W.W. Grainger

Updated 18 November 2014
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • The profit sharing is very generous and it is a good reason to stay with the company (in 135 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement if you do not have your Bachelors's degree (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Former Employee - Distribution Center Associate in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Distribution Center Associate in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people nice people nice people

Cons

Some mean people mean people

Hire nice people

"The Best Company I Have Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My 8 years at this Fortune 500 Company included a journey of personal & professional growth in a culture of team-work I have not experienced since then. It was a real work family and I had a very positive work experience overall working alongside some of the hardest working people I have ever met. Benefits were excellent and I had the privilege to work under managers who supported work-life balance. Teamwork and professional development were constantly promoted by the leadership at Grainger as it was clearly demonstrated in the morale of all departments working together. It was a memorable experience and I would highly recommend this company if you have a strong work ethic and you are a team player.

Cons

Advancement opportunities may be limited unless you are willing to relocate to another region.

No advice just encouragement to continue the teamwork culture between the office and warehouse that exist to get it done. Continual communication between operations and sales is also key. End Result will always be Excellent Customer Service.

Awesome place to work. Loved every second.

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

The work-life balance was great. They really care about you as an individual.

Cons

There was not really any.

Micro managed. Only make base pay.

Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Profit sharing and leader in industry.

Cons

Micro managed and treated poorly and can be abusive. Still have old customers calling me on mobile phone.

Treat Account Managers as human beings.

Grainger is a great company that treats employees more than fairly.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great PST. Opportunities to advance

Cons

Travel or Relocation needed to advance.

Significant marketing Growth across a broad platform of marketing and media channels

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

A strong, differentiated Value Proposition to take to market, along with great brand recognition. Able to target multiple market segments with a host of services and products.

Cons

Still somewhat silo'd and conservative even though they want to be more aggressive.

My experience at Grainger is very satisfying.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time

Pros

Good pay
    Fair Treatment
    Leader in MRO industry

Cons

Location is in the middle of the city. Downtown Houston has bad traffic and bad neighborhoods. Nothing bad about the company itself.

Keep up the good work

Great learning at a top notch distribution/retail company

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Community feel, brand name in the supply chain world, consistent growth
    Great profit sharing history

Cons

Somewhat functional in terms of employee succession planning (hard to cross over)

Focus on talent development

Unfortunate Change In Culture; Losing Great People Every Day..:...:Turn it Around!

I worked at W.W. Grainger (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive Training; Profit Sharing; Benefits; Still Many Great People; Infrastructure Strong; Broad Offering

Cons

Leadership......many leaders no longer have the skillset needed to lead teams or business units within the company. Over the past three-four years, the company has hired many external candidates who have then brought their "friends" with them, whom which many do not possess the credentials nor ability to do the job for which they were hired. Compensation plans do not reward the true performance of an individual, but rather your popularity (image) and networking ability.....negative/easier-to-achieve goals, etc. The environment has become so politically-charged, that the core of what Grainger was founded upon, and the great company it once was, has greatly been compromised. Specifically, over the past 18 months, high turnover and decline in profitable business has been present due to these significant business issues.......a very unfortunate situation for all longtime employees who have observed the cultural change, or the many who have exited for other opportunities.

Enough is enough.....change is great!......but, make the right changes. Get back to the basics.....simplify. Great people equals success......repurpose the leaders that do not have the experience and skillset, simplify the processes, compensate and reward true performance, and turn this around! Once you do that, work/life balance no longer matters. Grainger is worth it and so are the people!

good pay and good benefits

Current Employee - Real Estate Project Manager - Field Construction in Lake Forest, CA (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits and competitive pay. office culture in my dept is very good. personal growth is dependent on the department you're in

Cons

some people are too used to easy times and complain alot.

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo