Travelers Companies

Travelers Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Travelers Companies Chairman & CEO Jay S. Fishman

Jay S. Fishman

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is generally good, though it can depend on what group you are in"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Great Benefits / Salary is at upper end for most all adjusting jobs"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance for already overworked adjusters & managers proves difficult"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Very little opportunity for advancement or movement within other lines of business within the company"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Strong company, low career growth potential

Regional Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStable environment with training support

ConsDifficult management structure that does not always align with business needs of field personnel

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace knowledgeable people, in mentorship positions, to support your field staff

Great Culture not much Advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe environment and culture in our department was great, there was a perfect balance of work and life. It felt like a family and it made it difficult to leave. The work was consistent and the company doesn't like to fire people so they will find a new position for you if you need more to do. They also value go-getters so the more confident you are the better off you'll be.

ConsWith most people having been there for 5 years+ there is not much room for advancement. You can get a "senior" in front of your title but not a change in position. The benefits is alright but compared to other companies, it's not much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to manage, some people see your relaxed attitude and take advantage of it. The favoritism is obvious to everyone and sometimes they are deserved but please learn to value those who are loyal and doing great work as well.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time

ProsLeadership that values the employees.

ConsNot uncommon to be asked to give more time.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Travelers Companies

ProsAdvancement through career; transition into other departments.

ConsI do not have any cons with the company

Wonderful environment for professionals of all ages

I have been working at Travelers Companies as an intern

Proseveryone is extremely kind. HR does a great job of bringing together amicable individuals.
advancement opportunities exist laterally and vertically

Consnot easy to move into actuarial dept

Advice to Senior Managementmore sensitivity with layoffs

It's been a really good company to work for until recently

Auto Appraiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits, solid company with a good reputation, good products, lots of opportunities if your work at a regional office or headquarters

ConsI'm a field employee so no opportunity for advancement, they are currently downsizing the appraisal staff, some decisions appear to be made in the interest of cost savings at the expense of employees and customers

Advice to Senior ManagementHave enough staff to deliver on your promise to the customers, don't try to operate with a super lean staff

Sound company with a healthy work environment

Director (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge organization with good P&C insurance products and sound business practices. Good work environment with employees motivated and working towards a common goal. Employee friendly policies. Strong community relations

ConsSlow to adopt new platforms and technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamlining management structure can save costs for the organization while empowering employees.

Great place to work if you can adapt to the culture

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay and benefits. You start out with 20 vacation days. Most (though not all) managers are supportive of the HR line on work/life balance. Upper management generally seems to make decisions thoughtfully and not change course overly frequently.

ConsVery corporate atmosphere. Any innovation or upgrade will take three times longer than it should, primarily because of an older workforce that doesn't adapt well. Technology is very dated (upgrade to Windows 7 came in 2013, prior to that everyone used XP).

Advice to Senior ManagementManaging to the lowest common denominator leaves your best performers bored and underappreciated.

Out of Touch With Their Employees - Micromanaging Bosses

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Benefits, Decent & Competitive Salaries, Company Does Encourage Lifetime Learning, Time Off Policies Are Fair, Generous Vacation Days, Ample Parking

ConsHigh Turnover, Low Morale, Best Manager in Select Was Laid Off, Don't Listen To Their Employees, Micro-managing is Rampant, Too Many Meetings, Limited Opportunities For Advancement or Bonuses, Leadership Lacking & Unprofessional, Favoritism Displayed by Management and HR Department

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Your Employees With Respect, Actually Listen To Their Feedback

Think long and hard before considering Travelers

Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is recognized along with other major carriers. Benefits are competitive, 401k match and pto are good. Training for entry level adjusters is good.

ConsThere is a huge disconnect between senior level management and the field staff. There is a lot of busy work that provides no benefit to the customer and employees. Initiatives are constantly rolled out that are not thought through and end up getting scrapped after a few years when new management is in place. Micromanagement through numbers to the nth degree. Bonuses are extremely difficult to attain due to unrealistic goals. I have worked with two other insurance companies and was accustomed to bonuses and worked a lot less. Work life balance is non existant. Change takes a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees, create attainable goals, get rid of the busy work and focus on what will move the company forward. An employee survey would be a good start. At the rate things are going i cannot see the company attracting and retaining talent. So many good people have left.

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Travelers Companies CEO Jay S. Fishman. All 564 reviews are posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees.