TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 21 September 2014
3.8

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for....dynamic with a great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brisbane
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

- global company
    - expanding rapidly
    - young and dynamic
    - rewards for results
    - charity focused....giving back

Cons

None that I have discovered in my 11 months so far.....hopefully this will continue to be the case!

Please don't let the company become too "corporate" and bureaucratic. This happened at my last employer and killed morale and caused a lot of good people to leave.

SIMPLY GREAT!!!

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best professional experience of my life ... A good company where is possible to grow, learn, teach and exchange ideas

Cons

I left a good company for nothing

Too bad the US senior managers seem to don't understand that business cannot be handled everywhere as in the US. Please, please, please for the future, keep in mind cultural differences, language barriers and economic situation in each country before setting targets to be reached

Great group of people!

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great team dynamics and fun office culture. Learned a lot from people throughout the company, not just those on my team. And the pay was really good! You get a lot of independence both as a team and within your teams to work on your own project and really make a big live-site impact.

Cons

some antiquated tools and code holds development of new features back. they made great strides in improving systems like code review and others during my time there, but still room for improvement. for some another con might be the suburban, rather than city location, but i found this made the commute more pleasant (with parking being so easy).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very satisfying

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Pennington, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pennington, NJ (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

FANTASTIC work environment, beautiful new office, excellent managers, summer Friday program, benefits galore. Best practices tend to be followed on a day-to-day basis, and it is clear that everyone cares about the product we're putting out. Professional development is stressed through the company's Compass program. I was able to complete CISSP training for free, and I'm currently learning new programming languages in addition to Russian.

Cons

The Cruise Critic brand is located in Pennington, NJ which is just about the midpoint between New York and Philadelphia. Because of the location it is difficult to fill Software Engineer positions, as many people are not willing to travel so far to get to work.

It might be a good idea to move the tech department of Cruise Critic closer to New York (or Philadelphia) in order to expand the talent pool.

Nice company to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere but the job it self can be very stressful and makes you to go for different opportunity.Nice people, good social life.

Cons

High level of stress, lack of written procedures.I won't advise to a friend

In this place opportunities are for everyone, so sometimes management can be very young and without experience

Great place to work!

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Good work life balance. Very smart people to work with. Very fast paced environment.

Cons

Be prepared to move really fast.

Great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits including free healthcare, gym reimbursement, shuttles from Central and Kendall Square, free snacks, and much more

Cons

Not many, but some might pop up with the continued rapid expansion of the company. So far, so good with work-life balance.

Keep up the good work!

Treats people really well, limited opportunities for promotion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great place to work, as it's a culture that cares if you get your work done, but lets you have a good time while doing it. Camaraderie is great within teams, and collaboration between teams is getting better. Very flexible for work/life balance.

Cons

Not a ton of opportunities for growth, communication between teams could use improvement

Treats their acquisitions like dirt!

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Company benefits are way above others. Very generous! Good job!

Cons

As a newly acquired employee, they have treated us like second class citizens, talking down to us, and come across completely uncoordinated in their approach toward acquisitions.

A cast of thousands all doing their own thing with no communication and coordination amongst each other.

Figure out your acquisition strategy and figure it out.

No a good career move

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch, unlimited free snacks, great italian coffee machines all over the bldg and refrigerators stocked with every drink imaginable

Cons

There is no flow of information, no transparency and if you are not at the top of the food chain of management it's as if you don't exist

Read these reviews and listen to what people are saying. You can only stay arrogant for so long before the way you treat people catches up with you.

Have a conscience

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!