W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated 24 April 2015
688 reviews filtered by

Overall a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, relevant products

Cons

undervalued, micro-managed, PST has been cut

Advice to Management

Give us our PST back or pay more in the front end.

Okay Company if you like to stay PT with no hours, and don't worry about needing to feed your family.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Profit Sharing
    Paid Time Off
    Flexible with life events
    Health Care for Part-Time Employee's
    Good 401K
    Employee discount

Cons

Lack of Hours
    No Advancement Opportunities in small Markets
    Management Favors Employee's
    Company is cheap when it comes to rewarding employees for good work.

Advice to Management

I have work for Grainger for almost 3 years. In that time, I have seen my hours slowly drop. When Grainger installed there new projected model for hours. My hours went from 30 to 15 per week. Which is not enough for anyone to live on. Bottom line is this company is loseing it's edge in the supply business. If o knew this when I started 3 years ago I would have never have started work for this company.

3. Great company

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Politics involved at local branch

5. If you're a corporate robot this jobs for you!

Current Employee - TSR in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - TSR in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Company car and PTO accrues quickly. Make own schedule

Cons

Zero leadership. Terrible base pay of 32k a year and you're expected to work unconventional hours

Advice to Management

Hire leaders, current managers just micromanage and show favoritism.

Good Company that general care about employees

Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate in Lincolnshire, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate in Lincolnshire, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits package, PST, Fortune 500 company, Very dedicated to development, large companies with many opportunities to move up.

Cons

Intro Sales positions do not have the most competitive salaries. It's more difficult to move to a position once within the company than it is to get a position from outside the company.

7. Good Company

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic Organization, Diversity and Inclusion, World Company, Good Environment

Cons

A lot of trasitions,is good for remote locations but not good for others

8. Bring back the real company!!

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

In the past...The company cared. Pay was good, management cared.. Now. Good luck

Cons

Management changed the culture 5 or so years ago to treat employees like second class citizens. I had a manager tell me "I can get a trained monkey to do your job". Management has totally lost any respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

Remember how this company got it's start,and go back to basics. While the company is still around.

You'll either love it or hate it.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

My role at Grainger is that of a TSR. There is a ton of opportunity here both within the role and within Grainger. From the get go you go through a period of training, and before you know it, you're out calling on clients. The role is largely consultative in nature. Much less going in and selling a product than trying to solve Inventory Management issues. The job also offers extreme flexibility in your work schedule. You're out on your own 90% of the time so you can largely pick and choose your own hours. This can change dramatically based on your manager's policies, however. The position definitely offers a lot of experience. In this role you'll develop skills related to sales strategy, communication, excel, forecasting, SalesForce, organization, and time management. This is a great position for someone who typically likes to work on their own, however if you reach out people are always very willing to assist with anything. Also, this position requires that someone be very self motivated.

Cons

The training that you receive does not prepare you for all their is to know. I've been here for six months and I still feel completely lost about so many aspects of the role. Because you are never in an office or working with anyone, seeking help is a chore all on it's own, and due to how busy you can get, often falls to the bottom of your list of priorities. The job is very lonely at times and there isn't much of a work culture in my experience. I see people from my team once every other week on average. The money is okay, but that's relative to your performance and your expectations going in. I believe on average, TSRs make about $45k, which is much less than i expected. Overall, if you're someone who thrives on collaboration, places importance on work culture, and may have a harder time producing high caliber work with no one to show it to/make sure that you do, then this job probably isn't for you.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more training. It's crazy how much there is to learn in the role. Although I feel I learned a lot from training, it didn't REALLY prepare me for being out in my territory on my own.

10. Good but could be great.

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Good company. Good pay. Good people.

Cons

Grainger needs to tear down their internal silos if they want to continue to be competitive. They need to get out of their own way.

Disillusioned and Disgruntled.

Current Employee - Sales and Customer Relations in Janesville, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Customer Relations in Janesville, WI (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Lots of vacation time...not much else

Cons

Terrible communication between departments. No company wide standard operating procedures. HR told me the position paid $2 an hour more than it actually did and I only took the job at the lower pay because they promised me I would get promoted quickly. they encourage you to submit continuous improvement ideas, but I am consistently ignored on simple basic things that would improve the flow and ease of work. I applied for a promotion and they told me I should volunteer to help the department without getting the raise for the extra work. They used to do company Christmas parties and summer family picnics...now those are only for the senior management.

Advice to Management

Get some consistency in operating procedures. I hear a lot of excuses as to why each department does the same thing differently.

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo