Uber Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
Updated 29 October 2014
2.9

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • The work/life balance is challenging, but people have fun and have a sense of humor (in 5 reviews)

• Work with smart people in a challenging, fast paced, and fun environment - working here is life changing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I Don't Like The Rating System Cause i Cant Tell what people have rated me (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Really Unique Company/Growing Pains/Loving it

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Smartest people. Hard workers. Immensely passionate group. Fun people. Growing like crazy. Believes in its cause. Get to watch a company transition to scale. Young.

Cons

If work life balance is super important to you...might not be the best role. Ironing out some transitions to scale. Salaries aren't high but options are the attraction for most. Could use more executive level management. Sometimes push people a little hard (though i love this too).

Flexibility is Good

Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really like the flexibility Uber offers. I also work a FT job, but the fact there are fares 24 hours a day makes this a good gig for PT work. What I have found to work for the best "bank for the buck" is getting online by 5am & trolling south (I live in Buford) on P-Tree Ind or 141, there are many fares heading to the airport at that time. Overall it's a very nice PT gig. I have met many "interesting" people, I could write a book.

Cons

I have to usually drive ITP during evenings to get fares (35+ miles).
    In the late nights - early mornings - there are almost as many cancellations as fares. I have even called the customer to verify they indeed need a ride & have been told yes.. I have driven as far as 18-20 miles (when working very late you might be the only driver out, or so it seems) only to be cancelled upon arrival. Uber might or might not compensate me for that. & if they do, it's $6. - of which I receive $4.80.
    The GPS leaves much to be desired on many nights, so I call the customer to verify their location. If it's very early in the morning (like runs to the airport) the customer have gotten PO'ed as they do not want to wake their family. If it's the drunks you are taking home, sometimes they have no clue where they are & I am driving in circles trying to find them.

The $1 deduction for every fare can be a big hit, especially for a fare under $10, because there's also the 20% fee.
    I do not get satisfaction from many emails to partners.uber.com. They are condescending & there's no 'voice' to speak with when there's a major concern. Many times they do not answer the question at hand, they give a "standard" reply that has nothing to do with the question emailed to them.

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Great, Fast-Growing Company

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Smart people
    - Fast pace
    - Great leadership
    - Awesome benefits
    - Tightly knit teams/company

Working for a company that is driven by a vision that every employee shares makes working a pleasure. People here work hard and are great at getting things done. It also helps that we all use our application multiple times a week so we understand the product that we're building.

Cons

- As a company that is growing exponentially (global reach and it's personnel), we're constantly faced with new challenges in scaling people and processes, and although handling growing pains is well executed, it requires constant communication that sometimes isn't perfectly executed.
    - You'll get pushed to work hard and get a lot done. If you can't keep up with the work, it will impact your work-life balance.

Keep on doing a great job at keeping the culture as the company grows.

Growth growth and more growth..

Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible team culture. Opportunity to work on a vast number of initiatives. The best idea always wins, and it doesn't matter who's idea it is.

Definitely a work hard, play hard environment.

Cons

No big cons. It's an intense environment so be ready to work hard.

New-grad Software Engineer, loving the impact & responsibility

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a new grad, I am given the opportunity to learn a ton and work on cool things that impact user's and other employees throughout the company. I feel like my work does have an impact on the company as a whole. I never have felt like I have been treated like a "junior" engineer.

The culture at Uber is pretty awesome. It's very social, we have kegs in the office, and there are quite a few social events, so it's pretty fun.

Cons

Since you work on things that matter, when you break something, you have to fix it. Not really a big problem, as I believe engineers should be responsible for fixing things the break, but I've had to kill a few Saturdays fixing a mistake I made on Friday.

Work hard to keep the culture startup-like as we continue to grow like crazy

Once in a decade opportunity

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Passion-filled, fast-moving, highly resourced, meritocratic, tremendous growth, independence highly valued

Cons

Must be fierce, lots of ambiguity, constantly changing

Uber is the best job I have ever had!

Current Employee - Android Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Android Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging work environment. Opportunity to work on big things which are changing cites and the way of life of millions of people.

Cons

If you're not into fast-paced, challenging work environments this might not be the place for you. The talent bar is very high and so are expectations.

I am doing the best work of my life at Uber.

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Probably the best thing about working at Uber is the quality of my co-workers. Easily the best management team I have ever had the pleasure of working for. Another pro for me is due to the pace & growth of our company I am learning so much more than if I worked at a company that has plateaued. Daily challenges present themselves that are highly rewarding when you tackle them.

Cons

You will work hard here, but you won't be alone at least.

None right now.

Making a huge impact

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Making a large impact on engineering
    - Company is growing fast, lots of challenges
    - Modern stack in Python and NodeJS, uses Storm, Kafka and Spark
    - 8 hour work schedule, extra hours sometimes depending on yourself and your schedule
    - Equity compensation with much larger value that what I could get at Facebook/Google/LinkedIn, and huge upside potential
    - 400 Uber credits per month

Cons

Really nothing to complain .

Hiring bar is high, but we need more training for the interviewers. A unified interviewing process would be better and keep the experience consistent.