University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees(in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon(in 7 reviews)

118 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Frank Porter Graham Student Union

Events Management (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsGreat environment and great people.

ConsOver hiring and turbulence in management

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot going on with full time staff such as many of them doing double duty. Fill vacant positions.

a good neplace to do research

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsI am in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department. The lab layout is open space lab which promote member interaction between labs and resource sharing.

ConsParking is very limited. Most of the employees park outside of the campus and take bus to come into the campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefit is ok. Working culture is pretty good. People are friendly and willing to help. A good place to start a career.

Good University

Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsRespectful employer
    Flexible schedule
    Pleasant university atmosphere

ConsLow pay
    Slow advancement schedule
    Parking is impossible

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My job is easy and awesome. Just keep all students, faculty and staff happy as a retail cashier

Retail Cashier (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsGreat benefits, meeting new people, loyal customers, very fun environment

ConsGetting a day off when your the main one that opens up in the morning can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do better in training their employees

good place

Instructor (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosnice people, nice place, do not push you, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge as an instructor

Fantastic experience as a graduate student

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsThe folks at HSRC are great. I learned a lot about bicycle and pedestrian safety. People here are passionate about the center's mission and share that passion with others. They gave me a lot of opportunities to write articles, go to seminars, and do independent research. They respected my suggestions and published my work pretty quickly, which was gratifying. Pay was decent and hours were flexible. One of my supervisors still keeps in touch and gives great advice. Other students and staff were friendly and we often socialized outside of work.

ConsGrowth opportunities could be better. Would have stayed on if I could, but it's very funding-dependent. It's mostly desk work which can become a little dull at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

One of the most well equipped universities to complete a postdoc

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsState of the art facilities, plenty of grant money, exciting research. Great people to work with and a great reputation, especially locally.

ConsYou are a postdoc. Bottom of the Ponzi scheme that is academia. Long work hours with minimal compensation. However, it is the system that is broken, not the institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for postdocs looking for the next step.

A typical graduate student experience

Research Assistant/Graduate Student (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsJust like other PhD student salary, at least in the bio area. You can live ok with the stipend in chapel hill area.
    The TIBBS often send out "Jobs, Postdocs, and Other Opportunities" emails to students and post-docs.

ConsBenefit sucks, insurance package is not good. Not just the RA/TA insurance, my staff friends/coworkers told me their previous jobs provide much better benefit and insurance package.

Fun and engaging

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosfun and exciting atmosphere, people are excited about the research they are doing; very collaborative environment and share resources; people are willing to help

Conschange can be a slow moving process, caught up in bureaucratic red tape; like most university jobs, can be underpaid

good place

Instructor (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosnice co-workers, good atmosphere, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge. almost do the same routine

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!