University of Washington

University of Washington Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

University of Washington President Michael K. Young

Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good(in 38 reviews)

• Very structured education system and great benefits for student(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe(in 15 reviews)

• Pay is competitive with other non-profits; not competitive with the private sector (but that's to be expected)(in 13 reviews)

Beautiful Place to Work

Senior Computer Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat work/life balance. People are friendly and knowledgeable. Location is wonderful; campus is beautiful.

ConsSalary freezes for most of time there. No performance reviews offered in 5 years. A lot of uncertainty after 2008.

Great for science-based classes

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsVery resourceful library research
    Pretty good career center
    Great access to facilities, like library, buspass, etc
    Great quality teachers that are knowledgeable in their field

ConsSeveral majors (esp weird majors with less consumers) advisors are really lacking
    Pretty restricted for equal opportunities for international students (the advisors suck big time)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make it better for the ISS. International students are also a great asset to the community.

Great School

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIf your a student doing the Work Study program, the best part about it is that they are very flexible with your school times and are willing to change your hours when needed, of course this varies by the department you are working at, but as for my experience, the School of Public Health provided an unforgettable yet growing experience.

ConsThe only con I have in mind is working in the Health Sciences Building. It can be confusing to navigate and even more difficult to give directions to others on the phone!

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, the School of Public Health was understanding, very friendly and helpful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for students as a secodn job

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA (US)

ProsEasy, can be a student and work

Conswork follows you home, pay and hours are low

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on pointless stuff

Good mission, reasonably good management

Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsWell-run organization, for the most part
    Convenient location
    The mission is excellent, whether you're in medicine or education
    Colleagues are generally very committed and skilled (little dead wood)
    Good benefits, although the cost share for medical benefits is creeping up (~$80/mo, for an OK plan)

ConsJob security is low
    Unless you can take a bus there, transportation and parking are difficult and expensive. Subsidized transit pass helps.
    Skills and job training aren't free (your department has to pay)

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure they're aware of anything I could say here.

it's a good place to work at.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Prosthe weather is moderate and the people are nice. The technology scene is vibrating.

ConsSometimes it can get really gloomy over the winter. The management is not top-tier.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people from broader scientific background in.

Academic atmosphere with great benefits

Web Developer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsFair compensation, good insurance benefits, 403(b) investment options & match are nice (though match varies based on age, contributions are also mandatory after 1 year; I've never seen this before), access to WA State 457(b), flexible work environment, great work life balance, good professional development opportunities (conferences, workshops, learning materials, "POD" classes, some tuition reimbursement but it's tough to use), plenty of smart motivated people all around the University, pay increases are merit based and beat inflation, low cost unlimited use transit pass (or free with paid parking on campus), good bike accessibility but could embrace bike-commute culture more (showers in buildings and more indoor bike storage, please?).

Beautiful campus with a thriving academic culture and serious student involvement. You really get out of this place what you put in to it. If you embrace the culture, and embrace "the U", you can have an amazing work experience here.

ConsThe commute can be hard (time consuming) if you live more than a few miles away from campus. Parking on campus is expensive. Housing & rent prices are expensive near campus. Vacation time is so-so, only 3 weeks to start and you don't reach 4 until your 6th year, this maxes out just shy of 5 weeks in your 9th year. Most graduate programs do not participate in tuition reimbursement (don't plan on getting a free graduate degree by working here).

Departments on campus are very isolated and "do their own thing". Working for central IT would be a very different experience from working in a different unit or for one of the schools/colleges. This is both good and bad. On the good side, schools and colleges can develop their own culture, be extremely focused on their students, faculty, and researchers, meeting needs central IT never could. But on the downside, this leaves little room for advancement, many smaller IT units function more like a start up than a well oiled corporation (maybe this isn't bad?), and teams can be small, short staffed, and you might not have someone with advanced experience to learn from. This does afford a lot of freedom, and grant a lot of responsibility though.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide great feedback to your employees so they know where they stand and what is expected of them. Shelter your employees from as much of the higher level bureaucracy as you can (there isn't a lot of it, but your employees shouldn't have to deal with most of it). Encourage professional development, allow and help your staff get involved in the greater campus community (give them time for this).

Embrace modern management trends in the tech sector and trust your employees.

Great place to work

ProsNice people to work with

ConsFar away from one building to the other

Work-Study at GU Cancer Research

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsBenefits are good & accessible at UW, even for temporary employees. The lab I worked in showed great flexibility in striking a good work-life balance - work didn't interfere with my studies.

ConsWages are flat & low for research associates at the lab I work in, leading to discontent. Work-study positions afford limited learning opportunities - the only skill sets I acquired were processing blood samples and handling biohazardous waste properly.

being a grad student sucks

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIt is nice to have funding to attend conferences around the country. You get good public speaking skills.

ConsThere is no concept of work life balance. You're supposed to work 60+ hour weeks yet be happy with salary policies that assume 20 hr weeks. There is no time for teaching but that is required too. The health insurance sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople go to grad school to learn, but they are also at the time usually adults in their mid-late 20s or older with bills to pay and families. Being treated like students despite working full-time robs us of dignity and financial benefits (like decent health insurance).

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!