W.W. Grainger

Updated 21 January 2015
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • The profit sharing is very generous and it is a good reason to stay with the company (in 134 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 21 reviews)

• The flat out lies people tell you especially upper management is so bad people do not believe anything (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Stacking The Deck

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time

Pros

Obviously WWG understands it has a retention problem and a hostility among their work force or they wouldn't be posting "false positive" reviews here. Good! The first step is admitting there is a problem.

Cons

The people posting good reviews here are either brad new, because the talent has left and they were just recently hired, or corporate goons. There is not one person i know within the thousands of Account Managers that enjoytheir job. They are underpaid, over micro-managed, and direspected.

Get new Management.

Great Company just bad situation

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and for the most part building I worked at people were ok. They did give us doughnuts.

Cons

Building I worked in had huge management turnover. Three buliding directors and human resources managers in three years. No continuity. Always having to adjust to new regime.

More consistency and spend some time to get to know your people.

Not so great experience, leadership flaws

Current Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products to sale, fun sales team.

Cons

work life balance is tough

Find out how to motivate sales $$$

A lot of work not so much pay or growth

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in City of Industry, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in City of Industry, CA (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team atmosphere, trip to sales conference in Feb, get to use vehicle for personal use

Cons

wage was terrible, people doing the same job making 2X more money, no advancement, no real career path, numbers are insanely difficult to reach (20% growth year over year every month) the benefits are also garbage, no coaching when you need it most

raise the base pay make it so people can actually move up

Overcooked

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good pay & benefits

Cons

Overcooked, and over managed.... micromanagement.

Stop being managers and start being leaders, coaches, and motivators.

One bad leader can ruin a flawless 5+ year career of consistent top level performance...

Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is one of the best companies I have had the pleasure of working for, It provided an excellent opportunity to develop and grow professionally and personally. I can honestly say that the people and especially those on my team and in support, are the most talented individuals in the business.

Cons

Inconsistent Leadership/Lack of Leadership can dramatically impair your ability to do your job to the best of your ability. You very well at some point in time may receive a new leader. Possibly one without any experience leading a strategic sales team. They may be below average at strategic selling themselves. Beware of leaders who are non supportive, and especially those who may display dishonesty. That being said, In the 5 years I had been at this company I have around 5 different leaders as I advanced my career. Granted a couple were bad, but overall I experienced and developed under 2 of the best leaders I have been blessed enough to work for and learn from. These were not just managers.....These were truly inspiring, motivating, enabling, leaders who spent time to coach and develop you to your next level of success. I would not trade that experience for anything in the world.

Bad Leadership is not the reason talent is leaving. My experience and belief is that the root cause is actually organizationally related. Current structure does not support talent retention. However, there is a simple solution that can be test marketed and the direct impact of which is easily measurable......

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I came into the industry with virtually no experience. My boss hired me and I started out making $14/hour. As an 18 year old college kid, this was amazing. There pay is significantly hire then competitors. They treat part timers very well. Eligible for benefits. 4 weeks of vacation after a year. Great hours. No weekends. The work is very easy. Classes to improve your knowledge. Ride alongs with sales reps and managers. Profit sharing. Great place to start your career.

Cons

Not a whole lot of bad things I can say about Grainger. It'd be nice if they did tuition reimbursement for part timers. I know Id be alot more loyal if they were paying for my school. Also, there is a lot of opportunity for growth... if you're willing to move. Turn over is very low so on the local level there is not a whole lot of room for advancement.

Not a whole to say. Keep up the good work. Prices could be a little lower. It's hard to explain to customers why our drill is $75 more than the exact same one at competitors. Also, maybe rethink the RCC business model. When customers call, they want to talk to somebody locally and with a little bit of industry knowledge.

Great Company, Great Culture

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lake Forest, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lake Forest, IL (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance is great, co-workers go above and beyond, sense of family

Cons

Leadership changes and lack of communication

Work with all levels of employees to establish a sense of security and morale

Solid Company to work for

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, great pay for entry level work

Cons

bad working conditions in the summer time

Sales

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Good company... Offering you better opportunity to growth .. And best place to have work life balanced..

Cons

Need to sinergizing among department to increase customer satisfaction level

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo