Uber

Updated 27 January 2015
3.4

Uber CEO, Founder Travis Kalanick
Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Uber brings in a culture that allows for innovation and fast paced development (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours though you will hardly notice as the work is very exciting (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

General Manager

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Work with amazing people all over the world, tons of autonomy. Be part of one of the fastest growing companies in history. ~250 cities in just over 4 years!!

Cons

We do work very hard. Every person you meet will want to talk about Uber!

Keep the standard of employees super high!

Terrible Employer, Use and abuse drivers.

Former Employee - Driver in Sydney
    Former Employee - Driver in Sydney

I worked at Uber part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast Money, work when you want.

Cons

Here in Sydney Australia Uber treat their drivers like complete expendable garbage. Their so called rating system is absolutely appalling and hard to understand. Uber management informed me that complaints were made against me and they cancelled my account and refused to tell me what the complaints were or ask me my side of the story. They told me they had enough drivers and go away. There have teenagers running their Sydney office who have highly unprofessional, rude and tactless.

The Uber clientele I was picking up on weekends were absolutely disgusting and really disrespectful.
    A lot of intoxicated people on drugs and alcohol. Some of them really stank too, not just reeking alcohol but urine too. Some thought is was ok to drink alcohol in my car and leave empty bottles, or put their dirty feet up on the car windows while lying all over the back seat. I was asked for sex from a number of intoxicated customers. Some of them actually touched and rubbed my torso and arms. There were also some racist customers. I had a number of comments and questions made to my face about my race and religion.
    The customers would be lucky to even remember you to give you a good rating or a rating at all. And would certainly give you a bad rating for rejecting their drunken advances or telling them to stop putting their feet on the windows.
    So you can't win either way with Uber as they will always take the customers side no matter how disgusting their behaviour was. If you live in Sydney don't do it. Its awful.

Being extremely unprofessional the Uber management will unfairly dismiss you without any notice, feedback and hide from you what the actual problem was. If there actually was a problem. Because this is an illegal service, the Uber management know that the drivers cant go to the Dept of Fair Trading or the Fair Work Ombudsman for unfair dismissal & bad treatment as it was brought to my attention recently that the NSW Roads and Maritime Authority says Uber and ride sharing for money is highly illegal and heavy fines will be issued to persons caught providing this service. This information I found on their website as well as a fellow driver being issued with an official warning.

Pull your head out of your back side and treat people with some respect. Learn some professionalism.

Get in the thick of an international growth startup

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom; especially for the newer, international cities. Having come from a startup background I've had no trouble adjusting, just the right amount of oversight and high level goals combined with support from someone who has done it before. The pace of growth - this company grows month-on-month what most established companies do in a year. You'll learn how to scale first-hand
    Super transparent. You can see everything. As a data-nerd this is amazing. The data is the single best reason for working at Uber.
    Culture is awesome (for someone who's never done the whole silicon valley thing before, that's the experience you get). You are working with world-class talent. I've met a couple hundred people here, not one of them is a person I would not want to work with. People are passionate, smart and focused. Uber will make you a more capable employee, better entrepreneur and impart that ability to get the right sh*t done so no matter what you do or where you go next, you will be able to do it better.

Cons

Can be tough for detail oriented individuals. I'm borderline OCD (self-diagnosed!) and the engineer in me twitches every time I do the time-saved vs. time-taken trade-off in terms of "Do I write a script to automate this?" or "Do I set up auto-calculate in this sheet". Things are changing and scaling so rapidly that you'll need to be flexible on level of detail and really firm on making sure you use time as efficiently as possible
    Time (again for the internationals); you will never have enough of it. For the international operational roles Uber is still very much in expansion mode and it will consume all of your waking hours. Expect to work... a lot. But for the right candidate this won't be a problem.
    That goes for compensation as well. This isn't an amazing compensation package for the amount of work you do. If your sole metric is $ then this probably isn't the right role. If you want something engaging, consuming, amazing, frenetic and passionate then this is the job for you.

Transparency, culture and communication is 5* right now and I'm confident that Uber is up to the challenge of maintaining that as the organisation grows.

Live it! (and little else...)

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Constantly moving, growing and changing. You will have the opportunity to dream big and make things happen at a fast pace and see results almost instantly. You are a part of a company making a global impact and shifting history in a big way, you're surrounded by brilliant minds, and you get to embrace and celebrate the city you're in by working with amazing people and influencers, large brands and events. Your team will become your family as you all work towards the same goals.

Cons

Work life balance? If you're not prepared to throw your EVERYTHING in to your role this company isn't for you.

Review of Uber

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Flexibility easy to start, easy to quit!

Cons

Review Uber

Before people in Uber tempt you to drive for Uber and earn 30$/hour easily, let me tell you some points which Uber wont tell you!

Is Uber safe for driver?

Unfortunately no! if someone hurts you are kiils you while driving for Uber the only thing you can do is to mail uber and they will block the person if he does it twice! Remember to lodge a complaint you have to be alive

Also, as you are a contractor, not an employee of Uber, so you are not insured while driving, so your loved ones wont get any compensation.

Is your Car safe?

No! as you are driving more and more that too mainly in the city, you have more chances of getting your car damaged, your insurance will cover the cost of damage, but we all know how much does insurance premium increase if we make a claim.

Is your license safe?

Of course Not!

One driver lost 6 points of his license and 600$ fine as 3 of his passengers were not wearing seat belts!

As you are driving a private car, driver is responsible for the passenger's seat belts.

Also, you cant stop at bus stops or use taxi-bus lanes as you are not driving a cab. If somebody makes you to stop at bust stop you have to pay a heavy fine. Then there are crazy people who push you to go faster than speed limits and jump Trafic lights because they are in hurry, all these will lead you to use Uber as a rider in few months!

Is it really 30$/Hr

No that is not true!

When Uber says 30$/Hr they mean 30$/Hr in total, from which they will deduct their 20% and refund some people if Uber thinks you had not used the efficient route. Then you have to pay for your fuel, tool,car maintenance, water for passengers etc what will be left in your hand in 10-15$/Hr.

So you will earn 10-15$/Hr at the risk of your life, car, license.

Marketing Manager

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Entrepreneurial, doing amazing things you are proud of, reputation, cohort / network of great people around the world.

Cons

If work life balance is your thing, then Uber is not for you.

Really Unique Company/Growing Pains/Loving it

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Smartest people. Hard workers. Immensely passionate group. Fun people. Growing like crazy. Believes in its cause. Get to watch a company transition to scale. Young.

Cons

If work life balance is super important to you...might not be the best role. Ironing out some transitions to scale. Salaries aren't high but options are the attraction for most. Could use more executive level management. Sometimes push people a little hard (though i love this too).

Great experience and great money if you are hungry

Current Employee - Uber Driver in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Work for yourself and make your own schedule, if you can handle working late on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with a couple week days you can make 1000.00 plus easy.

Cons

You have to be on the ready when on line and committed for 9 hours to get full pay, no tips

give more incentive to drivers such as paying for tire rotations and oil changes and with those exceptional drivers offer a car payment of that month of up to 300.00

A future oriented sometimes overzealous tech company.

Current Employee - Uber Partner in Waco, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Partner in Waco, TX (US)

I have been working at Uber part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Set your own hours.
    Potential for great part time pay.
    Decent incentives including discounts on auto places and health insurance.
    Meet some good people and make some good connections and great stories.
    Mostly quick with responses to inquiries.

Cons

Have a chance to run into some less than pleasant riders.
    If they offer 'guarantees' they take 20% off as if it was a fare, company takes 20% off everything you earn, which can be deceptive to those who don't know what to look for.
    Take out taxes, gas, and maintenance on your own and pay becomes quite small, but the more you work the more 'worth it' it becomes.
    Responses to inquiries can feel very cut and paste or automated and less than helpful, depending on who you get in touch with.
    Application can be very glitchy at times, causing sometimes serious issues.

Take care of bugs in the applications.
    Be more attentive to your drivers.
    Be more straightforward with the payscale. (Guarantees, fees, etc)
    Be more straightforward and forthcoming with information. (Heat map, Busy Hours, Rider feedback)

Driver

Current Employee - Uber Driver in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Pros of my current Job is great because i am my own boss and i can make my own hours and driver for as long as i want.

Cons

The cons of my current job is that my car takes a beating in miles and gas and i have to pay my own taxes and no true security in the company.

One advice would be to management would be really take care of your drivers with better options of insurance and car financing because it truly sucks

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo