TripAdvisor

Updated 17 December 2014
3.5

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

If you are a fee earner its fantastic. If you are a support function its terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Fee earners are paid fantastically, with plenty of promotion opportunities.
    Office environment is fun and casual
    The benefits are brilliant
    Great level of autonomy in many roles

Cons

Poor salaries for support staff
    Poor promotion for support staff
    The Newton office (Head office) are treated like an ivory tower

start to appreciate support staff who are the unsung hero's of your business

Great business, 'OK' Engineering culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many promotion and raise opportunities if you do great work. Many smart people to learn from.

Product is getting better and better. Business is doing very well. You will learn many interesting things about running a large website.

Company favors incremental changes with metrics and emphasizes speed to market.

Cons

Nearly impossible to do an overhaul of a major page or a component, because it's so metrics driven. But it does happen sometimes, if the person pitching the idea is persuasive enough.

Related to the previous point, it's hard for designers and engineers to innovate and get company to invest on various ideas so they keep those to themselves. This is reflected by low hackweek participation rate and low activities in open source community and local tech events.

Has so much potential but really needs to slap some wrists in upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Cons

I agree with previous posts that poor performers are promoted due to "friendships" with management. Advancement is not based upon performance, it is based upon who you suck up to. HR is incompetent. When you reach out with an issue or a harassment case, they do everything in their power to sweep it under the rug rather than handle the situation. Those employees who do harass others are only reprimanded if they are not apart of management. If they are, forget it, everyone turns their head the other way. 360 reviews were supposed to be in effect for the past 2 years but still has not been enforced. Hoping that action would be taken if there was negative feedback. LOTS OF POLITICS

Talk to your employees! The little people, the ones putting in all the work. They have concerns and comments. Take action when something isn't right. Have an open door policy for concerns so employees have a place to go when HR won't help. When more than 8 people quit because of one manager, I would start to look at the manager and not the employees.

Oct 09, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We take all allegations of harassment very seriously. We endeavor to respond quickly to ensure a swift resolution and communication of the outcome. Since Steve started ... More

Nice company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, they are simple amazing! Very nice office.

Cons

Not carrer oportunities in another countries. All Europe, middle East and Africa is done from Oxford and London offices.

Great fun at the Singapore office.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

For the most part, great colleagues regardless of rankings who are willing to answer your queries at any time. Awesome get-togethers organized by the young and vibrant recreational committee. Great benefits too.

Cons

Salary stays stagnant with very minimal (emphasize minimal) increments and no bonus. Make sure you're getting a very good basic salary! Not all management are gusto and on-the-go. Some are hibernating and know nothing but take credit for solutions their team minions come up with. Different employees feel differently about their respective team and managers so it really depends on which team you're in.

Great place to work if you're an engineer

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance. Smart co-workers. Can't say enough things about how awesome the engineering group is, I really loved them and would encourage any engineer to strongly consider working there.

Cons

If you're an engineer then your skills will speak for themselves and you'll be fine, but if your area of expertise is non-engineering, then company politics get in the way. Maybe every tech company is like that?

For non-engineering departments, consider peer reviews. In the case of recruiting, consider reviews by the hiring managers who interact with the recruiter.

Large organization that still can move fast

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great benefits, good people, fun industry

Cons

They hire big managers from large outside firms who come in and shoot first then ask questions later.

To the new guys - learn the system. It will benefit you well. To the rest - there is a lot of knowledge from within. Sometimes bottom up planning works well too. Engage with lower levels

product manager assistant/editor/product context designer

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Love traveling. Get the first-hand info of traveling tips.

Cons

Not challenging enough. Depend on the position.

Perk up.

speed wins, employees lose

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some ability to telecommute

Cons

So much focus is put on making things fast, there's little to no focus on making things good. Quality suffers and employees, especially non-engineers, get micro-managed to the point where the output goals are nearly impossible to achieve. The sales department drives too much of the agenda, and given the valuation of this company, the pay is not great.

Think hard about how important it is to make things fast. Eventually, if the quality continues to suffer, customers won't care. The review system is too easy to manipulate, and better models are beginning to emerge that will make TripAdvisor obsolete.

Oct 09, 2014Director of HR

Thanks for your review. You bring up an interesting point: As we continue to grow, we are maintaining our focus on speeds but stress that we need to do that without sacrificing quality or metrics for ... More

Not as good as it used to be

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with really smart people. Benefits are fantastic and the company really supports charities.

Cons

Your time at TripAdvisor really depends upon which department you are in, we are continuously told that we are an engineering and product company which doesn’t do much for morale if you’re not in one of those teams.
    Employees who joined the company a few years back are being left behind when it comes to salary increases and career development.
    We talk a lot about risk taking, but this doesn’t really apply when it comes to recruitment as senior roles are often open a long time and employees take advantage of the situation.

Start valuing employees outside engineering and product, its not just them that make the company successful.
    The Exec Team need to be more visible and communicative rather than assume they know what’s going on.
    Stop saying we’re a small company that just happens to have a lot of people – we're neither.

Oct 09, 2014Director of HR

I agree—TripAdvisor is filled with smart people---and not just in engineering and product management. While Product and Engineering are important for our success, there’s so many other teams that are ... More