UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,052 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 260 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 141 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 94 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

Dysfunctional upper management

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Most of the work is interesting

Cons

Although they pretend to be transparent and inclusive, upper management seems to be an exclusive club with little regard for staff satisfaction or retention. In their pursuit of short term profits, they make incompetent strategic decisions and have lost a lot of extremely talented staff to competitors.

See above. Listen to your staff.

Overall good place to work but too much corporate bureaucracy.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good work live balance. Corporate culture initiative is looking to change environment but it is slow. Descent benefits.

Cons

Frequent cost cutting measures and layoffs to ensure bottom line is met result in most work being reactive to current fires rather than working to prevent future ones. Communications is difficult at times between layers. Too many policies and procedures and different internal systems to wade through sometimes to get any real work done. Not a lot of change to advance within the company past certain levels unless you know the right people or worked with them at a prior employer.

Wonderful company to work for.

Current Employee - Provider Issue Resolution Specialist in Springfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Provider Issue Resolution Specialist in Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are wonderful including supervisors and management.

Cons

The 25 week Training is very challenging. I would compare it to army boot camp, especially the competency period.

A great place to work because of the great people that you work with.

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Horsham, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Horsham, PA (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very professional, intelligent and caring staff.

Cons

The company does not really care about it's employees. Very poor increases using the economy as an excuse, even though their stock is through the roof. Very poor bonuses even though they advertise up to 20% of salary, A good review equals 0 bonus in 2014. Prior years were also dismal with the same excuse.
    Benefits are horrible. Anyone with a choice, such as a working spouse, would choose healthcare benefits from the spouse. You would think that a healthcare company would offer good healthcare benefits to its own employees, but you would be wrong.

Treat your employees fairly. Set an example for other businesses to follow. Your employees are afraid to tell you what they really think.

Current employee, RN Case Manager

Current Employee - Telephonic Case Manager in Brentwood, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Telephonic Case Manager in Brentwood, TN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is active in community support and promote volunteer efforts of employees. Many learning opportunities, education reimbursement if directly applicable to current job duties. Above average pay, good amount of time off based on years of service. Autonomy is a plus.

Cons

High workload with many days requiring longer than 8 hour day to complete all duties as a salaried employee. Scheduling time off subject to staffing needs. There is a consistent amount of high expectations for employees to meet metrics, constant changes, with poor communication across the multiple departments. Job duties can widely based on business needs.

More research into pros/cons of process prior to implementation could help overall satisfaction for all involved.

Great people to work with; call center metrics almost impossible to reach

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Hooksett, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Hooksett, NH (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great coworkers; job does have the potential to positively impact customers' lives; direct supervisors were good; training is good if you are willing to ask for help; decent opportunities for advancement

Cons

very stressful call center metrics; emphasis on being "compassionate" on every call but not much follow-through from upper management to adjust call metrics; difficult to obtain raises and bonus because metrics were so difficult to achieve

If "compassion" is what you want customer service reps to provide 100% of the time, then make sure all of management is modeling compassion with employees. Also, management should follow through more consistently to make sure that all employees who need additional training are receiving it. (When one employee isn't trained well, it creates a lot more work for everyone else.)

Work from home

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Lisle, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Lisle, IL (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home every day

Cons

Training Aids could be better

Excellent company to work for.

Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership. Vision for the future.

Cons

Work-life balance was a consistent struggle due to challenges with layoffs due to overall economy.

Recognition of value of staff.

Stable and consistent.

Current Employee - Senior IT Data Analytics Analyst in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior IT Data Analytics Analyst in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UHG is a very stable and successful company. I feel like I don't have to worry about them going under or laying off tons of people. They have a solid future. Almost every single person I have met there is super nice and helpful. Each boss I have had has been very understanding and accommodating to my needs as my family is very important to me. I could see working for them for a long time. Many of the people I meet here have worked for UHG for 20, 30 years or more. Good benefits.

Cons

You can get stuck in a position and never grow or get promoted. Raises are very small.

It was Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from policy , very less work pressure.

Cons

Salary structure , nothing to learn , very less hike .

UnitedHealth Group Photos