Ulta Beauty
www.ulta.com Bolingbrook, IL 5000+ Employees

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Mary Dillon

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount on product as well as salon services"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Good discount on salon services"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management does not invest in their employee's training and knowledge"
    in 37 reviews
  • "It was okay for me because I didn't need to earn much from a part time job"
    in 34 reviews

ProsGratis
Amazing Peers
Great Clientele
Rapid advancement
Great variety of product to accomodate guests

ConsNot enough hours to complete tasks and service guests

OK to start with

Prestige Manager (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGratis
no commission environment
many awesome brands
less formal than department stores

Consno guaranteed hours
work load gets overwhelming
upper management bullies you to work as a cashier

Advice to Senior ManagementPay competitive wages to your top talents or they will leave. Give full time stable hours.

Double Standards

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay, gratis, good benefits

ConsMainly hires from outside instead of promoting from within, picks and chooses which policies to enforce. Not consistent with reprimanding. Open door policy is not confidential. Nepotism policy is ignored. Ignores federal labor laws. Claims to be customer service oriented but more operations oriented. Not enough hours budgeted to stores to achieve tasks. Company contradicts it's "core values" DMs only communicate with GMs. Does not follow through with promises. Changes districts often along with DMs. Focuses on negativity and not positives. Rewards Insubordination and underachievers Expects for employees to push things on guests instead of hearing guests needs and building trust. Will give anything to guests to "shut them up". Has policies for returns, GWPs, etc and expects management to enforce these policies but will override them if a guest complains, thus making the employee look like the bad guy or rude. Has no compassion for sickness or chronic illnesses. Corporate turns breast cancer awareness month into a sales goal instead of a charity drive. Company wants employees to hold events during specific times (breast cancer) but will not allow community events or partnerships with other organizations. Doesn't do any local donations. Damages perfectly usable product instead of donating it to women's shelters, hospitals, and other local programs (either way it would be a tax write off) Doesn't follow up with employees or employees goals for growth. Awful Ethics all around.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the GM isn't the only one who makes your company a success. Listen to all of your managers. Spend more time in your stores and find out what REALLY goes on in all aspects of business. Focus less on small things and more on the major things. Remember that your employees are the face of your company not the DM's, RVPs, or CEOs. Be more consistent with your management across the board. Every DM executes policies different so the team stays confused and discouraged. More training and meetings for management esp salon managers. Help them grow instead of PIP's Company terminates great help while keeping awful and unruly associates and stylists. CEO needs to investigate what really goes on throughout the entire company. A lot of lawsuits are waiting to happen.

The best thing was the 25% discount.

General Manager (Former Employee)
Montgomery, IL (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

ProsOne of the worst jobs ever! Ulta will not pay their employees enough money to retain qualified people to work in this environment, always short handed by the weekend, because of the last minute payroll cuts. The stock was never merchandised properly, because of payroll cuts. So many shop lifters and Ulta will not pay for security, yet they expect all employees to carry a plastic bag in and out of the store. You must be "bag checked" by a manger in front of the camera before exiting the building. This includes waiting after you have logged out for your 30 minute "meal time" while there is one manager on duty, who has a line of 25 "guests" waiting pay for their products. If you are lucky and they manager is not in a bad mood, she will try to step away from the register to "bag check" you while the guests are stuffing products from the grab and go into their purses. I have never seen anything so unprofessional in my life. I do not think it was just the location I was at either. Too many vendor's said it was like that at every location. It is called the Ulta curse.

ConsIt is impossible to complete a days work because you never have a full staff, even on weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being so greedy. Stop the last minute pay cuts, Promote from with in, rather than going the Old Navy or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Prestige Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

ProsWe as prestige consultants would receive gratis from prestige lines.

ConsManagement does not give appropriate support.

Company has one focus: expand in size without planning for the future.

Specialty Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

ProsHigh base salary per hour, flexibility with scheduling

ConsLow employee discount (people come in with coupons for the same amount), constantly getting hours cut when store is slow, no loss prevention tactics, gratis is at the hands of manager

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your lower-level employees on a more communicative basis with management. Give more incentives to being an employee (i.e. consistent gratis, higher employee discount, rewards program, etc) and do something about store theft that leave employees with weekly pay cuts, give more a meaning behind ULTA's culture and values so that employees can actually live them out, focus on hiring people that are truly managers not just interim placeholders

No room for advancement

Esthetician (Former Employee)
Webster, NY (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros20% employee discount, able to venture out into the store and organize products when not busy, a lot of eyebrow waxes each shift (ability to make more $$ in tips)

ConsRoom very clinical looking, not very soothing or comfortable like a spa and it's in the back of the store so nobody knows it's there (so not a lot of facial clients unless the store does promotions). The music did not work in my room half the time I worked there and there was never a clock in the room to time treatments. Managers wanted us to walk in the drugstore skincare aisle and try to convert clients to get facials

I love my Job as an Benefit Arch Expert but I do not like the atmosphere or management.

Benefit Arch Expert (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

ProsAble to do what I love
Gratis
Clients
Discount
Benefit Cosmetics is overall a great company to be apart of.

ConsI would have given 4 stars but the Ulta I work for could so better. Management weakened the score for me. Management is my only issue at the location I work for. No boundaries or respect from most of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't like your job, find another one. Simple.

Good if you want retail experience

Prestige Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree makeup and good retail experience.

ConsUpper management does not invest in their employee's training and knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees

Good small place to work

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance is good

ConsSmall company; growing up faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow faster :)

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon. All 582 reviews are posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees.