UnitedHealth Group Reviews

2490 reviews filtered by
2,490 Reviews
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

Dysfunctional upper management

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Most of the work is interesting

Cons

Although they pretend to be transparent and inclusive, upper management seems to be an exclusive club with little regard for staff satisfaction or retention. In their pursuit of short term profits, they make incompetent strategic decisions and have lost a lot of extremely talented staff to competitors.

Advice to Management

See above. Listen to your staff.

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Your job will be what you make of it.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work for the Optum division of UHG and I love my job. I really do. I look forward to going to work, seeing my coworkers and feeling like I'm contributing to a greater good, bettering healthcare for people. They offer generous PTO, we're able to work from home (not all the time but it's pretty flexible), the culture feels fresh and motivated. Leadership with an organization of this size is often hit or miss but I feel like we've got a pretty good thing going. I work for 3 VP's and their teams, it's never boring! I tell my friends, I've never worked with a group of such young, innovative people. It's exciting and you feel like you're a part of something bigger.

Cons

Disappointing raises, 3 months after the cost of health insurance premiums rose, we received our raises for the year... it worked out to bringing home $2 more per pay period than I was making last year. Yay!!

Advice to Management

Less focus on Wall Street/Shareholders, More focus on what we're doing for our members; Compensation that equals out to more than what employees brought home the year before.

Director

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large, very wealthy company; in current healthcare environment, a leader in the industry. Comfortable offices; most have amenities like on-site cafes, gyms, and updated surroundings.

Cons

Company is always restructuring; smaller divisions seem to operate in a vacuum and culture is absent at best. Leadership turnover is high. Like any large organization, the division you work in makes all the difference.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to keep talent within the organization during restructuring. Reward those who are practicing the core values--currently, this isn't being done and so the efforts to change the culture are hollow.

7. IT Systems Analyst

Former Employee - Technology Development Program-Systems Analyst in West New York, NJ (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and very good work/life balance

Cons

Very large with a lot of management levels, not necessarily a bad thing just very complex hierarchy

8. Great leader support.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Salary, telecommuting, team, management, opportunity

Cons

Nothing negative to say about working here.

9. Claims Specialist

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, excellent training

Cons

Job responsibilities change frequently, high expectations

10. Clinical AdministrativeCoordinator

Current Employee - Clinical Coordinator in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Coordinator in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

United is a great place to work for anyone who strives to make health care a career.

Cons

Depending on the department United Health is micro managed.

11. Great Company. Great benefits, and growth opportunities

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Counselor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Counselor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great, even part-time. Great work environment with lots of perks.

Cons

Required workload can be a bit demanding for the time allotted.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals and expectations for workload, case management, and alotted time.

UnitedHealth Group Photos