Unilever

Unilever Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Pros
  • Work/life balance is fair but seems to be getting worse each year(in 56 reviews)

• Flexible working hours, great remuneration and understanding line managers(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate(in 44 reviews)

• decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation(in 25 reviews)

Good experience overall

ProsI enjoyed the flexibility and casual atmosphere that Unilever offers. You get the opportunity to work in a lot of different areas of the business and with cross-functional business partners, which keeps things interesting.

ConsThere is a breakdown in communication about promotion timing. Sometimes it feels quite hierarchical with little engagement between upper management and lower level employees. There is little room for growth without a willingness to go abroad.

Its been eye opening.

Technical Operator III (Current Employee) Jefferson City, MO (US)

ProsLots of room for advancement, plenty of time off for family and great people that are willing to help you succeed.

ConsNight shift is a little difficult to manage and there are too many whiney, spoiled people here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work but maybe watch a little better for potential on the line. Try to focus on the positive a little more.

Nice place to do internship

Intern (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Prossufficient learning resources
    great accountability
    fun working environment

Consbias for action for cross function project

Advice to Senior Managementmore links among different functions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and grow

Senior Procurement Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful learning experience, if you find the right people to mentor and develop you the learning can be endless

ConsHours can be long, people can be harsh, and results need to be met. If you can handle that you will be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on removing barriers and automate tracking. People want to feel like they are making a difference, not just filling out spreadsheets all day. If you truly think we are all working so hard (which you tell us all the time) give out an unexpected perk, a bonus, or change the KPI structure to something attainable so we don't have to spend all our time finding ways to "make it up".

Great support in return for hard work

Insight Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat social side to the business, good support for development and lots of opportunities. The UFLP is fantastic, a great entry to the world of FMCG and all the challenges that go with it, I'd recommend it highly.

ConsWork-life balance can be an issue, as the workforce reduces but the volume of work to be done doesn't. Often you need to move site/category/country to enable a step up, sometimes people leave the business for a year or two and come back at the next level up. Progression is slow. Lots of red tape & politics, but often the same in other businesses. Pay relatively low.

Unilever R&D

R&D Manager (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsGood people, collaborative spirit, good internal mobility, average salary but good benefits, company position on consumer safety, environment and ethics, internal training programs

ConsLack of internal alignment resulting in wasted effort, lot of internal selling to do, not very high recognition of R&D, sharp increase in job demands over the last few years without increase in compensation, work level structure with many R&D people in "managers" positions which really should be "directors" role.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue simplifying the structure, review work level structure, better implementation of strategy at lower levels in the company

Nice internship for at school student

Engineering Summer Intern (Current Employee) Trumbull, CT (US)

ProsVery challenging to a student who has never involved in the real industry. Good experience to put in resume.
    Always keep you busy but still give life and work balance.

ConsThe system is not perfect. Too much things going on and need better training for new employees

One of the nicer FMCG companies to work for

ProsGreat to get commercial experience and training, looks good on CV, amazing brands, great/smart people, brilliant values that they are really driving.

Conssalaries aren't the best after initial entry. Huge organisation with a lot of internal competition and politics.

Work Life balance and Flexible working

Information Manager (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGreat Worklife balance, Fexible working hours, Agile work places

Consprocessess are not streamlined and are in most secnarios highly unorganised

Research & Development

Research Scientist (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsGood working environment and colleagues

Conslimited promotion opportunity for career development

Advice to Senior Managementspeed up the innovation process

Worked for Unilever? Contribute to the Community!