UniversalPegasus International

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Philip Luna

New management team rebuilding employee confidence!

Subsea Engineering (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary, upward opportunities, positive atmosphere. The new management team is making a real effort to involve the employees in getting the company rolling again. The attrition has finally stopped and a positive increase in new hires each month is really encouraging. Past clients have begun to return with new projects and working clients are increasing their workloads!

ConsSome employees still carry baggage from the 2008 merger. This is unfortunate because that was almost 5 years ago and a lot has changed in the past 6 months.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the employees, they understand what the clients are asking
continue to build the training programs
continue to hire young engineers, they have a lot to offer to this company.

Blissfully ignorant ?

Advisor (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMoney is near top pay. Delegation of work is challenging. No politics, Evolving culture, friendly environment. New management seems familiar and knowledgeable. I love coming to work.

ConsPast has been unnecessarily up and down. Uncertain future, past loss of employees is still causing attrition due to uncertainty. Would have been nice if stayed on westside, but move not as bad as expected. Let's move back west!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the current course. Get back to better communication.

A good place to work in general

Designer (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule, nice co-workers, decent pay

ConsLack of corporate training, "buddy system"

This company is back on track and poised for growth this Philip Luna as CEO

ProsDue to growth career advancement is common and from within the company.

ConsNeed to have rec center for employees

Excellent opportunities, compensation, and mid-level management. Corporate level problematic, but improving.

Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International full-time for less than a year

ProsHas some great people in great roles as the mid-level managers. Many of these are responsive to employee's skills and interests, tailoring projects to allow improvement in desired areas. Individual managers will vary, of course, but those I've dealt with are very good about recognizing effort and performance when they see it.

The work itself is challenging, interesting, and varied (to a reasonable degree). People are very open to ideas for improving processes around the office. The vast majority of my coworkers are top-notch engineers, with wide varieties of experience and talents.

Culture (in my office) is very enjoyable -- work hard/play hard. Lots of joking around the office. Coworkers care about each other.

Compensation is very good, with lots of flexibility and intermittent extra perks (food events, etc). Unlike most engineering firms, there are incentive programs in place for employees who need to work overtime on billable projects.

The company has demonstrated that it is very willing to invest in infrastructure and amenities for employees (nice chairs and office spaces, etc).

ConsThe communication of company news and vision from the corporate level has been intermittent and frustrating at times. Often times, the employees in the trenches are the last to find out about a new initiative or program -- which may be misguided or could have been improved with feedback from said employees. This has improved over the last few months with the new CEO.

There are some problems in workload balance. Some employees consistently pull 50-60 hour billable weeks (unlike many competing companies, they are at least compensated financially for this). Some employees consistently struggle to bill 15 hours a week. There's a balance to be attained in the feedback cycle for personnel decisions, but it could probably be a bit faster in this regard.

There are a handful of employees who don't really pull their weight -- these probably exist everywhere, but it seems that supervisors and project managers being stretched thin allows them to fly under the radar more than they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication, and consider additional input in the decision making process from qualified and affected employees.

Several mid-level positions are stretched too thin. Finding quality people to supplement these roles and reduce the stress and workload on these few key components is difficult, but it needs to happen.

Too many Chiefs not enough Indians

Former EMployee (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice People to work with

ConsManagers form Amec they actually brought managers in from another company that failed, why would you do that?
They Lie to people to get them to stay and when the time comes to go into your new position they give it to someone who has ass-kissed enough to get the position not the person who deserves it.
They have someone in IT who is a complete failure at what he does since he has been hired they have lost All of their Server Support and most of their Helpdesk people at least the ones who were worth anything. why cant management see that when you loose 6 people in the matter of 2 months something is wrong!
I watched Senior people leave this company for competitors for over a year and noone did anything about it. I watched as we lost employees when i started there was over 3000 employees now the company is at only 750 something is wrong.

What goes up must come down!

Lead Mapping Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International

ProsPay was decent, Updated Technology (computers, software etc.)

ConsIncompetent Management without credentials for positions in which they are placed. The Buddy system remains there as long as your friends with any management or supervisor then your job is safe. Structure isn't there, standards aren't present and if questioned scare tactic emails are sent letting employees know the job market isn't that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher Qualified individuals with a Degree, cut the Buddy system out and work on improving the structure within.

UniversalPegasus needs a licensed captain as it is a sinking ship without a rudder!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros401k match is better than most. Cost of insurance is reasonable. Combined engineering principles allow for a full solution package to the client.

ConsUniversalPegasus is extremely top heavy to the point in which most managers have one to two direct reports. The termination of employees whom have significant foothold in the industry has cost the company projects as the clients follow the employee. Employees are resigning on the average of 10 a week. Upon the initial merger of UniversalEnsco and Pegasus International, there was a total of 1500+ employees of which now there is less than 950. The entire automation department has left due to upper management restriciting their ability to satisfy the client. The survey department is running a skeleton crew now and is in the talks to be sold. The IT department has just recently lost all of its top tier support with 4 key employees leaving in 2 weeks due to micro management from IT managers. The pay is based upon a market analysis which is lower than the competitors. Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees what they are worth and not use the "market analysis" excuse for low pay. Hire more workers and less managers. Train managers on how to speak to and interact with direct reports. Eliminate a few of the over paid Business systems managers as there is no need for 5 highly paid managers leading 15 underpaid direct reports.

Just routine. Nothing special about UniversalPegasus.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International

ProsCame into the company to gain more project management experience. The company gets engaged on projects because of their misconcepted strength.

ConsToo many 'Managers' with no responsibilities. Title is thrown around like baseball. Even a Secrertary is called 'Project Coordinator/Scheduler' etc. Vice Presidents' infighting is very dorminant in the company, with each competing for unhealthy relevance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSteamline your organization. Too many duplicity in functions, amounting to waste. Let a manager be a manager and don't be hiding the bonus sharing formula. It hurts to find out a subordinate earns more than a supervisor. Very common at UniversalPegasus.

Complacency in an immature corporate environment

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International

ProsThere is a pool of employees with an incredibly diverse range of talents. Projects are consistently challenging, the work is satisfying, and instances of pidgeonholing employees are rare. The work environment is extraordinarily flexible and accommodating.

ConsFor most positions pay is around 10-20% below industry standard. Professional development, while not inhibited, is rarely encouraged. As such, professional growth is largely an independent pursuit. Corporate incentives are either token or non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith only an exception or two, Project Managers are knowledgeable and wholly competent. Projects are run very cohesively and, as such, the quality of our results is demonstrable - for now. Senior management, however, is mostly disassociated from the workforce.

As of now company growth seems to be dictated by the whims of stockholders rather than projected industry demand. While there is certainly a need to grow as a company, the current directive is overly aggressive and poorly managed. As a result the quality of our products in certain markets has been steadily declining as we divert attention to attaining unrealistic expectations. Dissemination of corporate information needs to occur more regularly and with clearer, reasonable objectives. The average employee, on the whole, needs to be made aware of where we sit as a company and be given opportunity to grow within. The alternative is to continue watching the turnover rate rise and the quality of product fall.

Worked for UniversalPegasus International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UniversalPegasus International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for UniversalPegasus International CEO Philip Luna . All 30 reviews are posted anonymously by UniversalPegasus International employees.