UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,328 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

Dysfunctional upper management

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Most of the work is interesting

Cons

Although they pretend to be transparent and inclusive, upper management seems to be an exclusive club with little regard for staff satisfaction or retention. In their pursuit of short term profits, they make incompetent strategic decisions and have lost a lot of extremely talented staff to competitors.

See above. Listen to your staff.

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Rn case management, RUN!

Current Employee - RN Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, work at home, dental, vision

Cons

Benefits high deductible, favorites move up the ladder, no input

Listen to vital signs, stop making same mistakes

Top-down management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The huge pro is that the company has so many work-at-home employees. It's easy to overlook a lot of problems when there is no commute required. The people at United for the most part are good people, just wanting to do their jobs to the best of their ability and to take care of the members. Most of the people genuinely have their hearts in the right place. There are opportunities within the company, simply because it's so huge.

Cons

The company has changed so much in the last 5 years. It has gone to a much more top-down management style. The movement to nationalize every process has disrupted what was a smoothly running process and has created so much uncertainty and insecurity among the staff. The company has adopted an increasingly impersonal and unapproachable management style, going through meaningless displays of "communication" with employees, when everyone knows that to speak up is to be the next target. Yes, they want employee input--as long as that input is agreement with whatever already has been decided by upper management. Those who are ambitions can go far with UHG, but often promotions appear to be based on ability and willingness to play the game rather than on knowledge and ability.

You employ many highly educated and dedicated people, many of whom have good ideas about what will and will not work in local markets, but the current management approach squelches those ideas. Treat employees with respect; that currently is lacking. And don't think for a minute that we can't all see right through those smoke screens you present.

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Sales Director

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great organization with razor sharp focus on initiatives. Leadership top rated and always available!

Cons

On occasion the SMU's (subject matter experts) would become in great demand by sales team.

Keep up the great work!

My experience in company is not good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home facility
    Flexible work hours

Cons

15% variable given only after 1 year
    Not much development work
    More work in excel only

Try to involve the employees in those skill sets for which they are hired.

UHG is a great company but in my opinion, is getting to big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The people (coworkers) are pretty great once you get to know them. When you initially join the company or a new team, it can feel pretty cold and isolating. However, its a big company and you continually run into people throughout your career here. Time-off is good and management does take care of their employees when it comes to family and personal issues. Depending on the department, work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Finding a good to great manager to work for is really hard to find. I've had micro managers, managers that dont care how much you work and are told you need to work more; or managers that are very cold and heartless.

Employees are what makes this company what it it. Reward those who do well and go above and beyond. Even a simple email of thanks goes a long way.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Provider Phone Representative in Oldsmar, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Provider Phone Representative in Oldsmar, FL (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time there. Would love to go back

Cons

Very hard to get in...

UnitedHealth Group Photos