Vanguard

Updated 13 August 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

UI Developer

Pros

A lot of technical and leadership training available. Gives you access to multiple functional roles outside of just being a developer.

Cons

Just like any well established company, growth may be hard to come by at VG. However, they try their best to elevate ppl. But there is only so much you can do when you have so many employees but only a select few leadership roles.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Valley Forge, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Valley Forge, PA (US)

Pros

Mobility and Job opportunities for those who are motivated. Culture is extremely strong and supportive.

Cons

Decisions are made by committee. That gets frustrating at times. Some leaders care more about their own career than those that work for them.

Trust your employees. They are the experts.

Technical Analyst

Pros

Great company. Benefits are very good. Most managers are concerned about the people working for them and try to give a good work life balance

Cons

Salary package is not competitive as compared to other companies
    But considering the benefits and other incentives the over all package is not bad at all.

Promotions are very difficult. Many youngsters in IT department have left the company because they got better offers in different companies. Vanguard needs to reward the hard working people and appreciate them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

Vanguard

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

Pto..benefits..fitness center. Academic reimbursement. First shift hours only

Cons

Limited flexibility and call center related jobs. Some team leader s micro manage.

Fund Financial Associate

Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

Corporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

Cons

Pay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

Best to place to work in IT

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

Great work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

Cons

Low pay and not many promotions

Stable & strong

Pros

Good place to start a career in the finance industry

Cons

Not one to air dirty laundry.

Great Company , AWESOME Pay

Former Employee - Communication Associate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Communication Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

I loved working for Vanguard... They company is awesome and advancement was easy

Cons

It was difficult for me to pass my series exams at first.

Keep up the great work!

Great company for the right fit

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

Big company that doesn't lay people off. Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time. They provide a lot of resources if you know how to take advantage of them.

Cons

Job postings are very competitive and it can be tough to move up. You must learn to navigate the corporate culture very well. Benefits are great but salaries for loyal employees are downright insultingly low. It's also a very conservative work environment.

Reward your loyal and tenured employees with more competitive pay. Stop putting so much weight into interviews and do more research on job candidates. Make yourself more available to the employees that follow you

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!