TxDOT

www.dot.state.tx.us

TxDOT Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
TxDOT – Austin – “Learning to inspect bridge decks”

TxDOT – Austin – “Learning to inspect bridge decks”

Engineering Tech V Summer Hire

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat retirement, and health benefits.

ConsNo cons to working for the state.

Overall a good company

Construction Inspector (Current Employee) Denton, TX (US)

ProsGood retire benefits and opportunities to move up

Conssalary is not very high

Deckhand/AB Galveston Ferry

Able Bodied Seaman (Current Employee) Galveston, TX (US)

ProsHome every night, enjoy my job

Conswe do not get paid industry standard wages

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

welder

Welder (Current Employee) El Paso, TX (US)

Proshours holidays insurance own office partys

Conspoor pay bad superviser too many rules

Advice to Senior Managementgrow up

Every other opportunity is better.

IT (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

Pros* reasonable work hours; almost always 40, unless you want to do more.

Cons* below market salary rates
    * lack of mentoring / direction for new employees
    * lots of arbitrary deadlines
    * culture of poor communication. employees on the ground have little chance of knowing what's actually going on.
    * lots of administrative overhead (detailed timesheets, status reports, a fair number of unnecessary meetings)
    * large bureaucracy makes it difficult to get things done
    * management never makes changes in response to feedback

Advice to Senior ManagementBasically, you have no trust or respect from the employees whatsoever. Management only appears to be interested in cost-cutting and outsourcing, and is destroying the organizational culture. Employees in the halls talk openly about when they're "getting out." Without exaggeration, I can say that this is the worst management I've ever seen, and they could hardly do worse if they were trying.

Not so great.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsPeople are great and friendly.

ConsManagement can be a bit overwhelming with unrealistic deadlines. Lack of opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease place realistic deadlines for huge projects.

Office manager 24 yrs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, hours,location, employees,holidays, vacation, sick leave

Conspolitical, buddy system, no team work,

The key is to keep moving and connected.

ProsAlways something new to learn...there is no bottom of this pool and the edges are far away. You'll need a buddy system just to tread water in these rough waters.

ConsMoving into the 21st Century...eventually. A little late for me, but they're finally making progress, now that an armada of auditor's and study after study, it's becoming clear where their real problems lie.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose 600+ recommendations from Grant Thorton was pretty clear. Please keep the focus. Many are counting on you.

Long term potential if you aren't interested in much advancement or money, unless you are a civil engineer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsLots of time off potential, especially since they don't pay overtime, and instead earn comp time. If you get fired then you did something completely stupid and unethical because nobody loses their job. Close knit working environment and friendly people. Great place to get career experience to move on elsewhere. Even though the pay is bad, the benefits are pretty good.

ConsThe pay. If you are not a CIVIL engineer it's pretty much a dead end place to work. Even for non-engineering positions TxDOT tends to hire engineers for. Upper administration makes decent money but regular employees don't. Management doesn't allow much decision making from regular employees and discourages it. The only potential to become a manager is if someone dies or retires. You are an enemy of the public and the media.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees some decision making ability which encourages ingenuity. Something needs to be done about the pay because those benefits that you use to retain people are getting more and more expensive but the pay isn't going up to help.

Learned a lot due to working on the field

Engineering Tech I (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsI learned stuff that I couldn't learn through textbooks, such as the different machinery that goes into placing concrete, etc.

ConsBeing outside for 9 hours a day in the heat of Austin definitely wore me out

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!