University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

University of Waterloo President Feridun Hamdullahpur

Feridun Hamdullahpur

Pros
  • Depending on your boss, flexible hours/time in lieu(in 12 reviews)

• Very friendly work environment with helpful coworkers(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • while the work load is a little bit heavy, because my supervisor is quite ambitious(in 5 reviews)

• The graduate student offices in Davis Center are rather poor(in 5 reviews)

Very stipulating place to work

Associate Professor (Current Employee)

Prosinnovative, creative, good leadership, stimulating, friendly

Conssmaller town, but well within distance from Toronto

A great place to work, but there's a bit of a double standard on innovation.

ProsGreat work environment. Friendly staff across campus. Easy to network. Very supportive of learning opportunities on the job, and of ways to progress throughout the university.

ConsVery entrenched in bureaucracy and tradition. It can sometimes feel like there is competition between the older staff who have worked at Waterloo for years, and the new younger staff who are trying to push the university into the 21st century.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you want innovation, so support it when someone presents you with it. Let go of tradition and history and try something new.

Research Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing grad students and professors to work with who want to see you grow.

ConsYou won't get amazing hours it's just a part-time opportunity and can take up more time than you might expect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience

Research & Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's the best job to support your education

ConsSome times it becomes really hectic especially if you are doing research.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a good job

Good place for math and cs study

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsMath and computer science are famous, and engineering is also a big and famous department.

ConsAs a graduate student in computer science, you will feel that TA task is kind of ... to much.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management of this university is really good.

Overall a good experience

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThe university is highly regarded in Computer Science and pays well compared to most other universities in Canada.
    The graduate student residences are quite nice for what you pay.

Cons- The graduate student offices in Davis Center are rather poor. Most of the offices don't have windows and get poor airflow. They also cram too many people into each office.
    - Expense reports are a pain to file. Finance requires too much documentation. The amount of paper that they waste is ludicrous.

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThe professors are great supervisors. Very knowledgeable

Consneed more resources in research

I really enjoyed working at the University of Waterloo

Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible, great managers, chances to learn and develop your skills.

ConsAt times not enough hours to work

Coop Term

Analyst (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat work life balance with flexible hours. Very friendly work environment with helpful coworkers. Support in pursuing additional education within or outside of the university.

Conslimited upward mobility without a lot o areas of progression. Facilities are shared with students, so anything from parking to lunch will be filled with university students.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the high level of flexibility in the work schedule, as it is a major attraction to the current workforce

One of the best places for engineering

PhD Student (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat engineering university. Lots of options to apply for different scholarships or TA or CA to make some additional money. There are also a lot of opportunities to get involved outside of research to help keep you sane and more interesting once you graduate.

ConsAs a graduate student always try to make sure you find a supervisor with a good fit for your research style. The Civil department is very fractured (no pun intended) and it would have been nice to see a more friendly/collaborative atmosphere between the professors.

Worked for University of Waterloo? Contribute to the Community!