Unisys

Unisys Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman

Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation(in 46 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions(in 23 reviews)

• communication from senior management on strategy(in 22 reviews)

Slow to innovate

ProsPeople are mostly very customer focussed which ensurs a high quality of service delivery and high customer satisfaction. Customers rarely complain about the standard of services

ConsUltra conservative, risk averse. There are significant process "hoops" that must be jumped through for very basic sales activities such as unsolicited proposals.

Advice to Senior Managementadopt a more entrepreneurial culture that is vibrant and not so stodgy

Not a Tier 1 - which offers more opportunity for good staff to get noticed and advance

ProsGood opportunities for advancement.
    Good pay for the more senior roles.
    Number of staff who have stayed with the company for many years (well over 20 years).. suggesting it can't be too bad a place to work

ConsSalary reviews do not occur each year...hence where some staff have worked in same roles for over five years and haven't had a salary review in over two years it can result in churn

Advice to Senior ManagementMore regular personable communication by company leaders to staff will only serve to help build a stronger more cohesive and collaborative culture.

Bottom of the Pile

Field Technician (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsTeam is good (workmates, that is)
    Job flexibility

ConsContractor rates are only barely livable
    Management by abdication

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentives are backwards - why am I being encouraged to finish work quickly but not well?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience

Project Manager (Former Employee) Canberra

ProsGreat for internal development, support, challenges, type of work

ConsWork life balance can be challenging

Worked at worse companies but they could be better

Customer Engineer (Current Employee) Canberra

ProsGlobal company with opportunities to work outside your home country, Partner discount and benefits scheme, leave entitlements, flexible working hours, local management

Consthe biggest drawback to working here is the lack of training and experience of some staff combined with a lack of communication and guidance. the training most staff receive is only as good as the person who trained the person who trained them

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the processes for accessing the online employee portal and reporting time sheets and leave. Have a suitably trained and experienced training team.

A great place to work once you settle in

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsUnisys don't just talk about work place flexibility, they live it and breath it, which makes a nice change. It is an environment of "we trust you will get on and do it". You need to be fairly self motivated to work here and get your head around a matrix organisation but once you do, it all falls into place.

ConsHaving such great flexibility means the fibre that can hold teams together (i.e. the social aspect) can begin to come apart at the seams. As a company they need to gather people together more often and work on encouraging employees to connect more often.

Dissapointing. Company shows little respect for the individual.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsInternational Company
    Some good products and solutions.

ConsLack of dignity and respect.
    Poor career options.
    Not allowed to challenge the status quo.
    No work/life balance.
    Management lacks people skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is the people that make up a company. Treat them with respect, not just as a employment number.

Nice company

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsChallenge work, and nice people there

ConsSmall office, really heavy tasks

Advice to Senior ManagementStill good one

One of the best companies to retire but not a company to catapult your career to the next level

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Reston, VA (US)

ProsFlexible work environment, Good HR Practices, Initial Compensation offered is good as per industry standard.

ConsOld and myopic management who have lost track of what is happening around and where the industry is heading ! Negative politics and resistance towards outsourcing which leads to cost inflation and subsequently looses grounds to the other players in the industry who substantially outsources work to offer a very competitive price to it's clientele. Marketing style is that of the mid-80's. Employees are not trained on new stuff, especially when the industry is going through lot of paradigm shifts. Creativity and new ideas are seldom awarded and adopted !

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes , adapt or perish !!

software engineer

Prosgood salary, environment is friendly...

Conswork life balance is not good

Advice to Senior Managementnot much

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!