TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

speed wins, employees lose

ProsGood benefits, some ability to telecommute

ConsSo much focus is put on making things fast, there's little to no focus on making things good. Quality suffers and employees, especially non-engineers, get micro-managed to the point where the output goals are nearly impossible to achieve. The sales department drives too much of the agenda, and given the valuation of this company, the pay is not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink hard about how important it is to make things fast. Eventually, if the quality continues to suffer, customers won't care. The review system is too easy to manipulate, and better models are beginning to emerge that will make TripAdvisor obsolete.

Amazing place to work!

Content Specialist (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsTons of great benefits, flexible schedule, relaxed work environment. TA is a company that understands the needs of your personal and family life, and is very flexible when situations arise. Exciting to work for a company that is still growing and has so much room to grow.

ConsI honestly can't think of any cons.

Great Work/Life Balance in a "Speed Wins" Environment

Senior Content Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThe work environment is very collaborative and enjoyable. The company truly cares about their employees and offers great benefits. Everyone at this company is incredibly smart and you will learn something new from your peers every day. Things move very fast at TripAdvisor as the company still tries to keep its "start-up like feel" even though it is well beyond that point. Despite the "Speed Wins" Motto, this company promotes a great work-life balance and encourages its employees to travel and have fun.

ConsIf you are looking to grow laterally or switch tracks within the company it can be harder to do than at other companies. They offer classes in other areas to encourage their employees to grow, but in terms of making an actual title/role switch it seems hard to do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The great stuff is fantastic and the not so great stuff is not so great.

Support Function (Former Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsThere are some wonderful people across all the departments; very smart, engaging, passionate about their work. I genuinely looked forward to seeing my co-workers every day. Their benefits are amazing and they do a really great job of staying on top of what the competition is doing in order to attract and keep talent. They feed you great food several times a week and the snack options are free and have everything from fruit to fritos. They are incredibly generous about trying to keep their employees happy with "stuff". The CEO is incredibly generous when it comes to supporting a variety of charitable organizations.

ConsWith the exception of one or two folks, the executive team seems completely uninterested in what the "worker bees" on their teams are doing. I think in the time I was there the exec for my group spoke to me a total of 10 minutes and that was because I approached her. I never saw her walk around and check in with folks -- I recognize they are extremely busy, but how hard is it to take 15 minutes a few times a month to walk around their departments, talk to people and make them feel like having them there makes a difference? The company is not THAT big and if you are still selling yourself as a start-up then you should know the folks on your teams.
    If you want to be promoted WHO you know is far more important than WHAT you know. Being a SME in your field and working hard is great, but it probably won't get you promoted, it will just get you more work.
    I will still refer friends to certain departments or teams, but I would make sure they know the good, the bad and the ugly and let them decide for themselves whether or not they want to pursue a career at Trip.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe exec team needs to put an emphasis on something other than core engineering (or at least place as much emphasis on...) and be more thoughtful and transparent around departmental "re-organizations" that make no business sense and address needless attrition of solid performers.

Good benefits but salary could be more competitive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsYou get a great benefits package, which I never had in my previous jobs.
    Nice modern office
    Fruits and snacks for free, lunch discounts

ConsSalary is very low and changes and decisions are made without thinking and testing them first.
    Sales Agents and Account Executives have to find out on their own (or by customer complain) about changes made to site, prices or CRM messaging.
    Employees are always asked for feedback, but in the end it always goes the other way round and their opinion is not counting at all.
    No internal communication between different departments.
    Management not qualified to lead a multi billion dollar company

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the feedback give by the people on the phone, they speak with the customers and feed back what is really going on, and don't just act and than find out if it works or not.

Fast Pace, Data Driven

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsIf you like to be at company that's winning, TA is a good place for you. The company is very data driven and is both innovating and iterating at a pace that will keep it ahead of competitors for a long time.

Pay is also competitive and there are many benefits and perks.

ConsThe pace is so fast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Hiring can sometimes be slow which puts extra pressure on current employees.

Good company for engineers

Engineer (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsTripAdvisor hiring process is very selective and they hire top-notch engineers from top schools (MIT, Harvard), but TA also has no ass*e policy.
    Very technical environment. The CEO has software background. It's a data driven company.
    Very good perks: Free catered lunches 3 days a week, soda, snacks, pizza, gym on site, Mac laptops. Tech talks every Wednesday.
    Good compensation.
    Flexible hours, could work from home.
    The company promotes from within.

ConsHectic environment, some people put more than 60 hours/week.
    "Speed wins" mantra doesn't always work.
    The communication between the teams could be improved.
    Huge code base and sometimes difficult to maintain.

Great Product but Turnover is a major problem

Human Resources Mgt (Former Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsFree lunches, free food and drinks almost all the time. Young, fast moving culture and a great office space, moving to an even bigger office in the future. Great product, trusted source of travel reviews, company is making money.

ConsTurnover! It seems like most of the groups are being impacted by turnover, a lot of employees have left the company for greener pastures, the performance rating process and raise %'s being very low for a company that is very profitable, seems to be the common thread. The HR team is non-existent, adds no value to the employees or senior management, and has had more turnover than any other group at Trip, even the most senior leader of HR left along with the leader of compensation. Not sure Senior Mgt knows how bad the turnover problem actually is.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a consulting firm to determine the sources for all the turnover, outsource HR until a new team can be built from the ground up. Figure out the retention issue.

It really all depends on the people you work with

ProsGreat flexibility in schedule, good people to work with, great location and the company is making money. Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative.

ConsBeing satisfied really depends on the group you work in. There are some people around the company who have been there a long time and aren't growing with the company and they are not so great to work for. They are more concerned with hiring new great talent from top schools than to cultivate the people they already have. Its extremely hard to move up or to another group if you don't have a champion. It really isn't based on merit but who you know and who likes you. You can fail at something and get promoted. Seems odd.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally disappointed that the CEO just told the world that he still runs a 2000 person company like a start up. There is a reason other companies don't do that. Maybe he should go study business.
    Explore the talent you have in house rather than pursue outside talent. Grow from within because they understand what is going on and will stay loyal.

TripAdvisor Dir of HR responded to this review

Mar 19, 2014

Thanks for your feedback! We agree that we work with amazing people--and that we have a great culture that includes fantastic benefits, flexibility and excellent work locations. Thanks also for your ... More

Dream Job

Web Developer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsExcellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

ConsHarsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!