UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,165 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Good environment. Good to employees. Professional company.

Cons

Team members are too spread out across country and world. No face to face conversations
    Not enough training

good

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Good salary
    management supportive
    strong values

Cons

Long working hours
    Too much work pressure

OptumInsight

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of movement options
    Treat you like adults
    Flexible
    Salary
    Leadership is pretty open and honest about where the company is currently and where they're going.

Cons

Different standards depending on the region
    The umbrella is so big its confusing
    Policies and procedures are different in different regions

None

Optimistic Realist at Optum

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large Company, High Volumes of Work, Decent Salary, Decent Benefits, Employment
    Great company core values on paper.

Cons

Basic Corporate structure in which "Productivity" is God. Mandatory overtime. Lack of " Root Source" problem solving. Low employee retention. Demanding accountability from line staff while allowing major problems operationally to exist for a year+ while the staff bear the brunt of the consequences. Example: Cannot hire the vacant jobs due to posting process hold up of over two months (to date) told averages 4 months. Known issues with forecasting, staff expected to work massive OT to make numbers.

Optum has everything you need to become an employer of choice in TN. We are in the Fortune 100, that says allot. However, Optum needs to hire Management who will commit to their work groups long term. Find people who will develop and nurture their work groups. Once you find them, value them and retain them. The corporate world can become like an "orphanage". People are housed, fed, and exist. However,that is not enough for a human (dare I point out the obvious we are Humans). As a country, we are at a precipice, attempting to balance corporate needs with Human realities. A corporation is a thing. It does not moralize about what is right or wrong. What is often forgotten is that the Executive Level (and Management) is suppose to be the checks and balance to ensure a healthy system. It is my believe that the only Corporations that will survive in the future are the ones that are progressive enough to realize this truth. Human beings must be valued, appreciated and have a purpose. People are not interrupting our business, people are the purpose of our business.

Great team but no room for advancement

Current Employee - Biometric Screener in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Biometric Screener in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teamwork, excellent coworkers, organized. Good only for additional income

Cons

Same pay for three years and no room for advancement. Seems like they are interested in keeping me in this role forever. I have applied for many full-time positions but no response.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great place to work and meet new people. Learn about the healthcare industry

Cons

Raises are crappy, management doesn't engage with employees

application developer -- good experience

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Noida (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. good salary.
    2. good transport/cab
    3 . A wonder full Work From Home option (I fully utilized it).
    4. Laptop provide to every technical guy..which is good option
    5. Paid leaves
    6. worklife balance
    7. good girls ... :)

Cons

1. Managers gives you nonsense work to do,may the case that .you are a developer and some day you get a mail that you need to give a presentation on non-relevant technology. its annoyed me .

managment is good..if you reached them ... ;)

Alright company to work for.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Frederick, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Frederick, MD (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there a little over 13 years. It was a fun place to work, co-workers made it fun so I miss that the most. Loved learning new information about the health insurance field.

Cons

Myself and co-workers worked there for 10 years or more then laid off 2012, we wish they would've put us in other positions but just let us go.

Find other positions for those of us who were devoted employees.

A Challenging - Aggravation

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company as far as how they treat their employees. Very positive and they want you to advance and they provide
    opportunities to improve your skills. Good starting salary

Cons

The database software they use is an Oracle software= they call it IRIS . It truly sucks for taking prescription orders and all that it involves. Absolutely designed by an idiot. Too cumbersome and tedious to work with. Everyone there hates, it causes 30 percent or more of the agent's frustration and aggravation. The rest of the frustration is a poorly designed and overly redundant process. You have to work feverishly to do 10,000 things for taking one order for prescription and to give the order status it's like playing hide n go seek for the final and correct status. The poor customer has to stay on the phone for 30 - 60 min when there is a moderate problem to resolve. One customer - a young person -said the Optumrx web site is a pain to just set up your username and password. Every username he put in the system rejected it. He got tired or trying. This is over security - you can't even sign up. They need to pay $16.00 per hour for the sheer aggravation of the job mechanics. Customers call in upset and agents and pharmacist poorly notate the account - so it is a challenge to give a logical progression of what happened to the order. You have to look high and low and around the block for answers and then if you can't find the info - they want you to read training modules and bulletins- all the while the customer is on the phone waiting for a status on their order. If you still can't find it you can call someone to assist you. It's like the agent have to ride a broken bike to do the job. Ridiculous - but it's a job. Even our trainer and trainer assistant said they were in part motivated to become trainers because they wanted to GET OFF THE PHONES. For a insurance company they need to invest money in not fixing the broken system but redesign it with professional and non experience testers to have a better system. Optumrx does not have a state of the art system nor a 6 sigma work process. Most days can be very overwhelming trying to dodge the bullets.

UHG - OPTUMRX Review

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity of function, assignments. Customer Service, Prior Authorization, Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacists. There are also many opportunities for Specialty Team members. Great atmosphere and good training!

Cons

Utilizes UHG offsite recruiters for all positions. This hinders the opportunity for top performers who have developed specific skills and relationships from always being considered for promotions.

Redesign the INTERNAL Hiring / promotion system to allow INTERNAL candidates to bypass the external recruitment services.

UnitedHealth Group Photos