TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros:
  • "benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Work/life balance is encouraged, but employees have a high level of passion about their work, and it never feels like anyone is just there from 9-5"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for....dynamic with a great culture

Brisbane

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros- global company
- expanding rapidly
- young and dynamic
- rewards for results
- charity focused....giving back

ConsNone that I have discovered in my 11 months so far.....hopefully this will continue to be the case!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't let the company become too "corporate" and bureaucratic. This happened at my last employer and killed morale and caused a lot of good people to leave.

Good company for engineers

Engineer (Current Employee)
Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor for more than a year

ProsTripAdvisor hiring process is very selective and they hire top-notch engineers from top schools (MIT, Harvard), but TA also has no ass*e policy.
Very technical environment. The CEO has software background. It's a data driven company.
Very good perks: Free catered lunches 3 days a week, soda, snacks, pizza, gym on site, Mac laptops. Tech talks every Wednesday.
Good compensation.
Flexible hours, could work from home.
The company promotes from within.

ConsHectic environment, some people put more than 60 hours/week.
"Speed wins" mantra doesn't always work.
The communication between the teams could be improved.
Huge code base and sometimes difficult to maintain.

It really all depends on the people you work with

I have been working at TripAdvisor

ProsGreat flexibility in schedule, good people to work with, great location and the company is making money. Benefits are good, some groups work well and are collaborative.

ConsBeing satisfied really depends on the group you work in. There are some people around the company who have been there a long time and aren't growing with the company and they are not so great to work for. They are more concerned with hiring new great talent from top schools than to cultivate the people they already have. Its extremely hard to move up or to another group if you don't have a champion. It really isn't based on merit but who you know and who likes you. You can fail at something and get promoted. Seems odd.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally disappointed that the CEO just told the world that he still runs a 2000 person company like a start up. There is a reason other companies don't do that. Maybe he should go study business.
Explore the talent you have in house rather than pursue outside talent. Grow from within because they understand what is going on and will stay loyal.

Mar 19, 2014

Thanks for your feedback! We agree that we work with amazing people--and that we have a great culture that includes fantastic benefits, flexibility and excellent work locations. Thanks also for your ... More

Dream Job

Web Developer (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

ProsExcellent team dynamics, exemplary management, free lunches, great location, flexible schedule, good family vs work balance, very high overall employee skill level, great mentorship, and last but not least, the company raison-d'etre is awesome.

ConsHarsh technical interviews, not in line with daily tasks & environment. Salary is good, but not great given the expected skill level & throughput

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great.

Innovative and fun environment!

Brand Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInnovative, social, foster teamwork. If you ask, you will receive...maybe not immediately but in time.

ConsLike I said, it takes time for ideas/projects to get approval. Little support from management so it can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities to move up within the company, or even to explore other departments.

High growth company

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros-Great benefits
-Solid work/life balance
-Good salary/bonus/stock
-Free lunch and other perks

Cons-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc)
-Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

Good atmosphere, smart people

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros- My team, and the people who manage my team, are really driven and focused. This makes work very interesting. We are encouraged to bring crazy ideas to the table and are given the go-ahead to work on these ideas.

- Work culture: Free lunches, team bonding events, casual, free beer, your co-workers can be your friends

- Data driven

- Engineers and non-engineers are given equal prominence (at least on my team)

Cons- Your managers greatly influence your experience at TripAdvisor. I am really lucky to have good managers but a lot of my other co-workers aren't

- Salary: Could be better :)

Ruthless Corporate America

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

ProsCompensation is good and the stock is on a tear. Good place to work if money is the motivation.

ConsWork is not really interesting. You will work on a lot of one week tweak projects. Competitive culture. But also a culture of fear codified by a speed wins mantra. Management is cold and ruthless. Classic corporate America. The company will do well because of its ruthless attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementCouple of token social projects will not really hide the kind of company you really are.

Mar 24, 2014

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that your time at TripAdvisor wasn't what you hoped it would be. We've noted your feedback on our projects and culture. Whether small or big, we believe that ... More

Super corporate atmosphere run at the top by power hungry close minded individuals

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe common people at the company

Consupper management is pretty awful and only getting worse since they have globalized

Advice to Senior Managementencourage ideas and remember what got you there

Mar 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback--we're sorry that your experience at TripAdvisor isn't currently what you want it to be. Your feedback is very useful as we continue to focus on growing our culture and ... More

Quickly evolving company

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of smart people and perks

ConsSalaries for non-engineers are no longer competitive

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor Videos

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All 161 reviews are posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.