managers like to play favorites as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do a great job. Just weed out the other managers who aren't in it for the best interest of the company.

Cool and stable job

Crew Member (Former Employee) Columbia, MD (US)

ProsIt is a pretty decent place to work for. They like personalities and people who want to work hard.

ConsSome of the management needs to go, and some employees literally wander around and do nothing all day

trader joes is a great place to work

Mate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Prosgreat people and many great food options. Great management staff who spend much time on the development of the crew.

Conshave to deal with the general public. You don't get to spend much time with your family because you spend so much time at work. You have to do lots of heavy lifting which can quickly run your body down into the ground. You are not compensated well for the amount of time and effort you put in as a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you were once a part time employee too.

Fun, Easy Job

Demo Hostess (Former Employee) Cerritos, CA (US)

ProsMy co- workers & Managers were a pretty great group of people. Employee loyalty, opportunities to advance if you apply yourself. Good pay.Good Benifets.

ConsI cant complain, I guess the position could be borring & repetiive at times. Dealing with Difficult Customers. Durring the holidays you get to taste test new special holiday items- to tell the customers abou them. I gained weight! I guess that was really my fault though!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it Real

Restructuring not good

Crew Member (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule. Good food and tastings. Not stuck doing same work all the time. Cool coworkers. Benefits are still good even though they have declined dramatically.

ConsRestructuring really hurt the company as far as morale and benefits. Morale at all time low since I have been working there. The way they demoted merchants at every single store in the company was completely unfair and unjust. They picked new merchants based on favoritism. The training for managers is poor. Managers need to be trained before they are promoted not as a work in progress. Then they can tell if they are leaders or not. That is the way they use to do it. Just because someone is a good worker does not mean they can manage or lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting benefits for your workers. Regionals need to talk to their crew members more. Get some feedback. They can tell you what is the real deal. Talking to managers in the store when they visit is not going to let them know how the store is really being run or what the feeling is as far as working conditions. A lot of managers will cover their butts with lies. So they look good and the store looks good.

Love

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood team support, management helpful to employee needs.

ConsLow pay. No advancement. Very difficult to move up once hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk then listen.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!