University of Washington

University of Washington Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of Washington President Michael K. Young

Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good(in 39 reviews)

• Very structured education system and great benefits for student(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe(in 15 reviews)

• Pay is competitive with other non-profits; not competitive with the private sector (but that's to be expected)(in 13 reviews)

Great for science-based classes

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsVery resourceful library research
    Pretty good career center
    Great access to facilities, like library, buspass, etc
    Great quality teachers that are knowledgeable in their field

ConsSeveral majors (esp weird majors with less consumers) advisors are really lacking
    Pretty restricted for equal opportunities for international students (the advisors suck big time)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make it better for the ISS. International students are also a great asset to the community.

Great School

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIf your a student doing the Work Study program, the best part about it is that they are very flexible with your school times and are willing to change your hours when needed, of course this varies by the department you are working at, but as for my experience, the School of Public Health provided an unforgettable yet growing experience.

ConsThe only con I have in mind is working in the Health Sciences Building. It can be confusing to navigate and even more difficult to give directions to others on the phone!

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, the School of Public Health was understanding, very friendly and helpful.

Beautiful Place to Work

Senior Computer Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat work/life balance. People are friendly and knowledgeable. Location is wonderful; campus is beautiful.

ConsSalary freezes for most of time there. No performance reviews offered in 5 years. A lot of uncertainty after 2008.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for students as a secodn job

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA (US)

ProsEasy, can be a student and work

Conswork follows you home, pay and hours are low

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on pointless stuff

Good mission, reasonably good management

Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsWell-run organization, for the most part
    Convenient location
    The mission is excellent, whether you're in medicine or education
    Colleagues are generally very committed and skilled (little dead wood)
    Good benefits, although the cost share for medical benefits is creeping up (~$80/mo, for an OK plan)

ConsJob security is low
    Unless you can take a bus there, transportation and parking are difficult and expensive. Subsidized transit pass helps.
    Skills and job training aren't free (your department has to pay)

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure they're aware of anything I could say here.

it's a good place to work at.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Prosthe weather is moderate and the people are nice. The technology scene is vibrating.

ConsSometimes it can get really gloomy over the winter. The management is not top-tier.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people from broader scientific background in.

Great place to work

ProsNice people to work with

ConsFar away from one building to the other

Nice place to gain some work experience for your next job

Acting Instructor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsLots of faculties to interact with

ConsPay is too low, work stressful at times

being a grad student sucks

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIt is nice to have funding to attend conferences around the country. You get good public speaking skills.

ConsThere is no concept of work life balance. You're supposed to work 60+ hour weeks yet be happy with salary policies that assume 20 hr weeks. There is no time for teaching but that is required too. The health insurance sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople go to grad school to learn, but they are also at the time usually adults in their mid-late 20s or older with bills to pay and families. Being treated like students despite working full-time robs us of dignity and financial benefits (like decent health insurance).

Not a well-oiled machine

Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Pros* Flexible schedule for the most part
    * Amazing architecture in some of the buildings

Cons* Limited opportunities for growth
    * Non-existent avenues for feedback and engagement with administration
    * Lack of vision
    * Lack of interest in educating students and mostly concerned about either money or power

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that universities are meant to educate and conduct research. Over-emphasis on administration, compensation and squeezing money out of everything leads to the complaint most students have - we are caught in a money-grabbing operation with learning taking a back seat.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!