USAA

USAA Reviews

Updated 15 December 2014
Updated 15 December 2014
3.6

USAA President and CEO Joe Robles Jr.
Joe Robles Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits and a wide variety of possibilities with such a large company (in 157 reviews)

• good work life balance if you have a good/flexible manager/ good pay (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center environment so you're at your desk taking phone calls the entire shift (in 102 reviews)

• There is NO work/life balance as they would like others to believe (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company for its members. Great mission

Current Employee - Financial Advisor III
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor III

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work life balance. Good amount of vacation available. Good benefits available. Members are very receptive to advice and easy to implement action plans.

Cons

Expect transfers for advice on everything from debt management, mortgages, credit repair to retirement planning. All departments refer to us when they don't have the answer or just don't want to be the bearer of bad news.

Reevaluate the guidelines for department referrals to increase referral quality. Most members that are bad referrals are irritated by the time they talk to advisors. Not saying all are bad I have had some really good ones. Just looking for quality increase.

Great Internship!

Former Employee - Digital Channels in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Channels in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at USAA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The interns are treated very well at USAA. We are given mentors and managers who genuinely care about our success. I learned a lot while interning at USAA and I was able to see how a huge company works in every department. The San Antonio office is very big with many employees and the company works hard for its members. Everyone is very friendly to interns and are willing to help in any way they can. You get put on projects that are actually in development so you get to work with multiple teams.

Cons

Sometimes a project can take longer than necessary because different teams don't take the time to get together and talk about what has already been implemented and the steps to moving forward.

USAA - Treated me right from day one!

Current Employee - Network Engineer III in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Network Engineer III in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, benefits and more benefits! Several on-site gyms, cafeterias, starbucks and company stores. Has its own medical care, pharmacy, and security. Flexible work schedules and work from home options. Education expenses for college classes or certifications. Dress code is anything from suite and tie to most recently shorts and a nice polo.

Cons

Quite a big learning curve when it come to culture. College hires are seen as just that, even though you may have worked several jobs before.

In the military fraternization is a punishable violation of the UCMJ and reduction in rank/pay. Promote those who are deserving of the promotion. Not those whom you may have become friends with. How do you know when you promoted the wrong person...when everyone else on the team gives you a deer in the headlights look and turns to the person next to them and starts whispering.

Great benefits and wonderful work environment!

I have been working at USAA

Pros

The benefits include good medical coverage and retirement plan that the company matches. The bonus includes an extra retirement bonus. Built for long-term employment and satisfaction.

Cons

Start with a lower that expected salary, but it will pick-up in the first few years. Time in position is important for promotions. This is not a company you can rise quickly, but one can move-up at a moderate pace.

Excellent Company

I worked at USAA

Pros

plenty of activities for interns

Cons

Too many meetings. Didn't have much time to work on project

Easily one of the best companies to work for if you've been in the industry any amount of time.

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding Customer Focus
    Ethical in all that they do
    Great benefits 8% 401k Match
    Annual Performance Bonus
    Annual Holiday Bonus
    Generous time off (additional days often given around the Holidays)
    Unmatched employee appreciation and recognition in the industry
    Honorable Mission
    Outstanding leadership

Cons

Very discerning customers both internal and external. The companies motto is serving those who serve and they take it very seriously. There is a lot expected of each and every employee at USAA both from peers and management, and the members that we serve. USAA can be a tough place to work for someone who simply wants to go through the motions and coast, and I think that's exactly the way it should be.

Gen. Robles has been an excellent leader. While I hate to see him go, I do understand that this transition is a natural part of the process. I have every confidence that the CEO-Elect will rise to tasks before him and be just as stellar of a leader as Gen. Robles was.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Specialized Investment Services Representative II in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Total compensation, Worklife balance, awesome 401(k) with Roth option, the lowest fees I've ever seen & huge match & bonusessss!!!

Cons

Punctuality. This is a very regimented place to work. You must be there ready to work for the full time you're there except for the 35 minute lunch break, & two 20 minute breaks (enough time for two Ping pong matches)

Change Humana PCA to HSA

Great Company to start with

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Its all about mentoring and networking. Everyone is so friendly. You can take care of all that you need to without leaving the facility.

Cons

I wish the pay was higher. Compared to other companies the pay is low.

N/A

Great internship

Former Employee - Underwriting Intern in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Underwriting Intern in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at USAA

Pros

Treated just like any other employee not like an intern
    Great benefits package
    Work-life balance is important as well as personal nutrition and exercise

Cons

Very limited opportunities post-internship
    Very few entry-level positions

Provide a clear path for interns to pursue a career at USAA

Good

I have been working at USAA

Pros

so far everything seems great, friendly people. the hours are awesome and love the company values military and veterans.

Cons

so far I have no cons.

No advice.