Travis County, Texas

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Samuel T. Biscoe

Often a life-long career choice

ProsIt's rewarding to make a living serving the public, and those who find the right fit are satisfied working their entire careers at this one employer. Health benefits and vacation time are better than average.

ConsIt takes a long time working hard to get a promotion, because Travis County employees don't often leave for other jobs elsewhere, and new positions are seldom created. Salaries are below what most would make for similar jobs in the private sector in Austin, particularly for skilled positions.

Working for the Man

Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsDepending on which agency you work for, the work can be quite meaningful and the ability to help the community is real. Many staff are committed to the work that they do, and the benefits structure is excellent.

ConsWorking downtown (as most county employees do) can be a hassle with traffic and whatnot. The compensation is generous, but hasn't quite kept up with the cost of living in Austin.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be profoundly helpful if management did a review of the work environment in all workplaces so as to stay on top of issues before they explode.

DA's office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had a flexible schedule that allowed me to go to college full-time. Friendly co-workers, close-knit team environment among staff. Decent benefits, including healthcare.

ConsMy department had a very demanding, difficult supervisor. Not all departments were like this however. Rigid and lots of rules to follow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pleasant and great mangement

Accountant (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsWork-life balance
    Company that value it's employees
    Able to express concerns to management very easily

ConsNot able to move easily unless management retires

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being nice as you were. Ask the commissioner's court for higher salaries.

okay at times

JDO III (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThere is some good people that work and that really care for their fellow employees. That will treat you as part of a family.

Consnever consistent with they way they want to handle things. Thing changes every 2 to 3 months to management benefit but, not to the employees. With the COL rising the pay is not having a major increase. Employees are forced to work overtime and second jobs in order to make it. The employees that's not in upper management continue to struggle paycheck to paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers and stop just saying "We know how you feel". Stop asking the employees, "What can we do to make things better". When in fact you do nothing but at the same time doing things unsafe, and putting you employees health and careers to an end.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Working for Travis County has always been a great experience

Technical Support Troubleshooter (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGreat relationship with employess and good communication

ConsOne particular assignment was not organize

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great training and interacting with employees

Its great !!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGreat work life Balance and Less Pressure.

ConsNo Career Ladder and no bonuses or good performance bnefits.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Government Job

Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGreat benefits. Working with the Governemnt you help others in your community and provide a public service.

ConsThe career development is slow and not much room for promotions.

Stable employment, but not for the upwardly mobile...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsStability, benefits, ample leave and holidays.

ConsLack of opportunity for training and advancement.

Laid-back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsI love the laid-back feel. Of course, different areas offer different working environments, but I was satisfied.

ConsNo one leaves so it's hard to get a permanent position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow a fair hire; don't only grant jobs on the "hook up".

Worked for Travis County, Texas? Contribute to the Community!