WMS Gaming Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
Updated 30 October 2014
2.8

Gavin Isaacs

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Pay is comparable to industry standards (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with, exciting times to be in the gaming industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A secretary (yes, administrative assistant) is VP of Game Development (in 5 reviews)

• They don't care they will let you go at anytime as long as these greedy upper management make their millions (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work.

Former Employee - Contract Recruiter in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Contract Recruiter in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked there on a contractual in recruiting and loved it. The people were great, loved the atmosphere and met a lot of wonderful people (employees to senior level executives). I don't you'll find an environment like this anywhere in Chicago.

Cons

My job was contract only. I can't think of any cons.

Hire me on a full time basis! I would love to spend the rest of my career here.

Interesting, but odd culture

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

Was given plenty of room to explore new ideas

Cons

Fear seems to be imposed from the top down resulting in work being done for the sake of it

Two-time employee...probably won't be three....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to be in...if you're used to normal, boring IT/engineering work, being somewhere with art, music, games, etc., is a welcome change of pace. Company embraced its long history as Williams Corp., who made the pinball machines and video arcade games for generations of youth.

Cons

Chicago location can be difficult to get to (no easy access from Metra or CTA trains). Company is going through two consecutive buyouts/mergers, and the corporate environment is changing DRAMATICALLY. NO clear picture as to upper management vision, and the old Brian Gamache ways of treating each individual like a valuable commodity are fading away, day by day. When I was laid off, my immediate boss did not know, and I went from my director saying "hey, can I talk to you for a minute?" to being escorted out in less than 10 minutes, with no opportunity to retrieve personal effects or say goodbye to people I'd spent years working with.

Remember who Williams/WMS used to be. Treat people like family, not like budget items.

Jackpot Party

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An easy life but the business closed

Cons

Jackpot Party was closed down after the sale of WMS to SciGames so not much point in going through the negatives

Changing for the Worse

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Chicago office is a beautiful, pleasant environment to work in. Although "thank you days" were taken away in 2014, the company still has a generous time off and holiday policy and ample free parking makes up for it's Avondale location.

Cons

Unfortunately none of the Pros are directed towards the day-to-day work and management. The two mergers in the last year have destroyed morale and the new management leaves little hope for restoring the morale in the future. The company went from from an employer of choice who viewed its employee's as the most important asset to a company that penny pinches and only cares about the bottom line. Management is directionless, creating an extremely difficult work environment for its employees.

Do not forget about your employee's. Employees took what was provided by past senior management and boosted WMS's reputation to one of the best places to work in Chicago. Take those perks away? That reputation has and will change for the worse.

Sad End to An Awesome Company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

Facilities: Gorgeous new Chicago campus - digital displays in every conference room, TV-worthy basketball/volleyball court, 2 gyms, yoga, EFT sports training, an above-average cafeteria, free soda, pool tables.

Product: One of the most fun products to work on. It's great to be able to see the work you've done in the hands of the player.

People: Some of the best you'll ever work with. Will go to heII and back to produce an awesome piece of SW with focus on player experience.

Parking: Ample, free parking. Beware of angry, dive-bombing birds in the Spring.

Cons

Structure: Obscenely top-heavy. 1:2 ratio of VP/Directors to developers.

Culture: Once great - rivaling Google - culture has turned into an "every man/department for himself" fiasco. Finger pointing, non/miscommunication is rampant, and morale is at an all-time low.

Management: Runs on the "Good Ol' Boy" system. A secretary (yes, administrative assistant) is VP of Game Development... Enough said.

Benefits: After the aquisition by Scientific Games, benefits have been slashed. Medical and dental, along with 401k matching, are on par with Walmart.

Dear Scientific Games Execs,

You know nothing about casino gaming, and you're killing the golden goose. Good luck.

Used to be one of the best...now not so much!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance was exceptionally tailored to the employee in most cases. It was usually up to the individual's manager but typically the company was very family friendly.

Cons

Where to start-
    Since the merger this company has gone straight down the tubes. NO Morale among employees, everyone is waiting for the day they walk in to be fired. There is little to NO communication anymore as to what is being done since the merger, which gives all the more reason for employees to feel uneasy and confused. In my opinion this low morale has traveled its way up to managers. Great managers have turned into barely adequate co-workers. There used to be a "team" feeling around the office and now it is every man for himself- how do I prove I am worth saving- how can I show my worth?!

Not to mention- this company has turned into an all men's club.So Ladies, if you are looking into this company, SGI, or Bally's...DONT! You will get hired at a lesser title and for lesser pay!

HR is complete joke at this company. It is not run by rules or standards but more or less who you are friends with and you have angered in the past. Some of the top HR personnel got the job merely because of their last name and who they are married to in the company.
    Training and advancement for employees is lacking significantly since the merger. The entire training department was dissolved as of a year ago. There were no "GOALS" set for any of the departments until a month ago, which is already more than half way through the year.
    Benefits used to be one of the greatest around. Not anymore, not even close. When have you heard of a company that charges you for insurance based on your pay grade/band level!!!

Plain and simple, since Brian Gamache left the culture of "Employees come first" is long gone. It is a company about bottom dollar, how to make the most buck with the cheapest most complacent employees.

Stick up for your employees, fight for them. Dont try and save every penny in your budget so that you get a bigger bonus at the end of the year. Give your staff the titles and raises they deserve when you fire the rest of your team and make them do 5x the normal workload.
    Most importantly- every Joe and Bob that works there doesnt need to have a "VP" in front of their title. I have never seen a more top heavy company in all of my career!

Once a great company until corporate greed set foot in the door!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice new building. Some employees are good to work with.

Cons

Ever since the two mergers so far, the company is nothing more but a downfall. The company is turning into a corporate greed company. Now it's all about money money money $$$. Almost all my friends were laid off so far and more is it's way so the company saves money. Upper and Top Management don't know anything about games. Most have high school degrees!!!! and make millions of dollars a year watching the real hard workers such as, Programmers, designers, artist do all the hard labor. The Upper managements gets all the money while the middle workers get nothing more but peanut shell scraps. We all know why they got their positions. Just look at their last names (ethnic religious). They don't care they will let you go at anytime as long as these greedy upper management make their millions. You work for them as servants and they make all the money doing basically nothing , and you end up working the hardest.

Most are highly uneducated with high school degrees and make millions of dollars a year watching others do all the dirty work for them. They know nothing about games or the history of games. The only reasons why they were hired in the first place is because of their last names (ethnic religious) connection. As for the greedy Ron Perelman who owns about 40% of the company. The reason why he helped buy the company is because he wasn't making enough billions of dollars a year. Greedy, greedy, greedy rich snob. I think all the Top Management should be fired!!! They are wasting money and they don't know anything about games. They hire hard workers to do all the work for them while they sit in their luxuriant offices and get paid millions of dollars with their high school degrees.

Once a great place to work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time

Pros

This company had a great culture but it is being sucked away slowly by Scientific Games, the company that bought them out.

Cons

Management is totally disconnected. Lack of communication. Most of the people on the SG side are uninspiring. They love having meetings but there's really no improvement.

Let the professionals make decisions instead of stagnating everything by having a meeting about it. Stop taking away benefits, it's why WMS was successful and profitable.

Great people, good experience, uncertain future.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Didn't get treated like an intern; I was working as a contributing member of the team. Got some great refactoring experience and brushed up on my Linux toolset knowledge. Team members were very helpful, and there's a thriving wiki for code documentation and inter-team communication.

Cons

Lots of inertia on the technology front, particularly with respect to version control. Long-term demographic trends don't really favor slot machine makers. Pending acquisition of Bally may or may not help, but that's something that will take a few years to really play out.

Push newer technologies more aggressively.