Trader Joe's

Updated 17 December 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

friendly work environment; pleasant co-workers; better than average pay; fun atmosphere

Cons

young bosses that try but are lacking in experience, which is only a very small part of my work life here.... the higher level management know what they are doing and are making strides in communicating that to the lower level managers... overall still a very small thing, nothing to worry about really.

learn to delegate a bit better, communicate individually instead of a large group where the subject matter doesn't apply.

Great company to work for part time!

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Larchmont, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Larchmont, NY (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great benefits for part time employees! Starting pay was above average. Great group of people.

Cons

Part time means you won't be able to work over 40 hours per week.

Fun Place, Good Benefits

Current Employee - Sign Artist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sign Artist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Fun co-workers, good benefits, flexiblility

Cons

retail means working weekends and holidays and little respect from clientele

pros

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

nice people easy job for first time

Cons

rude costumers and that's it

none

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Crew Member in Newport News, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Newport News, VA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Respectful managers and a fun environment!

Cons

It's not easy to get full time hours

Make full time hours available to part time associates

Awesome Place, Hours? Not so much...

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

- Great environment to work in, co-workers are usually happy, customers aren't crazy or overly mean most of the time.

-Raises are great and once you do your job and on time, basically being a good employee your guaranteed a raise every 6 months or so.

Cons

-Hours, when they are good they are great, if it's slow, get a second job.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers and coworkers were pretty friendly and knowledgeable about products. Atmosphere is very laidback.

Cons

New employees aren't given very in-depth training in regards to certain food sections (ex; produce/cold case) unless if the managers are hiring them to work on those sections.

Train all employees to be well-versed in produce and cold case sections.

Best retail job out there!

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Glendale, WI (US)
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Glendale, WI (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Very competitive pay. Excellent benefits. Super relaxed and yet energetic atmosphere. Great products.

Cons

Lack of programs for those looking to advance their career. Seems like you literally need to have all the stars aligned in order to make an upward move.

Keep promotions from within whenever possible. Groom your crew to become the future leaders of the store. You have amazing potential sitting right in front of you.

Fast paced and always changing or 'Kaizening.'

Current Employee - Crew Member in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Discount on groceries and alcohol. Good benefits. Fast pace.

Cons

Full time hours (37.5 per week) are hard to come by in expanding regions. Expect to have a second job. Promotions are given first based on wage, typically at $16 or higher, and then history/experience/skills. Lots of favoritism from management. Stores seem to go through intense hiring phases every two to three years to weed out higher paid employees and replace them with lower paid ones.

Cutting hours from senior stores when new stores open isn't appreciated. Over hiring. Too much turnover. Double bubble raises are completely political. Not consistent hours.

It's difficult to admit the changes.....

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hands down, this is the most enjoyable job I've ever had. The people are great, the management is better than any other retail enviornment that I've ever worked in. We are afforded enough power to make customers happy and do our jobs. The customers are a cut above any other grocer, they are usually more respectful and generally more educated than a regular grocery store. This makes for a much more enjoyable customer service experience. The retirement plan, though reduced over the past few years, is still wonderful in todays market.

Cons

As the company grows, hours are being cut as well as benefits. We once qualified for benefits at an average of 20 hours per week. That limit was bumped up to 30 hours last year and has wrecked havoc amongst its employees. People that once qualified, no longer do and are forced into the government plan which in most cases is much, much more expensive than what we had at work. They are also not as comprehensive as what we once enjoyed. Raises are still generous but nowhere NEAR what they once were. As the company has grown, their generosity decreased.

I understand these are tough times and Trader Joe's still does stand out amongst other retailers. However, you DID cut our benefits. You DID slow our raises down. You DID reduce our retirement. There seems to be no acknowledgement of this. Instead, every few months, I get what I like to call the "aren't you glad I'm your boyfriend?" letters. They tell us how wonderful you all are for providing us with what we have and how well it compares to other companies. That's awesome. I understand these are tough economic times and things everywhere are changing. But stop telling me I shouldn't be unhappy that every quarter I have to worry if I will be able to provide benefits for my family because my hours are cut during the summer, a slow time for us and hours are again cut in winter even though it's busy. If I lose benefits with you, my cost will go up $150 per month through the government plan. That is not an affordable option for me or my family. Your company is growing and it appears to me that as you grow, employee benefits will wane. That is disheartening for me because I love this company. I believe in this company and I don't want to someday have to say that they let me down to the point of having to leave.