UnitedHealth Group

2.8 1,581 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

1,581 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some"
    in 172 reviews
  • "Work-Life balance was nice, some positions allow working remote either part of the time or fully remote"
    in 84 reviews
Cons:
  • "It should care about people work life balance which don't happen in all cases"
    in 61 reviews
  • "For a company owned by United Health Group they have the worst health insurance"
    in 67 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dysfunctional upper management

Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

ProsMost of the work is interesting

ConsAlthough they pretend to be transparent and inclusive, upper management seems to be an exclusive club with little regard for staff satisfaction or retention. In their pursuit of short term profits, they make incompetent strategic decisions and have lost a lot of extremely talented staff to competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Listen to your staff.

Good work opportunities; but dreadful insurance choices, and good luck getting a raise.

Senior IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Minnetonka, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs such a large corporation, there are a lot of different areas in which to work. I believe that the greatest factor in your experience will be your manager. Some are terrific, and very supportive of your career (even if it means a loss to their own team). Some are, shall we say, not so great to work with.

But loyalty is rewarded, and you may find yourself following your manager as he or she takes on new responsibilities. If you're more focused on the success of the team than you are on making yourself look good, you'll likely be an outstanding employee and very happy with being there.

There are also a lot of truly brilliant people working for this company. As there are often projects that are broad in scope and not necessarily well-defined, there are many opportunities to shine, especially if you're willing to learn new skill sets.

Work-life balance is encouraged; though again, your manager will be the one who most strongly influences your ability to be successful in this. In many positions, the company offers telecommuting options, which can be very positive as long as you have the personality for it (i.e., can work without supervision and won't be distracted by things at home). As the MN weather can be challenging in Winter, even the non-telecommuting jobs will generally allow employees to work from home when needed.

The paid time off policy is quite generous in comparison with other places where I have worked; depending on your position and length of time with the company, you can get up to 26 days off per year. This includes sick time; but as indicated above, if your job allows you to telecommute, sick time isn't nearly as much of an issue as it would be at most other companies.

ConsFirst: Salary. Have an interview with a manager? Does that manager discuss a salary with you? Do you agree on a reasonable amount? Well, guess what - it doesn't mean a thing. The HR department (known as "Human Capital") has a de facto stranglehold on the amount of your initial salary. Then, as you progress with the company, there are also rules limiting the amount of increases which you can receive at annual reviews (it's based on a percentage of salary). If you change from one position to another at the same grade level, the likelihood is that you will have no increase in pay, even if the new position has a much higher responsibility level. In other words, the people who make the final decision about your pay don't know you - they only know what's on paper. And neither you, nor your manager, nor their manager will ever be able to change anything about that. And it's a *great* shame, because I believe that the compensation overall is fair against the marketplace; but their complete inflexibility means that you will likely be dissatisfied with the experience no matter what you are paid.

Second: Insurance. I have *never* worked for a company with an insurance division (UHC) that offers such poor medical insurance choices to employees. As I speak to friends who work for other companies in the same geographic area, they are shocked to discover the terrible plan design of our health insurance. Not only that, but they only offer three plans; and all three plans are EXACTLY the same, with the exception of the deductible amount and the cost of insurance. I have the best plan available, and I have a $1700 annual deductible for in-network... and *everything* goes toward that deductible, including prescriptions. You can get an HSA, but make sure you have a boatload of cash if you need treatment early in the calendar year. Every year, UHG takes a survey of what is good and bad; and every year, employees complain about the insurance; and every year, corporate says that we should save the amount we aren't paying in insurance premiums so that we can pay our medical bills. They're missing the point; employees are looking for options. We're not idiots, we know that high insurance plans have lower premiums than traditional insurance. We just want to have at least SOME of the same choices that other employers offer.

For me, these two factors (which could be easily addressed) weigh so heavily against the positives that I do not recommend that people seek employment with the company. Why? Because these are over the direct control of the upper-upper management. All of your positive experiences will be at the local level; but where the corporation has the opportunity to prove itself as caring about its employees, it fails. That said, I work here, and I will continue to do so; but I do my very best to disregard our annual survey. Repeating the same requests over and over again with no results leads to nothing but frustration. If you're going to ask your employees what can be improved, you must maintain an open mind and allow for the possibilities that their concerns are valid. If not, don't bother sending out the surveys.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that there be clearer communication between management and Human Capital. It doesn't make any sense that a department which has a specified hiring budget should not be permitted to spend it as it chooses; yet HC appears to rule by executive fiat. It is discouraging to employees to feel limited by an impersonal organization that they will never see; and it is undoubtedly frustrating for managers who want to reward their employees but are unable to do so.

The insurance situation MUST be addressed. The removal of the HRA option in the past year was the icing on the cake. I cannot imagine why a company with its own insurance division cannot provide more three identical medical insurance choices. The only people who work at UHG that I have met who are happy with their insurance are those who are covered under their spouses. Employees of UHG should be in the vanguard of new insurance plans, not eating the scraps that fall from UHC's table.

Overall a great company (Optum), industry leader and lots of challenges despite the red tape

Program Director (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIndustry leader. Some of the best technology and people in the business. Compensation is in line with industry and top performers are usually rewarded. Generally a good culture and programs in place to back this up. I worked in a distributed workforce with many telecommuters which made this more difficult.

ConsManagement shuffles lead to RIFs so that new leaders can make an impact on bottom line without thinking about investing for the future or the employees that got them there. I became an employee through an acquisition and continued to receive top ratings for a couple years and when a new Sr. Management structure took over I was let go as part of a RIF without given an opportunity to find a new home. IT projects move at glacial speed due to red tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you really want to let your best people go like that?

it's a job

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prosworking from home
i have a job

Conshas gone downhill. lots of recent layoffs. makes everyone nervous. bonuses seriously downgraded over last year. no raises ever since working here. productivity is everything and you're reminded of it multiple times a day through "uplifting" (read, threatening) emails. supervisors and managers very "party line" and you have a feeling a lot not being said - if they even know anything - it's hard to tell. people are afraid to ask questions because they get angry. if minimum wage really goes up to $15/hr, i might rather work at macdonalds - seriously. probably more fun for same money. UHG considers this position "data entry clerk." there's a lot more to this than typing in names and addresses. doesn't seem fair. medical benefits are basically catastrophic only. can't afford deductible on salary. there's lots of different depts and jobs but you have no idea what they are or what those people do or how to try to change positions within the company--even laterally. maybe you would need to talk to people and "make friends" to find out but there's no time if you're going to make your "numbers" for the day. they come up with "events" and "appreciation" days but again, how do you participate and get your work done? i don't get it. saw emails of holiday events and "winners" of contests, etc. through the day were all supervisors who aren't on our same productivity track. glad they had fun.

Solid company, largest player in the market, but lets good people go too often

Vice President (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork-life balance (as long as you're not in finance)
Culture was brutal years ago, but getting much better
New Office Space

ConsI just saw some of the best leaders I work with get laid off, again and again
Typical big-company politics
HR is worst I've experienced at the Fortune 500 level. Should get better with new leader

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building people along with business. HR is currently "not in the room" because they are seen as "not essential" to real decision making
Mobility across the organization is not great, and therefore great leaders get "stuck"

It was a good experience!

Anonymous (Former Employee)
Glendale, AZ (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople were helpful and understanding!

ConsThe training was rushed because mass employes were being hired!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour doing a great job with all the people being hired in!

Great company. Not-so-great department.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Wausau, WI (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsOverall great company. Large enough for several opportunities in other areas. Company is financially strong.

ConsThey were the definition of "micro-management". Very strict on PTO (must give 2 weeks notice), heavily monitors your work day, did not feel valued as an employee.

A great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey have work at home opportunities, offer competitive pay and great benefits.

ConsStarting to outsource US jobs to other countries.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people and they will stand behind you 100%.

Great culture,benefits and work life balance . One of the best IT employers in NCR

Noida (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

ProsWork Life Balance
Work from home
Culture & Values
Policies & People Management
Benefits & Compensation
Good and fast growth on the project management and lead side

ConsNot much technology challenging and learning projects for freshers .
Unclear technology roadmap for folks aspiring to become Architects but it depends on projects
No Onsite exposure - but then its a product based corp.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology Roadmap in IT projects
Onsite opportunities

Innovative Team, Perfect Work Life Balance, Best in Industry Pay, End to End work on All modern day Analytical Tools

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Noida (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity to frame a problem, develop solution for the problem and then implement the solution.
A few very good managers

ConsHealth industry is new to analytics. New comers may face domain related problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep this going

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 1,581 reviews are posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.