Uber

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travis Kalanick

Really Unique Company/Growing Pains/Loving it

ProsSmartest people. Hard workers. Immensely passionate group. Fun people. Growing like crazy. Believes in its cause. Get to watch a company transition to scale. Young.

ConsIf work life balance is super important to you...might not be the best role. Ironing out some transitions to scale. Salaries aren't high but options are the attraction for most. Could use more executive level management. Sometimes push people a little hard (though i love this too).

It's not what you think, but it's fun and you will make some money.

Partner/Driver Uberx (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM (US)

ProsYou get to work when you want for as long as you want.
    You get paid every Thursday by direct deposit.
    You get to see how much you made as soon as the Trip is over.
    It is a young company so you may have room to grow.
    No interview what so ever. Only background checks.
    Seems like they try to come out with something new on the app every week so it's only going to get better.
    It's easy you can do it. you just need a newer model car and good driving record.

ConsRating system allows for abuse. People who work for taxis will take a ride then give low ball rating. That will get you fired.
    There is no support number what so ever. Don't expect to ever talk to a live person that works for uber.
    Customers will have a unpleasant experience due to things out of your control.
    They say you are not a employee of uber, but expect you to follow rules like you are.
    They claim to cover you with $1,000,000 of insurance, but only if you agree to be fully liable for any damages.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept the fact that the drivers know best. Not you. You are just a over paid dude sitting in a office somewhere. The drivers are the heart of uber, the front line. Do whatever the drivers tell you to do.

Today, not tomorrow, but today, find the person that thought it was a good idea to tell users that they did not have to tip, and fire them. Right now. Users want to tip but cant, so they end up feeling like cheapskates. It's unpleasant for them.

Do you really need 20% for hosting an app. Keep it up and someone with a lower fee will steal your drivers away.

You are valued at 3.5 billion but don't have a support number. Are you kidding?

Running a billion dollar business is more then hanging out by the pool or flying in airplanes to give a 1 hour speech. You if don't start acting like a billion dollar company, you will get overrun and fade away.

Great work place at least at HQ. Different cities and driver might have a very different experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsI was surprised about the amount of smart to very smart people working here. The company culture makes it so everybody learns from each other, and at least for my software engineer position, it makes the job much more interesting. Compensation is not competitive for the bay, but people bet on the stocks, and if you believe in it, it is a game changer in comparison with higher salaries you could get somewhere else.
    My favorite part is that most people ( if not all ? ) are truly passionate about what they're doing here and we thrive with the belief that we're making a difference for people.
    Perks are better than what they sound like during the interview.

ConsThis company requires a LOT of work. I'm not talking about startup like, you will get emails at any time of day or night, week days and weekends. Some of them you will be expected to respond. It looks fine for most people because everybody is very involved in what they're doing, so most people don't seem to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if some burn out quickly.
    The company is also growing at a fast rate, which makes it difficult to know if things are still gonna be as good in the future ( so far so good though... )

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to control our growth internally to pursue our external growth properly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the work you do.

Community Operations Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsWork with smart people in a challenging, fast paced, and fun environment - working here is life changing.

The people I work with are now some of my closest friends. They are without a doubt some of the most passionate, brilliant, hard working individuals I have had a privilege to know. On top of they are people that I truly care about and feel truly care about me - everyone is rooting for one another to succeed.

I could not imagine a company that has inspired me to learn more, be better, and push harder. I feel ownership over the work that I do and the growth that I see in the company. Everyday is a new experience, a new problem to solve, or a new question to answer.

The work/life balance is challenging, but people have fun and have a sense of humor. People share interests, spend time together outside of the office, and celebrate hard work. We're obsessed with Uber - it's a requirement.

ConsAs much a pro as it is a con - there is a degree of uncertainty in working here. The company is changing fast and if you're not ready for it, you can get whiplash.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! We have a transparent and open culture, it's unlike any other place in the world.

Uber , a great parttime /fulltime job

Driver (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros1) You truly decide your own hours
    2) You put the hours in you earn the money
    When I work 8 hours my cut is usually 150-180
    3)No cash to carry you are assured getting paid
    4)A relatively young , upscale clientele
    5)99% of the people love the service

Cons1) Not have a driver suuport number.....UBER is valued at 14 billion ...Email is fine for most things I agree but many issues can be answered in 30 seconds in a phone call that takes 24-48 hours by email.

Just for example where a 30 second phone call would answer a question one needs to send a series of emails over a period of days to get simple issues resolved

2)Very unfair rating system....for certain and I have heard this from 2 drivers of the big cab company out in Phoenix , cabbies get a uber account with the free bonus available and intentionally give drivers bad ratings.

As a driver you are assumed guilty of anything the customer says about you

3)I am not saying this is currently the case but my biggest concern is an oversaturation of drivers in my area.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I think bringing this product to market has been a godsend to many........that said drivers would like to feel they have some voice.

Driving for Uber is Alright

Uber Driver (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsYou get to pick your own hours and meet lots of cool and interesting people. You just chill in your car all day and drive people around. Uber is definitely the future of transportation, so it's cool getting in on it while it's still young. You can make connections and network with people in the field that you're trying to make it in. You can make quick money when there's a good ratio of riders to drivers online.

ConsYou would probably have to work 50+ hours to make a decent living driving, all that time in the car is bad on the back. Drunk people after 1am are really obnoxious, but you can choose not to work then. It's hard to get motivated to work if you don't motivate yourself. Sometimes people are rude and make you wait outside their place while they finish getting ready; you aren't getting paid while you wait on them. You also don't get paid if you drive for hours online and don't get a ride; it's like basically wasting hours of your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be cool if there was a button for the rider to push to leave a tip through the app. Also, I would like for riders to have the option to leave a reason why they didn't give a driver 5 stars. I do wonder why I don't get perfect ratings all the time.

Amazing!!! Made $400 in 3 hours on my first day!

Uber Driver (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsGreat for students! I make way more money doing this, opposed to working some crapy job on campus. I do homework while waiting for my next trip. Meet new people, paid a lot of money for little work, weekly.

ConsRating system sucks! Get rid if it. Never personally/verbally talked to one person from Uber

Advice to Senior ManagementSome acknowledgement would be nice... We are making you a lot of money....

Real truth from a DC uber driver

Uber Driver (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsMeeting great people, making money weekly and getting paid weekly. I love the concept and the customers seems to love it as well.

ConsCanceled rides after you get there and not getting paid for them. Long weekend hours to really make a decent wage. High weekly expenses like gas, oil, etc. Plus mileage you are putting on car. The rating system is really one sided because customers will aways get picked up even with bad rating, drivers need the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the rating system and give drivers an opportunity to give feedback about certain rides. Add additional choices to the cancellation or allow a typed in response for other.

Mostly Good, but needs improvement

Former Uberblack/Current Uberx Driver (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsUBER is an amazing concept with many future applications for the transportation industry. Delivery of all kinds can be made on this platform.

As a driver for over 6 months I enjoy being paid WEEKLY. I like the flexible hours and the easy of use. The technology has gotten better with correct locations of the riders,fewer glitches in calculating the fares. I definitely have a lot of respect for the vision and aggressive introduction and roll out in Los Angeles. Many riders have good things to say and the app/ brand.

IT is cheaper than a cab, and allows the rider to be picked up a lot faster in most cases.

Uber has even helped me to finance a new car. I love my new car and riders like it as well. A big plus for developing partnerships with large local dealers and finance companies. Everybody is making money with these arrangements. Uber gets more and better cars on the road, Drivers get reliable transportation, Dealers add a ton of new business, and the finance company can make a mint. There's nothing wrong with making money. This leads me to the problems that should be addressed.

Cons1) The number one problem is the RATING SYSTEM. It is not transparent or fair to the customers or drivers. I recently checked my daily driver rating, I had only driven 5 passengers that entire day, The rating was at 3 out of 5 for the day. On each individual trip on the driver screen, the rating was at 5 out of 5. I'm left wondering how that is possible. The only explanation I can think of is that Uber is not being transparent. As a good driver, I'd like to know where I went wrong with the customer (or UBER) if they rated me poorly. I understand if uber does not want to single out clients who rated a driver poorly (by indicating 5 stars to the driver and concealing the actual rating) but how can you improve if you don't know what you did wrong?

This is very frustrating as a driver. I like driving for UBer but I really hate the Rating system and I may stop or limit driving. It's like being unappreciated. Appreciation is worth more than MONEY to me. I work in a service industry because I actually like people, what did I do wrong?

Even when a customer is drunk, loud, smells like hot garbage, uses foul language, asks me to turn up the music way too loud, I accommodate them and give them 5 stars. Why? They are paying customers and unless they want to do drugs( yes, some have tried) smoke or throw up in my car, I will not make a big deal about it. 5 stars. I know, I do my best, but to be threatened by customers with low ratings is Not worth the trouble.

I'd be in favor of eliminating all ratings. Let drivers and customers leave comments (that Only Uber can see) and then UBer can address their concerns with the driver or customer. The Rating creates a bias for the driver of customers with low ratings and vice versa. Each experience should stand on its on. Feed back in stars, and not in words is USELESS feedback. Imagine me rating UBER a 2 stars without the commentary, it would not help at all. I believe everyone wants to do better, they just need to know how.

I consider myself a professional. I am courteous and drive safely and most of the time I drive a good route (don't get lost). But if I do a poor job, I would like to know how to fix it before Uber wants to deactivate my account for low ratings or low revenues.

2) UBER hides behind e-mail. They have no way to talk with a real person when their so called driver partner needs them. I wouldn't mind if UBer charged $.25 cents a ride in order to provide DRiVERS with a live account manager. Or at least someone to talk to during
    normal business hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementHIgh TEch and NO TOuch is not a good long term strategy. Your customers will eventually go well beyond cabs, so build a reliable happy DRIVER core. We all need the customer, but don't treat drivers poorly or allow customers to rate us without passing the info to us. Be transparent. Imagine going to a restaurant where a customer sees a poor rating stapled on the name tag of their waitress. It will give you a bias toward that person (scarlet letter effect). Why not allow the customer who doesn't like a certain driver to just BLOCK that driver, or Allow a driver to BLOCK that customer, rather than seeing a useless rating with no words to back it up. CReate a FAVORITE driver list. People like uber and will prefer to pay through UBER cashless so don't be afraid of allowing people to connect. Waiting 10 extra minutes for a driver I already like is better than having a bad experience with a new driver.

FIX the RATINGS or ELIMINATE THEM.

The driver is a major part of the overall experience but can unfairly suffer from the pricing of a trip, traffic, alcohol, or passive aggressive personality of some riders.

Uber is an outstanding company that values employees/contractors!

Community Support Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFlexible schedules for remote employees, great leadership, outstanding training and support, fun work environment

ConsThis position is temporary. This is a new position, so we must adapt to changes/updates quickly. It's a learning experience for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!