VMware

3.6
1,393 Reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • Many companies talk about work/life balance, but VMware practices it (in 95 reviews)

• Great technology, community oriented, great to employees, good working environment (in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is determined by your manager (mine was a known workaholic) (in 62 reviews)

• The company once slim and trim has grown many folds; bloating the middle management (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights

Good not Great

Former Employee - Curriculum Developer in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Curriculum Developer in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at VMware full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I found the salary and benefits to be very good at VMware. Over the years the bonuses were good and I usually received raises on schedule. There are some very intelligent people that work at VMware and make for great co-workers. VMware has some really amazing technology and the products are fun to with.

Cons

My advice to anyone who takes a role at VMware is to make sure you're happy doing that job for a long time because advancement opportunities are limited. The most frequent complaint I heard at VMware was lack of opportunity to grow in one's career. That was true of me as well and the single biggest issue I pointed out on our yearly surveys. For whatever reason, the company usually fills open positions from the outside in most cases. While I realize this can help bring talent in, talented people on the inside of the company are often overlooked.

Increase the opportunities for advancement for the people that work within the organization before you look to bring in outside hires. You are losing talented people because they feel as if their careers are stagnated. I want to stress this is not sour grapes, I rated the company pretty high, 4 out of 5, because I think it's one of the better places I've worked for, but after time and again being turned down for internal positions, I felt I need to leave to grow my career.
    From people I've talked with who have also left, they have very similar feelings about the company. An investment in your people would really boost morale and pay huge dividends in the future.

VMware Response

Nov 20, 2014Senior Director, Global Talent Development

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I agree we have a fantastic opportunity as a company and we do recognize that people are our most important asset.

We have been working very hard
    ... More

Great company, for certain fields

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Intern in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Intern in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at VMware as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a software engineering intern, so I don't have as much knowledge about full time employees. VMware is a great place for those interested in low level systems, networking, or storage. They make great products and are one of the top companies in the industry. Work-life balance is fantastic (may vary by team, however), and the pay is very good. The campus in Palo Alto is gorgeous, especially after the additional construction finished in May. Overall, if you are interested in virtualization or networking research, and like the silicon valley area, there are few better places to work. For interns, VMware is also one of the highest paying internship companies in the country.

Cons

If you are not interested in those fields, there aren't many other teams you can go to. The team I was with also had horrendous turnover (about 70% were new after one year). Specific to interns, VMware provides housing, but unless you are a PhD student you'll likely end up in the wasteland of north san jose, which is about an hour commute one-way.

Good company and work environment but old-fashioned.

I worked at VMware

Pros

1. Work Life Balance - There is no pressure to work on weekends and after hours unless there is an emergency.
    2. Good campus and work environment - The campus is really big, employees get their own space(cubicle or share an office). There are a lot of events that happen every week including a bi-weekly "bash", tech talks or celebrations of festivals/holidays.
    3. Good for people with families/kids - Halloween, Diwali, Chinese New year etc. are celebrated in grand fashion with a lot of activities for kids. Recently, a lot of musicians/bands/actors/speakers have also come to VMware and given talks/concerts.
    4. CEO - The CEO(Pat Gelsinger) is an engineer at heart and knows how to execute well.

Cons

1. Slow professional/technical growth - The company is good for a new grad or staff engineers but anywhere in between is a very slow growth process. Too many managers who were bad engineers or not engineers at all means that there is too much talking but less doing. If you're looking
    2. Experience is very team specific - The core kernel/monitor teams have amazing engineers but the new teams who focus on management solutions have some really incompetent engineers - mostly JAVA shops. A lot of teams also have a bad junior:senior engineer ratio which means code quality and engineering process is low quality.
    3. Old Fashioned - Almost everything VMware shouts old-fashioned. Engineers don't get laptops. For the new age of engineers who are used to working at off-times the lack of a laptops leads to a lack of productivity. The engineering processes are also very antiquated and resistant to change.
    4. Too many re-orgs and management changes

- Focus more on employees. You spend so much on wooing customers but don't pay enough attention to the welfare of employees.
    - Stabilize management - Too many manager shifts or leader changes leads to confusion as to the direction the company is headed.
    - Hiring - Quality vs Quantity

Fantastic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at VMware as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a contractor, this company offered great work environment in a beautiful campus in Palo Alto with top-notch free snack bars and soft-drinks. Most co-workers are great professionals to work with. There's a lot of opportunities for employees to learn and advance. The environment is also conducive to better work-life balance with all the facilities to accommodate it - you can even bring your well-behaving dogs to work. Many employees take advantage of Work From Home system via VPN. This is great for those who needs to be home but want to work.

Cons

This company seems to be politically unstable at the top. It could use a stronger leadership in the management perhaps.

Keep up the great work.

Good company, great technological challenges

Current Employee - Senior R&D Manager in Herzliya (Israel)
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Manager in Herzliya (Israel)

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bleeding edge technological challenges. Smart people!

Cons

Big company, with the bureaucracy to follow.

Perfect place to learn and nice people

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

open company but keep academic tradition. the code review process can really gets you through a coding guru while keeping good relationship across the team.

Cons

dealing the relationships among teams is really a pain.

Good

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, good pay, good infrastructure, open culture

Cons

Very much dependent on your negotiation for salary, industry standard is not followed well

Match industry standards and experience

IT Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have space to do the thing I like.

Cons

It's a nice place to stay, and study new technology.

Great company, fairly chaotic, but to be expected

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are the best you can find
    Work-life balance is meaningful
    Remote working works - most of my team is remote and that is common, as VMware goes to the talent
    Almost everyone you meet would be highly desirable for what they do
    Total accountability and autonomy if you can handle it
    If you have an idea or see a gap that you would like to address, it becomes your responsibility. Making an impact in a company this large is uncommon, but the norm at VMware.

Cons

None that I can think of that are worth posting.

Stay the course with the strategic imperatives.

VMware Response

Nov 13, 2014Senior Director, Global Benefits

Thanks for sharing your feedback! Our employee well-being is a main focal point for us. We know that the work our people do is demanding and is valued. Therefore, our benefits emphasize work-life ... More

Overall a positive experience

Former Employee - Administration in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Administration in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at VMware full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- A good Work/Life balance
    - Great opportunities to learn
    - Overall a good working atmosphere across teams
    - Good sports and social perks for staff including organised events

Cons

- Lack of promotion opportunities
    - Workload can be intense at times (which can also be rewarding)
    - Lack of clear centralised information

- Perhaps share relevant information more freely with employees, although this has improved even in the last year