University of California

University of California Reviews

Updated Jul 05, 2014

University of California President Janet Napolitano

Janet Napolitano

Pros
  • amazing location, friendly staff, diverse opportunities, good benefits(in 6 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with many smart people and to make a difference in California; great benefits including a pension(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking sucks and it costs an arm and a leg and despite increasing student fees there always seems to be budget cuts around every corner(in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, relative to market levels(in 3 reviews)

Career Counselor Intern

Career Counselor (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA (US)

Pros-great environment
    -your opinion matters
    -staff development
    -motivated students
    -great leadership

Cons-location is slightly off campus

Working for the world's greatest public university

ProsAs an alumna, I am proud to work for the world's greatest public education system. It is rewarding to know that my work is helping college students achieve their dreams!

ConsHUGE bureaucracy. Red tape to the extreme. Very disjointed and full of employees who are counting down to retirement who honestly should have been fired years ago. Low pay for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease morale and try to incorporate more fun into the workplace. Also, be receptive to new ways to do things.

Great Opportunities for Students

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work environment and experience. Fellow co-workers are very kind and helpful. Superiors try to ensure good communication with you.

ConsDidn't have any negative experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant and a Graduate Student Researcher

Graduate Student Researcher, Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsEnhanced my technical and networking skills, Increased my knowledge base, Learnt how to transfer valuable information to students in an effective manner

ConsNo major cons come to mind.

Review of University of California (Programmer Analyst)

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsHave opportunities to learn new acknowledges from the academic community.

ConsIt is a research position, we do some complex statistical analysis as well as algorithm design.

Graduate Student TA overall good job

ProsFlexible hours, pays for tuition, fees, and healthcare in addition to a living stipend.

ConsThe living stipend is the same or similar across all UC campuses. This means students at campuses such as Davis or Merced, where rent is cheaper, essentially get more than students at pricier locations such as San Diego or Santa Barbara.

Don't be a student employee (or RA).

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA (US)

ProsWork-study. Free room and board. Learning to cope with terrible situations daily.

ConsOverworked, underpaid. As an RA for Berkeley (and a CS student) I have had minimal time to work on side projects. There is no pay, and I don't have time on top of this to get another job for expendable income. When the RAs tried to protest against management their response was to threaten to fire all of us. They treat the RAs as easily replaceable. It's not a good environment.

Excellent University with a variety of programs and opportunity, should increase connectivity.

Student (Current Employee) Davis, CA (US)

ProsGood professors, Good programs, Good grading scale, alright job opportunities

ConsCould have a better post grad network, Need to hire more phds, Too Eurocentric

Advice to Senior ManagementMore freedom for Professors to teach classes they want.

Graduate research at UCI

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly work environment; flexible work time.

ConsMore bureaucratic over the years. University administrative staff seemed under pressure.

Good study experience in UCR

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Riverside, CA (US)

ProsThe school provide a great experience in learning business and have practical fieldwork requirement for MBA students. If interested in working distribution center, they have many located in this area.

ConsThe expense is a bit high and the location is not close to the job markets, the local business companies are lack of competition and are not actively willing to hire international students.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have many good labor resources in this UCR, which are undervalued by many companies because the lack of reputation.

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!