Unum Group

Updated 19 November 2014
3.8

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen
Tom Watjen

Pros
  • Unum stresses a great work-life balance and backs it up by offering a generous amount of vacation time (in 14 reviews)

• Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff (in 6 reviews)

• big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Unum Disability department is a sweatshop for claims.

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

unrealistic work loads. Management has no concern for employees career path

It's a job!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, positive managers, solid company, amazing campus with plenty of extra teams and groups to join, overall very nice place to me.

Cons

The training programs on great and it's very easy to get stuck in one job for a long time unless you actively get out. They are easily the slowest company at making decisions ever. It took me a solid week or two before I could even get approved for applications...

Make a conscious effort to grow your employees, invest in them and they won't leave you for competitors that will.

Marketing Consultant

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant - Field Office in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant - Field Office in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay for new college grad. Work-Life balance. Great training program.

Cons

Job title is a misrepresentation of what the job is really about. The job title is used to attract new college grads, but when hired, you learn the job wasn't what you were hired for. The field offices have different values and goals than home office so there is a disconnect between the two places when they should work together.

Management should be honest and upfront with employees on expectations.

Best place I ever worked

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was great place to work. I can't tell you how much I learned and grew as a professional at UNUM. It's the best place I ever worked. I was a manager and I had a great group that reported to me, they were hardworking and professional 100% of the time. My peers were top notch and some of the best in the business, and even though I didn't see eye to eye with my director, he was a good manager.
    The pay was good, great vacation, flexible work arrangements, fantastic bonus, I can't say enough about how great it was working there. I must of suffered a "brain fart" when I decided to leave, because it was an awful decision on my part.

Cons

I hated the performance review process. You had to have a certain % in each bracket including "do not meets" which was awful. When you take time to work with people and put together a plan and they ALL are meeting or exceeding their plan, how are you going to pick someone to fall in this bracket just so your department is showing a bell curve for the performance plan Having to do this honestly keep me up at night. I spent time with my employees trying to help them develop and grow and then I had to pick someone just so I'm showing a poor performer even though they really weren't. This was a nightmare for me.

Drop the performance review curve and let the managers rate the employees on how they really perform. You have a lot more satisfied employees and the relationships between the employees and managers would be better.

Very Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unum is very good at marketing their products and what they do for the community and employees.

Cons

Big company - many people in line for the same career promotion. Too big where it is harder to stand out than a smaller company.

Great company, slow moving

Current Employee - Programmer in Carlow (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Carlow (Ireland)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great.
    Lots of opportunities.

Cons

Very slow moving, it can take months to get projects approved, let alone started. In that time assigned work can become mind numbing.
    Would not recommend for young, driven developers.

Unum is a great company, who looks after their employees well.
    Identify stand-out developers who enjoy the job for the challenge, don't let them stagnate in their role.
    Identify those who enjoy the repetitive tasks (they do exist), and give them the work that is pushing the stand-out developers out of the door.

Revolving Door

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

The staff (claims reps, vocational, medical staff) are great to work with.

Cons

This company has a revolving door- so many employees leave after a short time there.
    No matter how well you do your job, directors/management tend to focus on the negative too much. I believe they are trained to do this.
    If you are a working mom, forget about being good enough to make it to their annual performance/achievement club, mostly at Disney World. I kept a log, mostly young single employees who are able to devote more time and go to happy hours tend to make it on this list. Women who make it are young and/or single.

Re-evaluate a "manageable case load". given all of the "extra" steps reps. must take on claims, Management is out of touch and seems focused solely on profit.

Coworkers great; unethical upper management

Current Employee - Anonymous in Worcester, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Worcester, MA (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are great to work with; some tools are very useful; great locations.

Cons

Upper management cares more about their own pockets than shareholders. Decisions affect management bonuses positively, stock value negatively. Be careful with this group.

Do what you are supposed to do. Shareholders first, your pocket last.

good benefits and co workers - bad management

Former Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Former Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the benefits are excellent with good vacation, insurance and 401k. the co workers are also good

Cons

the management typical works you to death to meet numbers. they say they care about employees but its all about numbers to them. the pay is not reasonable compared to what someone with the same degree can make elsewhere

if a caseload for a specific job is 250 do not give someone 150% then wonder why everyone is behind. use common sense and listen to the specialist not a number on a computer. use commons sense!

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Field Assistant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Field Assistant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Great benefits and great pay

Cons

I did not have any issues with this company

Unum Group Photos

Unum Building, Chattanooga (Photo thanks to Flickr user Larry Miller, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Side of Unum building and part of parking lot during the snow storm we had a few weeks back. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Always, Erika with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo