UCLA Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
3.8

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • work life balance is good with flexible options available (in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to balance teaching and course load at the same time, especially as a graduate student (in 12 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

UCLA Rocks.

Former Employee - Student Affairs Officer  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Student Affairs Officer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really depends on which department you end up working for. The one I was at was a relaxed/flexible environment with friendly and supportive coworkers. Work-life balance was great -- rarely had to stay long hours. Benefits were awesome! A great place to start your first job or work for as a career. Being at UCLA is always exciting because change is always happening.

Cons

Working for a huge public entity means you are subjected to the whims of $$ coming from up top. I've seen positions cut or consolidated. Pay grades/promotions is rather strict, but at least you know what you are getting yourself into.

Anything at UCLA is always upholds the Bruin values of service and excellence.

Former Employee - Resident Assistant  in  Westwood Village, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Westwood Village, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part is you're working with motivated people who want to achieve very high goals and this helps feel you focused and determined to go well in your job and in the future.

Cons

It can seem overwhelming being around so many good looking Bruins and so many smart people. But come on. Is that really a con?

Nothing really.

Staff Research Associate II

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate II
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate II

I have been working at UCLA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and working environment are excellent

Cons

Limited upward mobility in certain positions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent research opportunity

Current Employee - GSR  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - GSR in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UCLA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get to work on cutting edge engineering research that has a direct impact on practical applications. Advisers /PIs have a wealth of knowledge to help guide graduates in the right direction.

Cons

Part time pay is not a lot, but it definitely helps pay the bills (& university fees). Deadlines can drive up the amount of time actually spent to complete projects

Good place to gain experience.

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great exposure to the best scientists in the wold. Access to state of the art core facilities. Extremely reasonable benefits. If you are going to do a post-doc somewhere this is the place to do it.

Cons

Cost of living in the area is high. Commuting to the area is difficult and parking can be expensive. Probably the biggest con is you are forced to join the union which deducts significant dues and does absolutely nothing for you.

Get rid of the mandatory membership in the PROUAW union.

A little boring, but pleasant.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kevin is really nice and funny, will definitely strike up interesting conversations with you. He's also really flexible when finals rolls around. I never found scheduling to be a problem.

Cons

The radio was always playing, and I was never a fan of the station that it was playing so when I was having a bad day the music would irk me. But that's really about it.

Beautiful campus with beautiful people

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This university is a learning and play park with the best facilities in America.

Cons

The two biggest challenges are parking and finding housing that is nearby and affordable.

Build lots of cheap housing nearby.

Developing software for campus websites

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Very flexible work hours, can participate in many programming projects depending on which department you specifically work for. Decent pay for student job (11$/hour) and opportunities to work closely with individual professors and staff who want IT services.

Cons

Some people can be more demanding to work with, but this is rarely any issue with this. I found very little to complain about (other than the lower pay).

Fantastic people, rewarding work

Former Employee - Programming Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Programming Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at UCLA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone in International Education (in my experience) is so friendly and welcoming and the Dashew Center team is no exception. Such a great group of people to spend time with in and out of work. Office intramural sports teams, a running lottery pool, monthly birthday potlucks, and people bringing in tasty things to the office all the time...plus everyone volunteers a various events for the international students, which livens up the office. Working with international students is so rewarding, and the Dashew Center has a great relationship with UCLA and the international student and scholar community there.

Cons

I worked in the programming department, which I have no complaints about. Also I was a student worker so I can't speak to the full-time salaries, although from what I heard they hovered around 40k a year, pretty modest. In the J-1 and F-1 visa departments I'm sure the work is more monotonous, as it's working with paperwork and bureaucracy. The programming department does all the fun events and activities with the international students.

UCLA is a great place to hook with

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

It is a great city to live in.

Cons

There are so many distractions.

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!