TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

Not bad, but could do better

Account Manager (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGood perks - healthcare, travel allowances, leisure subsidies and free fruit

ConsChaotic structure, and ongoing disconnect between project management, customer facing teams and the consumers who use their services

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seating development teams and project management teams together so that they can resolve problems on the spot and stop the culture of isolation and prioritisation that ensures that simple issues take months to resolve.

Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Newton, MA (US)

Pros- Free snacks
    - Helpful and friendly people
    - Huge data
    - Learn a lot of tools

Cons- Not many work to do.
    - Lack of motivation.

Never the same day twice; always a new challenge.

Director (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsTA employees are encouraged to get things done; speed wins. Our CEO acknowledges in moving quickly, we'll break s---t, but we'll fix it the next time around and be better for doing so. Everyone is smart, motivated, and wants to help each other. Lots of perks and it's clear that the executive team cares about its employees. Seems like a great place to grow your career, skills and earn a competitive salary doing so.

ConsPoor internal tools and infrastructure to manage so many moving parts. While there are initiatives to improve this, it can be a bit frustrating to get on board and hit the ground running without spending time on things already asked and answered.

Nov 14, 2013

We're proud of our smart, motivated, and helpful employees---and agree that we offer excellent career development to grow your career (with competitive salaries and benefits!) We're also glad that ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy

ProsBenefits, compensation, oh and the company is a rocket ship.

ConsThe company grew faster than its infrastructure so all its supporting systems are unable to scale for the growth it has had/is planning. Management needs to recognize that speed wins can only get you so far and you need to fix the foundation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more people from the outside that have done this in bigger companies.

glad I made the move

Prosgreat leadership, free development classes (including language class), vibrant culture

Conssometimes feel too siloed in own group

Nov 14, 2013

We also love our new Learning and Development options--including the language classes. We have a ton of new classes offered all the time, across the globe. And, we agree that our culture is pretty ... More

Financially rewarding, but not a lot of fun.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company continues to grow and has products that put it ahead of the curve in the travel space. It continues to innovate and diversify it's products and has placed itself in a position to continue to do well.

Compensation and benefits/perks can be very good.

ConsIt can be a very political environment, you need to have relationships with the right people to succeed in the long term. Often management is not concerned with how things are done, just that they get done. This trickles down the chain and employees are often viewed as resources to achieve a goal regardless of the impact to them. In many groups you either sink or swim and if you sink you can get thrown under the bus and can become the scape goat for a unsuccessful project or initiative.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that noted that TripAdvisor is keenly aware of glassdoor reviews and strongly encourages current successful employees (those that just got promoted, had a good experience, etc) to write positive reviews on working at Trip. While there may be nothing technically wrong with this, the approach seems odd for a company based on unbiased reviews.

Dec 05, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We're thrilled that you found TripAdvisor financially rewarding. We're also pleased that you think we build cool products that are ahead of the curve--we think so too! We're ... More

Great place to work- great product, great people and company commitment to careers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsVery smart people. Company commitment to developing employees and their careers. Great product with strong, entrepreneurial leadership. Exciting workplace.

ConsFast moving. Don't come out TripAdvisor if you want a slow moving, relaxed company. The dress code is relaxed- but be prepared to move fast. Speed wins isn't just a motto.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to balance the start-up feel while the size of the company increases. Though more infrastructure will be needed over time, the critical view of bureaucracy makes TripAdvisor unique- and it works.

Work at TripAdvisor

Prossmart and innovative people to work with
    diverse and interesting projects to work on
    Risk taking environment---great opportunities to test new programs/ideas

Conscommute can be difficult
    work/life balance can suffer at times

Advice to Senior ManagementAs evolve, keep the innovative "feel/tone" of a small company

This is a great company!

ProsSpeed and active company, with passion, smart people, always trying to improve itself from different perspective, trying new things, innovative, always trying to treat employee good and right. This is a company with great future

ConsCross-team cooperation needs to be improved. People should have sense for the whole business but not just focus on their own territory or area. Management needs to encourage people to think more broadly

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Nov 06, 2013

Thanks! We think it’s a pretty excellent company, too. Thanks also for your feedback on improving cross-team communication and cooperation. As we continue to grow, it’s something that is very ... More

Family Like Circumstances in TripAdvisor

Recruiter (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Prosquick pace, various attractive employee benefits,support from management team

ConsBranding development in China area

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove brand influence in China.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!