Unisys Reviews

Updated 31 August 2014

2.9

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman
Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 23 reviews)

• Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Slow to innovate

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

People are mostly very customer focussed which ensurs a high quality of service delivery and high customer satisfaction. Customers rarely complain about the standard of services

Cons

Ultra conservative, risk averse. There are significant process "hoops" that must be jumped through for very basic sales activities such as unsolicited proposals.

adopt a more entrepreneurial culture that is vibrant and not so stodgy

Steer clear. Do not recommend experienced individuals to work for this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility
    Work-Life Balance
    Good platform for entry level position only (leave once you have obtained

Cons

Performance review is rubbish - no mention of salary review whatsoever and if you bring it up, it's pretty much a NO as all money is controlled by Head Office in the U.S. (seems like this company is living in the GFC period, continually cutting expenses at all cost at the perils of losing the best quality staff)
    Everything relating to money has to be approved by Head Office in the U.S.
    This company is very reactive to news/events that affects them. They try to be proactive once something happens and by then it is way too late.

Employees aren't just a number. They need to change their view that "everyone is expendable and replaceable".
    Change your approval structure as it is driving your company to the ground.
    Needs to work on retaining its employees and yes it means investing in employee incentives such as salary increases, potential bonus, career development and further training

Not a Tier 1 - which offers more opportunity for good staff to get noticed and advance

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement.
    Good pay for the more senior roles.
    Number of staff who have stayed with the company for many years (well over 20 years).. suggesting it can't be too bad a place to work

Cons

Salary reviews do not occur each year...hence where some staff have worked in same roles for over five years and haven't had a salary review in over two years it can result in churn

More regular personable communication by company leaders to staff will only serve to help build a stronger more cohesive and collaborative culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bottom of the Pile

Current Employee - Field Technician  in  Brisbane
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Brisbane

I have been working at Unisys as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Team is good (workmates, that is)
    Job flexibility

Cons

Contractor rates are only barely livable
    Management by abdication

Incentives are backwards - why am I being encouraged to finish work quickly but not well?

Good experience

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Canberra
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Canberra

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great for internal development, support, challenges, type of work

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging

Worked at worse companies but they could be better

Current Employee - Customer Engineer  in  Canberra
    Current Employee - Customer Engineer in Canberra

I have been working at Unisys full-time for less than a year

Pros

Global company with opportunities to work outside your home country, Partner discount and benefits scheme, leave entitlements, flexible working hours, local management

Cons

the biggest drawback to working here is the lack of training and experience of some staff combined with a lack of communication and guidance. the training most staff receive is only as good as the person who trained the person who trained them

Simplify the processes for accessing the online employee portal and reporting time sheets and leave. Have a suitably trained and experienced training team.

A great place to work once you settle in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unisys don't just talk about work place flexibility, they live it and breath it, which makes a nice change. It is an environment of "we trust you will get on and do it". You need to be fairly self motivated to work here and get your head around a matrix organisation but once you do, it all falls into place.

Cons

Having such great flexibility means the fibre that can hold teams together (i.e. the social aspect) can begin to come apart at the seams. As a company they need to gather people together more often and work on encouraging employees to connect more often.

Dissapointing. Company shows little respect for the individual.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Unisys

Pros

International Company
    Some good products and solutions.

Cons

Lack of dignity and respect.
    Poor career options.
    Not allowed to challenge the status quo.
    No work/life balance.
    Management lacks people skills.

It is the people that make up a company. Treat them with respect, not just as a employment number.

A great place to work, but be careful.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Newark, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Newark, NJ (US)

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyday was different and I loved that. I never knew from one day to the next where I was going to be assigned or what I was going to be needed to do. It was never boring!

Cons

My direct manager never had actual work experience in the field. He's simply a "desk manager" with no understanding or appreciation of what a Technical Field Engineer does or has to go through. His ready answer to any problem was just get it done. He just saw the Spreadsheet and nothing else. A more junior manager was a Technician and I more often then not contacted him for advice, and since he actually did my kind of work, was a much, much better source of information on how to resolve my customer/technical issues.

Managers need to understand the work the people under him do. He just can't threaten them to do work they already know. I felt he just made you feel like your job is always at stake if you don't figure things out yourself, but when you do try to resolve it without disturbing him, you get lectured on not confirming with him first. It felt like a no-win situation. Along those same lines, there were no raises or money incentives. No matter how much good work I did or the positive reviews clients sent along to my manager (with me CC'ed on it) I never got so much as an atta-boy from him. The junior manager I mentioned previously DID compliment me but he had no input on my promotions/bonuses. I've worked 70-80 hours a week for jobs when the clients servers went down in an emergency and I was there to restore everything but my direct manager said nothing. I loved the work, but not my manager.

On a good track with new services!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New services
    Security focused
    Great low cost outsoursing solutions

Cons

large company - many chiefs

lots of training and opportunity once inside

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!