Uber

Updated 16 December 2014
Updated 16 December 2014
3.5

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Uber brings in a culture that allows for innovation and fast paced development (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours though you will hardly notice as the work is very exciting (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

General Manager

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Work with amazing people all over the world, tons of autonomy. Be part of one of the fastest growing companies in history. ~250 cities in just over 4 years!!

Cons

We do work very hard. Every person you meet will want to talk about Uber!

Keep the standard of employees super high!

Get in the thick of an international growth startup

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of freedom; especially for the newer, international cities. Having come from a startup background I've had no trouble adjusting, just the right amount of oversight and high level goals combined with support from someone who has done it before. The pace of growth - this company grows month-on-month what most established companies do in a year. You'll learn how to scale first-hand
    Super transparent. You can see everything. As a data-nerd this is amazing. The data is the single best reason for working at Uber.
    Culture is awesome (for someone who's never done the whole silicon valley thing before, that's the experience you get). You are working with world-class talent. I've met a couple hundred people here, not one of them is a person I would not want to work with. People are passionate, smart and focused. Uber will make you a more capable employee, better entrepreneur and impart that ability to get the right sh*t done so no matter what you do or where you go next, you will be able to do it better.

Cons

Can be tough for detail oriented individuals. I'm borderline OCD (self-diagnosed!) and the engineer in me twitches every time I do the time-saved vs. time-taken trade-off in terms of "Do I write a script to automate this?" or "Do I set up auto-calculate in this sheet". Things are changing and scaling so rapidly that you'll need to be flexible on level of detail and really firm on making sure you use time as efficiently as possible
    Time (again for the internationals); you will never have enough of it. For the international operational roles Uber is still very much in expansion mode and it will consume all of your waking hours. Expect to work... a lot. But for the right candidate this won't be a problem.
    That goes for compensation as well. This isn't an amazing compensation package for the amount of work you do. If your sole metric is $ then this probably isn't the right role. If you want something engaging, consuming, amazing, frenetic and passionate then this is the job for you.

Transparency, culture and communication is 5* right now and I'm confident that Uber is up to the challenge of maintaining that as the organisation grows.

Live it! (and little else...)

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Constantly moving, growing and changing. You will have the opportunity to dream big and make things happen at a fast pace and see results almost instantly. You are a part of a company making a global impact and shifting history in a big way, you're surrounded by brilliant minds, and you get to embrace and celebrate the city you're in by working with amazing people and influencers, large brands and events. Your team will become your family as you all work towards the same goals.

Cons

Work life balance? If you're not prepared to throw your EVERYTHING in to your role this company isn't for you.

Marketing Manager

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Entrepreneurial, doing amazing things you are proud of, reputation, cohort / network of great people around the world.

Cons

If work life balance is your thing, then Uber is not for you.

Review of Uber

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Flexibility easy to start, easy to quit!

Cons

Review Uber

Before people in Uber tempt you to drive for Uber and earn 30$/hour easily, let me tell you some points which Uber wont tell you!

Is Uber safe for driver?

Unfortunately no! if someone hurts you are kiils you while driving for Uber the only thing you can do is to mail uber and they will block the person if he does it twice! Remember to lodge a complaint you have to be alive

Also, as you are a contractor, not an employee of Uber, so you are not insured while driving, so your loved ones wont get any compensation.

Is your Car safe?

No! as you are driving more and more that too mainly in the city, you have more chances of getting your car damaged, your insurance will cover the cost of damage, but we all know how much does insurance premium increase if we make a claim.

Is your license safe?

Of course Not!

One driver lost 6 points of his license and 600$ fine as 3 of his passengers were not wearing seat belts!

As you are driving a private car, driver is responsible for the passenger's seat belts.

Also, you cant stop at bus stops or use taxi-bus lanes as you are not driving a cab. If somebody makes you to stop at bust stop you have to pay a heavy fine. Then there are crazy people who push you to go faster than speed limits and jump Trafic lights because they are in hurry, all these will lead you to use Uber as a rider in few months!

Is it really 30$/Hr

No that is not true!

When Uber says 30$/Hr they mean 30$/Hr in total, from which they will deduct their 20% and refund some people if Uber thinks you had not used the efficient route. Then you have to pay for your fuel, tool,car maintenance, water for passengers etc what will be left in your hand in 10-15$/Hr.

So you will earn 10-15$/Hr at the risk of your life, car, license.

Really Unique Company/Growing Pains/Loving it

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Smartest people. Hard workers. Immensely passionate group. Fun people. Growing like crazy. Believes in its cause. Get to watch a company transition to scale. Young.

Cons

If work life balance is super important to you...might not be the best role. Ironing out some transitions to scale. Salaries aren't high but options are the attraction for most. Could use more executive level management. Sometimes push people a little hard (though i love this too).

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Pretty good, work at home gig

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home, fun company, flexible scheduling and managers.

Cons

Burned out pretty fast. I have a feeling they will be outsourcing these positions soon. So much changes so fast it can be hard to keep up.

Great Company doing Great Things!

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazingly flat feeling to the hierarchical structure where every employees opinion is valued and voice can be heard. There is a great sense of transparency coming from the top down. The sense of mission and desire to create a high value product, both for our riders and our partners is tangible everyday and the commitment is shown in the quality of people that are hired each and every day. Benefits are particularly good and the office culture is second to none.

Cons

Long hours, but the reality is everyone here works long and hard because they want to and there is a real purpose to the job. If working long hours towards a mission isn't appealing, this is not the job for you.

I think for a company that is rapidly growing management has done an excellent job of creating a culture of mentorship, and maintaining the feel of a small start up.

Working at Uber has been like nothing I've ever experienced

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber

Pros

I like to say working at Uber is great because of the four Ps.

P - Product
    P - People
    P - Process
    P - Problems

Product:
    Our product is something that I use every single day. I've worked at various companies in both the B2B and B2C sector and I've never cared about a product as much as I do Uber. Getting around a city (both where I live and where I travel) was always a pain before Uber. Now when I leave my house I don't have to worry about how I'm going to get there because the answer is Uber.

People:
    The people that I work with are amazing. They come from all walks of life and each person has a different background . People here have individually accomplished so much and have worked so many places in their past that there is always something to learn. Scaling AWS at Amazon, building the infrastructure of Yelp, and building Amazon's product in the early days are just a few of the amazing accomplishments that my co-workers have achieved.

Process:
    Get stuff done and Uber will provide you the tools and resources to do that.

Need a vacation? Take one.
    Need a light at your desk? Here's one.
    Want to work across the country at one of our offices? Go.
    Want to work from home in the mornings? Do it.

What matters is that you get stuff done.

Cons

Uber moves fast and we have to because we live and work in an ever changing world of regulation, culture, supply, demand, and on and on.

Working at Uber isn't for everyone. Everyone at Uber is dedicated to the company and each person does what it takes to make Uber a success.

Does that mean you work till midnight every night or the weekends? Sometimes. Is that a weekly thing? No, it's rare but it will happen.

Does that mean you'll get woken up at 3AM to take care of a critical issue that's happening during the day across the world? Sometimes. Is that a daily thing? No, it's rare but it will happen.

But to me, none of it matters because Uber is a company, product, and vision that I care about and am dedicated to.

Show the world what we're like internally and how we're not like what the media portrays.

Don't let our internal culture of transparency across the business fade away as we get larger.

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo