UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.8 1,775 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 231 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 79 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights
1,775 Employee Reviews

Its a wonderful experience working in UHG

Claims Associate Representative (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsI like the Working Environment in the company

ConsPersonal growth, Company Values and Traning

Individual Sales Rep, Medicare NJ

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Management team, base salary and benefits, flexible life balance during the slow season

ConsMore ideal year round for a bilingual candidate which I am not. My territory was moved due to where I reside, not due to my success in the area I was working. The company does not generate leads for inhouse reps anymore. The most successful reps get leads from other companies or buy leads lists

Good place... starting to change

Senior Web Developer Full Stack (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO (US)

ProsGreat people

Consterrible equipment
    new business rules
    The man
    not integrated yet into UHG
    no cubicles/no space to work.
    internet extremely slow
    no longer can work from home

Advice to Senior ManagementMore indians

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for optum

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsPeople, supervisor leadership, ability to move within org

ConsSr leadership, failure to recognize inconsistencies with stated values and actual culture of senior optum leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementLive by stated values

Talented People

Consultant (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN (US)

Prosbeautiful facilities. Smart people, fun and interesting projects. Helping people live healthier lives!

ConsSome departments still run like old UHC

Advice to Senior Managementenforce culture throughout all of the departments.

Great company if you don't work for money!

ProsGreat office atmosphere, upper management is very involved, coworkers are professional and like family. Flex schedule is wonderful.

Conssalaries are not realistic for the area, not enough perks, benefits are expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementClosely monitor supervisors, they are not who they appear to be.

Nice place to work, pay is average but good working environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

ProsNo state holidays but generous paid time off allowances. Management are nice though a little disorganized. Work is challenging but they do consider work life balance. They truly care for their members and are not greedy.

ConsHealth benefits are supposedly not good but I think they're okay. People are not held accountable for actions making progress slow. Pay raises are infrequent and low. Work gets piled on capable employees. Burn-out seems common.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff, especially efficient ones. Make people accountable to promote efficiency. Assess and divvy employee work loads to prevent burn-outs and frequent employee turn-overs.

Great company for work-life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsI enjoy being able to work from home from time to time. If you consistently go beyond the scope of duty, there are opportunities for small bonuses. Management is clear about their expectations and also understanding of life outside of work.

ConsThere have been several reorganizations and layoffs during the past couple of years. As with any large corporation, there can sometimes be too many hoops to jump through in order to get things accomplished.

United Health Group is a very innovative company with many opportunities.

Director (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsGood work and life balance
    Competitive salary
    Diversity of assignments

ConsWith so much going on, tend to concentrate on own silo and not see the big picture

Good company to grow and enhance skills

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsWork / life balance
    work from home flexibility
    telecommuting
    internal openings

Conscap in promotion and internal transfer

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!