UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.8 1,829 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights
1,829 Employee Reviews

Dysfunctional upper management

Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the work is interesting

ConsAlthough they pretend to be transparent and inclusive, upper management seems to be an exclusive club with little regard for staff satisfaction or retention. In their pursuit of short term profits, they make incompetent strategic decisions and have lost a lot of extremely talented staff to competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Listen to your staff.

An enormous Corporation with all the good and bad that you would expect.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of possible career paths with UnitedHealth Group, something for everyone. You will find a great pool of experienced and professional leaders within every section of the company. The office settings tend to be easygoing but very busy. If you are interested in a leadership role be prepared to take on multiple projects with high quality demands, after all they are successful for a reason.

ConsCompensation is very poor especially when you look at the revenue that UHG generates. Oddly enough for a leader in the Health Insurance world the health coverage that they offer is very poor with huge deductibles especially for anyone in a leadership role. While the company "drinks its own cool-aid" and talks about it's new culture all of the time, it often feels like a white wash to cover over the ugly parts. Recently they have "off shored" a lot of positions that have resulted in lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere truly is no replacement for a good paycheck. Your company has grown, the stock is up and shareholders are happy but you need to open the purse a bit and give back to your employees.

UnitedHealth Group

Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

ProsUnitedHealth Group is a great place to work. Management really cares about helping it's employees to succeed and excel. The benefits are great, training is constant,

ConsPolicies and procedures change sometimes on a daily basis.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good entry level job fresh out of college

ProsBenefits, paid time off. 3 weeks vacation starting off; never have I been employed at an establishment that offers such great vacation time.

ConsUpward mobility; there doesn't seem to be any positions i can advance to within my department. If I want a higher salary I will have to move to another area of the company

"Was given opportunities to grow with big responsibilities"

Product Director (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsBeing in a large company with many talented people working on transformational projects. There are many opportunities with such a diverse company to progress in your career. Teams of highly skilled people worked together to make things happen.

ConsIt was a challenge to see multiple rounds of lay offs over the years of working there. You work hard on a large project and when it is finished many good people were let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to find jobs within the company rather than lay people off. Culture training was great.

Hard working people who are willing to work the extra hours to succeed.

Sales Operations Director (Former Employee) Golden Valley, MN (US)

ProsUHG is a manufacturing company in healthcare disguise. It is a great place to learn finance, product profit margin, and managing cross functional, global teams.

ConsUHG can be a grinder. Remember, their sales cycle follows that calendar year with little opportunity to make up ground if the LOB misses its January 1 sales goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is often honest; however, timeliness of business driver need must improve.

A lot of change

Operations (Former Employee)

Proslots of resources and infrastructure

Constop heavy and not a lot of opportunities if you do not live in MN

Great place to grow your career experiences.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN (US)

ProsThe different benefits are very nice. Along with medical/dental, you have access to a company 401k and also a company stock purchase program that is very advantageous. The culture here is very good for a very big employer. I see a lot of engagement from employees in so many different areas that it makes this place more than "work".

ConsPromotions are very stingy here. Leaders hold to these preconceived percentages of people that can be bonused so many people end up falling on the sword and not getting a bonus so at least some others can. It's also hard to move internally without knowing who the hiring manager is. Many people leave here and then come back so they get their true value in pay. Seems like a risky way to lose good talent.
    Also, even though there may be 500 jobs listed for an area or state, the truth is that probably only a quarter of those positions will be filled. Makes your search seem like guesswork when you're wondering if a job you like and applied for is even really going to be filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training and advancement opportunities. If a person is underpaid for their position and peers, for heaven's sake it's ok to go over 5% or even a 10% increase to keep high performing talent.

High Risk and Disease Management Case Management

Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsEmployee friendly. Peer support. Work from home. Pay satisfactory. Education provided excellent. Encourage continual education and offer multiple learning opportunities..

ConsWork-life balance
    Demographic High Risk, Elderly. High Volume. Difficult to educate with environment providing internet and online assistance. Population is not computer literate or have health goals within changing health environment.
    Training needs improvement. Difficult to find information needed to complete job aids.
    Some employees seem to be fast tracked with less education and training than others.
    Difficult to keep production and quality expectations aligned.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove work-life balance via decreasing stress.
    Demographic appropriate education.
    Less micromanagement.

Liked the big company perks, difficult to move outside department.

Proposal Writer (Former Employee) Golden Valley, MN (US)

ProsAwesome work life balance. Professional atmosphere - never once met a male employee who showed sexism or could be guilty of harassment (unlike other 'professional' work places I've worked at). Provided innovative and up-to-date tools to get the work done.

ConsHuman Resources is not responsive. Kind of a number in a big sea.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the work life balance. I continued on in a kinda boring position because the balance made me happier than any other position.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!