Vanguard

Updated 4 March 2015
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 53 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Retirement services

Former Employee - Associate in Scottsdale
    Former Employee - Associate in Scottsdale

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people nice office etc. Good training and benefits

Cons

Once your over a certain age forget it

Appreciate mature associates

Rotational Leadership Development Program Participant

Former Employee - Leadership Rotational Program in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Leadership Rotational Program in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vanguard has great benefits and company values as well as a solid work/life balance. The people are extremely friendly and always willing to meet and talk about their roles in different departments. As a Leadership Development rotational program right out of undergraduate I felt as though I was very privileged and had many more opportunities than regular hires. Granted there are about 20 odd Leadership development hires in a company of 20,000 people.

Cons

As a large organization it is very hard to get recognized if you do not have the right boss promoting you and your skills. Promotions are few and far between. It is very easy to get stuck in one silo of the organization. For example it would be virtually impossible to move from Sales to Corporate Strategy unless you were top management. You are looking at at least 4-5 years in one role before being considered for movement within the organization.

Although the conservative thought leadership has worked very well for Vanguard for many years, to get the type of talent to take the company to the next level of international scale, management is going to have to start thinking outside the box in terms of the people they need leading the organization.

Great company, but slow-moving.

Former Employee - College to Corporate
    Former Employee - College to Corporate

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

People are nice and generally happy to be working here. Good work-life balance. Customer-centered. Great benefit packages.

Cons

The pay is on the lower side of the industry standard. A lot of the people who work here lack motivation or personal drive. Because the customer always comes first (saving them money), the employees aren't treated too often.

Great first company.

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great first company to work for

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities for average crew members

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

They really are flexible when it comes to work life balance

Cons

I wish they were located in the city which would have made the commute easier

It was terrible

Former Employee - CRA in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - CRA in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co workers team birthdays regular schedule

Cons

Micromanaging too conservative better education

get to know your staff better

Software developer

Former Employee - Developer Associate in Wayne, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Developer Associate in Wayne, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

2 people seemed to be nice

Cons

I was given a job which has nothing to do with the interview guidelines and job description. I was misled.

I created a database, which would help management to estimate better the developing effort...but I was laid of because of that

Fund Associate

Former Employee - Fund Administrator in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Fund Administrator in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work/life balance (if your into that kind of thing)
    -Everyone is pretty approachable (except for most of the chosen rotational program people)
    -It is the investment firm for the average person, meaning that the have a pretty straight forward investment mandate (if that interests you)
    -Very smart senior leadership
    -great office location
    - no Philadelphia city wage tax (if you live outside of the city limits)
    -many options for prospected career paths
    -VERY ethical (which is needed in the financial industry)

Cons

-work/life balance can be frustrating if you're a high drive person
    -cash compensation is low for the industry (although total comp is fine)
    -a large portion of your comp is 401k contribs that take time to vest (this can be a good thing if you struggle to save for retirement but can be frustrating if you need cash flow)
    -Many of the very smart people asset management people that were instrumental in making the firm what it is are retiring.
    -culture of nepotism (people in rotational programs receive preferential treatment and have better access to the intellectually stimulating jobs) interesting point is that many of the people in these programs leave the organization after they are supposed to launch into there long-term positions.
    -with how the rotational programs work, after spending a few years in a department you could have a rotational hire that has work 1-1.5 years (so a 23/24 year old who 1-1.5 years removed from college) at the firm managing you.
    -very few asset management positions available for a lot of people that want to work in the field

Calibrate employee's salaries to the industry normal levels when the employee receives a promotion.

Client Relationship specialist out of college

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was fall semester of my senior year and I had no idea what job prospects were out there and Vanguard was the only offer I had so far so I decided to go ahead and accept. The training is excellent especially for those without a finance background. Some other perks:
    -Job security, pretty much impossible to get fired
    -Young environment mostly early 20s
    -Good experience if you want to become a advisor/planner
    -tuition/certification(cfa/cfp/mba) reimbursement available but you will have to pay it back if you leave.
    -25% of your time spent actually helping clients who really need investing assistance.
    -Products are best in class and pretty much sell themselves.

Cons

Some downsides are:
    -antiquated systems
    -no accountability management pushes employees to take as many calls as possible which leads to people making mistakes then other employees have to deal with those mistakes.
    -Zero collaboration, co-workers in other departments will often fight to resist taking a transferred call.
    -75% percent of your day will be spent doing menial tasks like resetting passwords or changing addresses.

My advice to those coming out of college is to really take a long hard look to see if you really want this job. If you don't have a finance background this can be a good way to break into the industry. For those with solid finance backgrounds and aspirations especially if you want to go the analyst route you may want to pass. Looking back I realize now that I could've afforded to take a risk and hold out for a job that would be a better fit rather than working for a year and now looking to change roles.

Work on collaboration and increasing accountability among crew. Allow for more frequent self development and training to keep crew from burning out on the phones.

Vanguard Photos