Unilever PLC

www.unilever.com

Unilever PLC Reviews

Updated Jul 07, 2014
Unilever PLC – “Factory Italy”

Unilever PLC – “Factory Italy”

Unilever PLC CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Great business to work for!

ProsWorked with many great colleagues over the years and had the opportunity to work across a number of functions and in different countries. Experienced and learnt so many things. Ambitious growth plans, but also very focused on sustainability and core values

ConsHas become much more streamlined in recent years, hence less promotional activity (more time spent at current job level, unless fast track). Has been active on promoting work life balance, but hasn't always worked out for some colleagues. At times not as quick to market as it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementA great business, that can be even greater. The people that work for Unilever are its greatest asset, please continue to develop and manage to their full potential.

Unilever is a great place to work

Customer Development Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) Durban (South Africa)

ProsGreat upbeat culture
    Major emphasis on performance
    Great support with regards to development i.e. mentoring/coaching
    Large leading FMCG
    Socially responsible
    Easily accessible senior management

ConsCareer opportunities are great but they take some time in materialising

Fantastic place to work for and learn.

Finance Director (Former Employee) Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

ProsPeople oriented, international workplace. Highly competitive.

ConsWork load and too many meetings (of which many do not add any value) keep you out from the real world. It is a big shock when you leave the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant change

ProsPay is above most competitors and company store you have the ability to get most Unilver products at half the regular sale price.

ConsMost employees have no sense of urgency. Most managers do what is best to get their bonus not always working in the best interests of the company, often confilcting goals and KPI's.

Great Place

Account Manager (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

Prospeople are very nice to work with. You get to travel the world and see all parts of the world on business

ConsLow pay, and opportunities for career development means leaving the country.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities to progress; good training programmes; ambitious but friendly colleagues; good atmosphere; decent salary and lots of Unilever freebies!

ConsFlexible working arrangements not possible in my role (but may have been elsewhere).

Living Vitality

Customer Development Intern (Former Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsAt least as an intern, you learn from the best, you work with the best and then you at least think you become the best

ConsEven from an intern's standpoint, the workload can sometimes see you spending more than 9 hours in the office or on the road

Used to be a great place to work 20 years ago! (less good now)

IT Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsChallenging and interesting projects; working with and learning from some great people.

ConsAs Unilever has gone increasingly global (from 2005 onwards) the strong emotional connection with employees at the individual level has been lost. It has become a tougher, more selfish world where everyone has to look out for themselves first. And if you work in IT, Unilever is no longer a great place to be, because of successive waves of outsourcing, offshoring, downsizing, etc. IT professionals are no longer as highly valued as before.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess Unilever is no different to other big global corporations. Paul Polman has made a huge positive difference to the company, providing a new sense of ambition and energy and focus. But at the expense of the fewer individual employees who are left.... having to work ever harder.

A Great Place to work

Information Management (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsIntegrity and Sustainability, connectivity with technology and understanding marketing condition

ConsHave to get more exposure on value added skills and the opportunities should be given to right people and on right time

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Unilever's biggest enemy is themselves

Supply Chain Director (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIntelligent people, multicultural teams, team-working ethic, business processes, brand strength, supply chain performance.

ConsInternal politics
    Average calibre, career minded people in senior positions
    Low salaries versus market
    Low recognition for long hours especially if travelling
    HR values numbers ahead of people

Advice to Senior ManagementZero tolerance to selfish political senior managers

Worked for Unilever PLC? Contribute to the Community!